Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm? - Palmtop ; I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using DOS. Sadly today walking ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

  1. Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my
    tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the
    receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using
    DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the
    registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or
    Palm.

    Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS
    based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to
    use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS
    based registers. Are people afraid of keyboards these days?

    Walking into any large retail chain today you will see that many are
    following this path. So sad so very sad it is.

    What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on Unix, but
    are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad? I trained on DOS, wrote many
    batch files, and still know it quite better than Unix (although most
    companies could care little if anything about my DOS expertese).

    Innonovation is not always better, and who would agree with me that the
    newer PocketPC/Palm/Windows systems are inferior in some aspects when
    compared to good old fashioned DOS?

    There are still many HPLX palmtop users still high on DOS. I borrowed a
    200LX once. Nice machines (http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/).

    Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?

    John
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing

  2. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    > Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    > you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    > ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?

    Moving away from DOS gives POS a whole new meaning when describing the
    new systems.

    Tom Lake

  3. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    "John the Baptist Jr." wrote:

    > I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my
    > tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the
    > receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using
    > DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the
    > registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or
    > Palm.
    >
    > Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS
    > based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to
    > use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS
    > based registers. Are people afraid of keyboards these days?

    You're talking about shortcomings of applications but blaming operating
    systems.

  4. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, at 12:34:24 [GMT -0800] (07:34:24 Saturday, 28 January
    2006 where I live) "John the Baptist Jr." wrote:

    > I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my
    > tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the
    > receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using
    > DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the
    > registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or
    > Palm.

    > Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS
    > based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to
    > use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS
    > based registers. Are people afraid of keyboards these days?

    I have to agree with you here - DOS is far superior for this kind of
    operation.

    The chain I worked for recently dumped a 8 year old DOS software at point of
    sale for a highly inflated purchase price Windoze piece of rubbish - much
    slower and very inefficient.

    And I am ashamed to say that I was responsible for the decision!

  5. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    You mean, besides DOS having no current development tools, no support, and
    few trained developers still around? Or that DOS only runs on x86 chips and
    that many of these applications are better implemented on lower power
    offerings such as the Intel XScale. Or that vendors want to take advantage
    of newer technologies, such as WiFi, which DOS doesn't natively support? I
    don't believe vendors of POS systems or handheld devices really have any
    economic alternative other than go with Windows, Linux, Windows CE, Palm OS,
    or some other current platform.

    Don't confuse a change in platform with poor application design. In some
    cases I think you are simply seeing a highly customized application replaced
    by one where the vendor decided to do as little custom work as possible. In
    this sense Windows has made it too easy for someone to very quickly develop
    an application at the expense of really optimizing it for its intended use.
    The same can be said for your comment about a stylus. That isn't a platform
    issue, the application (and the hardware itself) can be made to require
    little or no use of a stylus.

    --
    Hal Berenson, President
    PredictableIT, LLC

    "John the Baptist Jr." wrote in message
    >I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my
    > tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the
    > receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using
    > DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the
    > registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or
    > Palm.
    >
    > Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS
    > based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to
    > use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS
    > based registers. Are people afraid of keyboards these days?
    >
    > Walking into any large retail chain today you will see that many are
    > following this path. So sad so very sad it is.
    >
    > What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on Unix, but
    > are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad? I trained on DOS, wrote many
    > batch files, and still know it quite better than Unix (although most
    > companies could care little if anything about my DOS expertese).
    >
    > Innonovation is not always better, and who would agree with me that the
    > newer PocketPC/Palm/Windows systems are inferior in some aspects when
    > compared to good old fashioned DOS?
    >
    > There are still many HPLX palmtop users still high on DOS. I borrowed a
    > 200LX once. Nice machines (http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/).
    >
    > Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    > you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    > ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?
    >

    > John
    > --
    > Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    > sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    > asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    > is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    > CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    > http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  6. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on Unix, but
    > are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad?

    Yes. Speaking as someone who has worked professionally with computers
    since 1965, DOS was always the equivalent of two tin cans tied together
    with a piece of string.

    > Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    > you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    > ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?

    Not Windows, God knows, which is a mess in entirely different ways. (Not
    to mention that I frankly regard Microsoft as no better than organized
    crime.)

    Anyway, quite apart from everything else, DOS simply isn't usable with
    modern hardware -- USB in particular.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--

  7. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:34:24 -0800, "John the Baptist Jr."
    wrote:

    >What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on Unix, but
    >are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad? I trained on DOS, wrote many
    >batch files, and still know it quite better than Unix (although most
    >companies could care little if anything about my DOS expertese).

    It's a *real* operating system that is supported by its vendor - MSDOS
    is a toy OS that is *not* supported by its vendor.

    Batch files are to *ix shell scripts somewhat as bicycles are to SUVs,
    or minnows are to dolphins.

    --
    T.E.D. (tdavis@gearbox.maem.umr.edu)

  8. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    "Tom Lake" wrote:

    > Moving away from DOS gives POS a whole new meaning when describing the
    > new systems.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Explain
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  9. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article <1119955563$20060128075356@dontbotherspamming.com>,
    Dogfart wrote:

    > I have to agree with you here - DOS is far superior for this kind of
    > operation.

    Amen to that

    > The chain I worked for recently dumped a 8 year old DOS software at point of
    > sale for a highly inflated purchase price Windoze piece of rubbish - much
    > slower and very inefficient.
    >
    > And I am ashamed to say that I was responsible for the decision!

    You probably were threatened to be fired or something like that if you
    did not move from DOS. Windows is a candy coaded os. People these days
    want candy oses. DOS is not attractive, nor is it easy to use. But once
    you know it, it can be easier than Windows for many functions.

    John
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  10. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    "Hal Berenson" wrote:

    > You mean, besides DOS having no current development tools, no support, and
    > few trained developers still around? Or that DOS only runs on x86 chips and
    > that many of these applications are better implemented on lower power
    > offerings such as the Intel XScale.

    Yes but DOS units have their fair of advantages. One is low battery
    life, two is less equipment involved (no stylus), and 3 is ease of use.

    Or that vendors want to take advantage
    > of newer technologies, such as WiFi, which DOS doesn't natively support? I
    > don't believe vendors of POS systems or handheld devices really have any
    > economic alternative other than go with Windows, Linux, Windows CE, Palm OS,
    > or some other current platform.

    At my store we had wireless, but it just was not wifi. Wireless existed
    long before wifi. I remember Richotect, the Palm VII, among other
    technologies that are dead today.

    I used that Telezon gun long before wifi ever showed up. What wireless
    technology was it using?

    > Don't confuse a change in platform with poor application design. In some
    > cases I think you are simply seeing a highly customized application replaced
    > by one where the vendor decided to do as little custom work as possible. In
    > this sense Windows has made it too easy for someone to very quickly develop
    > an application at the expense of really optimizing it for its intended use.
    > The same can be said for your comment about a stylus. That isn't a platform
    > issue, the application (and the hardware itself) can be made to require
    > little or no use of a stylus.

    Every Walmart I have been in I have watched the workers. I have yet to
    see a single one that did not use the stylus.

    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  11. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    Ted Davis wrote in

    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:34:24 -0800, "John the Baptist Jr."
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on
    >>Unix, but are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad? I trained
    >>on DOS, wrote many batch files, and still know it quite better
    >>than Unix (although most companies could care little if anything
    >>about my DOS expertese).
    >>

    > It's a *real* operating system that is supported by its vendor -
    > MSDOS is a toy OS that is *not* supported by its vendor.
    >
    > Batch files are to *ix shell scripts somewhat as bicycles are to
    > SUVs, or minnows are to dolphins.

    MS-DOS is NOT an operating system. It is a collection of usefull
    hardware and software routines implemented partially in BIOS and
    partially in RAM. There is no inherent support for multi-tasking or
    any other advanced software operations, which requires any serious
    development operation to develop it's own in-house expertise to
    implement any such operations.

    As long as the application required no more than an interrupt-driven
    state machine with minimal hardware and little or no memory, MSDOS
    worked great. Unfortunately, today's integration needs and advanced
    hardware requirements have advanced far beyond what MSDOS can
    reasonable support.

    I have been playing with these toys since 1975 and have played with
    probably 20-some "operating systems" up to Orange Book B2 cert (If
    you don't know don't ask).

  12. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    "John W. Kennedy" wrote:

    > Yes. Speaking as someone who has worked professionally with computers
    > since 1965, DOS was always the equivalent of two tin cans tied together
    > with a piece of string.
    >
    > > Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    > > you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    > > ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?

    > Not Windows, God knows, which is a mess in entirely different ways. (Not
    > to mention that I frankly regard Microsoft as no better than organized
    > crime.)
    >
    > Anyway, quite apart from everything else, DOS simply isn't usable with
    > modern hardware -- USB in particular.

    Whats wrong with old hardware? You need work I know. But ever heard
    the saying "if its not broken, why fix it?"
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  13. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    Guy Bannis wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "John the Baptist Jr." wrote:
    >
    > > I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my
    > > tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the
    > > receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using
    > > DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the
    > > registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or
    > > Palm.
    > >
    > > Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS
    > > based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to
    > > use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS
    > > based registers. Are people afraid of keyboards these days?

    > You're talking about shortcomings of applications but blaming operating
    > systems.

    Perhaps.
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  14. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    On Fri 27 Jan 2006 05:39:37p, "John the Baptist Jr."
    , wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Tom Lake" wrote:
    >
    >> Moving away from DOS gives POS a whole new meaning when describing
    >> the new systems.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake

    > Explain

    Key on "POS" and use your imagination.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  15. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "John W. Kennedy" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. Speaking as someone who has worked professionally with computers
    >> since 1965, DOS was always the equivalent of two tin cans tied together
    >> with a piece of string.
    >>
    >>> Is anyone here involved in this trend? If so, if it were up to you (and
    >>> you could never be fired for airing your viewpoints) would you be
    >>> ditching DOS and moving all your retail POS and other systems to Windows?

    >> Not Windows, God knows, which is a mess in entirely different ways. (Not
    >> to mention that I frankly regard Microsoft as no better than organized
    >> crime.)
    >>
    >> Anyway, quite apart from everything else, DOS simply isn't usable with
    >> modern hardware -- USB in particular.

    > Whats wrong with old hardware?

    A) New supply.

    B) Old parts.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--
    that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer,
    which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake."
    -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

  16. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > You probably were threatened to be fired or something like that if you
    > did not move from DOS. Windows is a candy coaded os. People these days
    > want candy oses. DOS is not attractive, nor is it easy to use. But once
    > you know it, it can be easier than Windows for many functions.

    Dude, you should learn more about Unix. You would like it. Many DOS
    commands are basically stripped down, lightweight versions of Unix
    commands. All the power you're used to in DOS is there in Unix and
    more.

    - Logan

  17. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    In article ,
    Logan Shaw wrote:

    > Dude, you should learn more about Unix. You would like it. Many DOS
    > commands are basically stripped down, lightweight versions of Unix
    > commands. All the power you're used to in DOS is there in Unix and
    > more.

    I need to buy a book or take a class. Know since my Mac runs it, and my
    shell runs it, it makes sense to learn it! No I learn more effectively
    through books, lecture and class exercizes. I am having a hard time
    learning through a website.

    John
    --
    Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
    sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
    asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and
    is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  18. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    Ted Davis wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:34:24 -0800, "John the Baptist Jr."
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What I do not understand is why so many companies are high on Unix, but
    >> are ditching DOS. Is DOS really that bad? I trained on DOS, wrote many
    >> batch files, and still know it quite better than Unix (although most
    >> companies could care little if anything about my DOS expertese).
    >>

    > It's a *real* operating system that is supported by its vendor - MSDOS
    > is a toy OS that is *not* supported by its vendor.
    >
    > Batch files are to *ix shell scripts somewhat as bicycles are to SUVs,
    > or minnows are to dolphins.

    I believe that IBM still sells pcdos. Read that on some group. I
    actually bought pcdos once. After i bought DRdos.

    Tell me, why does microshaft have a patent on the FAT file system.
    Digital Research used the same filing system at the same time. They did
    develop FAT32, but the original? Did MS really write that file system?

  19. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    "Jd Lyall" wrote...
    >Tell me, why does microshaft have a patent on the FAT file system. Digital
    >Research used the same filing system at the same time. They did develop
    >FAT32, but the original? Did MS really write that file system?

    The patent is specific to FAT32 and long filename support. It's not a patent
    on earlier versions of FAT.

  20. Re: Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?

    On 2006-01-28, Jd Lyall wrote:

    > I believe that IBM still sells pcdos. Read that on some group. I
    > actually bought pcdos once. After i bought DRdos.

    FreeDOS is still actively developed, and a new version of OpenGEM was just
    released. FreeDOS supports hardware that MS-DOS never did, like ATAPI
    CD-ROMs.

    www.freedos.org

    > Tell me, why does microshaft have a patent on the FAT file system.
    > Digital Research used the same filing system at the same time. They did
    > develop FAT32, but the original? Did MS really write that file system?

    They don't have a current patent on FAT. They have a current patent on the
    backfitting of long filenames to FAT by storing them as directory entries.
    --
    Carl Fink carl@fink.to
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast