Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650 - Palmtop ; Hemant Shah wrote: > Is there a calendar replacement program that will allow me to silence the > ringer during event. While I am in meeting, I usually turn off the sound, but > after the meeting I forget to ...

  1. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    Hemant Shah wrote:

    > Is there a calendar replacement program that will allow me to silence the
    > ringer during event. While I am in meeting, I usually turn off the sound, but
    > after the meeting I forget to turn it back on. It would be nice to have an
    > option that you can set so that ringer will be turned off duging the even and
    > turn it on after the event is finished.

    Hmm, not that I know of. Though, I did find when I used the Treo 650
    that the switch at the top to allow silencing of ringers was very
    effective for me.

    > How do you turn off the device? According to the manual if I keep the power
    > button (red phone symbol) pressed for the few seconds, it will turn off the
    > phone side of the device. How do I turn off Palm side of the device?

    You don't. Palm OS devices are not meant to be 100% "turned off." This
    is a throwback to the days when all Palm devices had volatile memory,
    and "turning the device off" meant losing everything you've stored.

    The only way to really, truly, fully turn off a Treo 650 is to remove
    the battery. That said though, when I had a Treo 650, I never had a
    reason to want ti fully shut down.

    > In my previous phone (Sanyo RL-2500), the LED blinked whenever I had
    > a voice mail or text message, and kept on blinking until I took care of them.
    > How can I do that on TREO? I have set it up to remind me twice, but ifI get
    > a text message or voice mail during the night I do not know it in the morning
    > unless I turn on the device.

    Modifying the LED for notifications isn't a built-in feature, but can be
    done using this program:

    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-44.html?Butler

    http://www.infinitysw.com/

    > In order to add new ringtones do I need vision or can I add them through palm
    > desktop?

    Not 100% sure, but I THINK Palm Desktop will work.

    > In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    > international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait to few
    > seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then enter the
    > phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause like in other
    > dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    Don't know, sorry.

    > Where is the headphone jack, the headset jack seems to be thinner than a
    > standard headphone jack? I want to copy mp3 files to the expansion card
    > and listen to the music on TREO.

    The headphone jack is on the bottom. Yes, it's small; the jack was not
    intended for regular headphones.

    To listen to music, you'll want to get a stereo handfree headset that
    fis that plug size. One example is from Jabra:

    http://tinyurl.com/atc6b

    > Which bluetooth headset works best with Treo?

    I had no problem using the scala BT500.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

  2. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    It is alleged that Isaiah Beard claimed:

    > > In order to add new ringtones do I need vision or can I add them through palm
    > > desktop?

    > Not 100% sure, but I THINK Palm Desktop will work.

    The Palm Desktop doesn't enter it at all. See the Palm support site
    here:

    for info on adding ringtones.

    > > In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    > > international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait to few
    > > seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then enter the
    > > phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause like in other
    > > dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    > Don't know, sorry.

    Not from the main contacts list. For a single pause, you can create a
    speed pad entry and add the additional digits to the "Extra Digits"
    field, and then manually "release" them. I don't know if this supports
    pauses or not.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Well this is a surprise, I've heard a lot about you since I got here."
    "Same here. You've done a good job looking after the place, I couldn't
    have wished for better." (Capt. Sheridan and Amb. Sinclair, B5 "War
    Without End, Pt. 1")

  3. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    Isaiah Beard wrote:

    >Palm OS devices are not meant to be 100% "turned off." This
    >is a throwback to the days when all Palm devices had volatile memory,
    >and "turning the device off" meant losing everything you've stored.

    Another reason is that they need to continuously (24/7) sample the buttons or
    else they won't know when you push one to turn it back "on"...

  4. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    On Thursday 26 of January 2006 05:37 AaronJ wrote:

    > Another reason is that they need to continuously (24/7) sample the buttons
    > or else they won't know when you push one to turn it back "on"...

    Nope. It barely works that way, for technical reasons mostly that would be
    simply overkill for the device. And so is hardware that wakes the PalmOS
    when you press the button.

    --
    Life is a beach and then you dive...

    Marcin

  5. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    Borszczuk wrote:

    >On Thursday 26 of January 2006 05:37 AaronJ wrote:
    >
    >> Another reason is that they need to continuously (24/7) sample the buttons
    >> or else they won't know when you push one to turn it back "on"...

    >Nope. It barely works that way,

    "Barely" works that way?? It either does or it doesn't.

    >for technical reasons mostly that would be simply overkill for the device.
    >And so is hardware that wakes the PalmOS when you press the button.

    And of course the hardware has to be powered *on* 24/7 (even when the user has
    it turned off) to sense for the button push. It's not a hard concept. Virtually
    all modern electronic equipment works that way these days. TVs, iPods, TV
    remotes, arc welders...

    If you really doubt this, stick a portable AM radio right next to your Palm. You
    can then hear it merrily buzzing away like a bee hive checking it's buttons (and
    doing other functions like alarms) while it's "turned off"...

  6. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Isaiah Beard claimed:
    >
    >>> In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    >>> international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait
    >>> to few
    >>> seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then
    >>> enter the
    >>> phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause
    >>> like in other
    >>> dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    >> Don't know, sorry.

    > Not from the main contacts list. For a single pause, you can create a
    > speed pad entry and add the additional digits to the "Extra Digits"
    > field, and then manually "release" them. I don't know if this
    > supports
    > pauses or not.

    It does support pauses (via commas), but not hard-stops (which would
    require an additional button press to release).

    You can also have the phone "automatically" enter the digits when the
    call is connected. Unfortunately this feature is hard-coded to wait just
    two seconds. In my experience that is not even enough time for the line
    to be picked up, let alone be ready for touch-tones. Ergo, this feature
    for me--as is--is useless. Had they made the "waiting period" adjustable
    it would be nice (wouldn't have to manually release the extra digits).

    But I still use it, for example, with my bank's automated system. It
    works "OK," but is not ideal (i.e., my last regular cellphone was more
    reliable at it). And since it doesn't allow "stops" I had to go through
    trial-and-error in order to find the best number of pauses needed
    (between entering ID number and entering password). A hard stop would
    allow me to release the first set of numbers, then release the second
    set when ready. This would be easier--again using my bank as an
    example--as they often add "info-nouncements" into the equation which
    throws off my pauses.

    BTW: The real irony is that my bank, BOA, works with Blazer. But by the
    time the first page loads, I enter my ID, get taken to that lovely %$#@&
    SiteKey page, and finally get a summary of accounts it takes around 3-4
    minutes (if all goes well). The phone call is accomplished in about a
    minute.

    YMMV.

    --
    Mike

  7. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    It is alleged that Tinman claimed:

    > You can also have the phone "automatically" enter the digits when the
    > call is connected. Unfortunately this feature is hard-coded to wait just

    Unfortunately, the last time I used this feature, it caused crashes. I
    think it was only in relation to having the BT radio on. I have not
    tried it since the last firmware update, though.

    > two seconds. In my experience that is not even enough time for the line
    > to be picked up, let alone be ready for touch-tones. Ergo, this feature

    Depends on the system. Most automated systems pick up on the first
    ring.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The One leads us. The One tells us to go, we go. We live for the
    One. We would die for the One. We pulled this place through time to
    save us all." (Zathras, B5 "Babylon Squared")

  8. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:23:55 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:

    > It is alleged that Tinman claimed:
    >
    > > You can also have the phone "automatically" enter the digits when the
    > > call is connected. Unfortunately this feature is hard-coded to wait just

    > Unfortunately, the last time I used this feature, it caused crashes. I
    > think it was only in relation to having the BT radio on. I have not
    > tried it since the last firmware update, though.

    This has never caused a crash on my Treo. It just didn't work
    effectively enough to be useful for me...

    > > two seconds. In my experience that is not even enough time for the line
    > > to be picked up, let alone be ready for touch-tones. Ergo, this feature

    > Depends on the system. Most automated systems pick up on the first
    > ring.

    I'm not aware of any system that is ready for touch-tones before the
    system even picks up. On my Treo the 2-second timer is often complete
    before the called number even rings---or it picks up in the middle of
    the extra digits.

    Regardless, due to this thread--and a little experimenting--I found a
    simple work-around: I merely turned on the auto extra digits and added
    the necessary pauses (commas) *before* the extra digits. By doing that I
    was able to leave "extra digits" on auto--and it actually works. In my
    case it took about 5 or 6 commas to leave enough time for the call to be
    answered and the system ready for touch-tones.

    YMMV.

    --
    Mike

  9. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    In comp.sys.palmtops Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Isaiah Beard claimed:
    >
    >> > In order to add new ringtones do I need vision or can I add them through palm
    >> > desktop?

    >> Not 100% sure, but I THINK Palm Desktop will work.

    > The Palm Desktop doesn't enter it at all. See the Palm support site
    > here:
    >
    > for info on adding ringtones.
    >
    >> > In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    >> > international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait to few
    >> > seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then enter the
    >> > phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause like in other
    >> > dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    >> Don't know, sorry.

    > Not from the main contacts list. For a single pause, you can create a
    > speed pad entry and add the additional digits to the "Extra Digits"
    > field, and then manually "release" them. I don't know if this supports
    > pauses or not.

    That is a real feature kill. Is there a replacement program that will allow
    you to add pauses in the contact list?

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign