Palm Zire 21 loses memory - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Zire 21 loses memory - Palmtop ; I have a Palm Zire 21 that I got off of ebay, and it frequently loses its memory and I have to restore it from a backup. I have read [1] that this comes as a result of putting your ...

  1. Palm Zire 21 loses memory

    I have a Palm Zire 21 that I got off of ebay, and it frequently loses
    its memory and I have to restore it from a backup. I have read [1]
    that this comes as a result of putting your cell phone too cole to
    your Zire 21.

    Is this so? If so, can I prevent this from happening by putting the
    Zire 21 in a metal case designed for a Zire 72? (They look like they
    have the same form factor) Will that prevent the memory erasure?

    TIA
    --Ken Bloom

    [1]http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jun/bpd20040702025833.htm

  2. Re: Palm Zire 21 loses memory

    In article <1138211107.997130@localhost>,
    Ken Bloom wrote:

    > I have a Palm Zire 21 that I got off of ebay, and it frequently loses
    > its memory and I have to restore it from a backup. I have read [1]
    > that this comes as a result of putting your cell phone too cole to
    > your Zire 21.
    >
    > Is this so? If so, can I prevent this from happening by putting the
    > Zire 21 in a metal case designed for a Zire 72?

    Sounds more like you got a defective Zire 21. That's why I won't buy
    electronic goods from eBay without a warranty.

    YOu can certainly test your theory by keeping the Zire and your phone
    apart. Don't need a case to do that ... just separate pockets.

  3. Re: Palm Zire 21 loses memory

    Ken Bloom wrote:
    > I have a Palm Zire 21 that I got off of ebay, and it frequently loses
    > its memory and I have to restore it from a backup. I have read [1]
    > that this comes as a result of putting your cell phone too cole to
    > your Zire 21.
    >
    > Is this so? If so, can I prevent this from happening by putting the
    > Zire 21 in a metal case designed for a Zire 72? (They look like they
    > have the same form factor) Will that prevent the memory erasure?
    >
    > TIA
    > --Ken Bloom
    >
    > [1]http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jun/bpd20040702025833.htm

    To answer my own question, I've had my Zire 21 wrapped in aluminum foil
    for the last week (a case using the duct tape and tinfoil school of
    construction), with much success -- my Zire hasn't lost its memory
    during that time.

    --Ken Bloom