Lifedrive....???? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Lifedrive....???? - Palmtop ; Just bought a "Lifedrive", as an update from my Tungsten T. What a let down!! Wonder if there is anyone here that is able to give a "qualified" answer (Do Palm actually read these groups?) Does anyone else find (if ...

  1. Lifedrive....????

    Just bought a "Lifedrive", as an update from my Tungsten T.

    What a let down!!

    Wonder if there is anyone here that is able to give a "qualified" answer (Do
    Palm actually read these groups?)

    Does anyone else find (if they were previously used to a Tungsten T), that
    when using the LD:-

    Accessing applications is slower than that of the TT.

    Whilst writing (in datebook, Notes, or whatever), there is an apparent "lag"
    between the time of inputting data, to it actually appearing on screen?

    When switching on, the time from the Splash screen start to actually seeing
    the main screen, can be anything up to a couple of minutes.

    NOT impressed at all :-(

    What the heck have Palm done??

  2. Re: Lifedrive....????

    On 2006-01-24, KevinX wrote:

    > Accessing applications is slower than that of the TT.

    Does it have an option of storing apps on the hard drive or internal
    memory? I've heard that similar to other hard-disc portables, it
    spins the hard disc down ASAP so if your apps are on the hard disc it
    will take time to spin up. Then again it's entirely possible that the
    "hard disc" is in fact flash RAM which I would have thought would make
    more sense, if suitable stuff was available at the time the device was
    designed.

    physical hard disc though. If that's the case I'd use flash RAM to
    store almost all apps and the hard disc to store bulk data like movies
    etc.

    > What the heck have Palm done??

    They stopped making the T3 and replaced it with larger, fatter, less
    fully-featured hardware. I use voicenotes extensively for example,
    but the only model in the current range that does voicenotes is the
    fat, heavy lifedrive, all the other devices bar the Z22 are larger
    than the T3 but lack some essential features.

    Dump the lifedrive and get a T3 from ebay.... As a PDA it's
    excellent, as a tech toy that'll gather dust after 6 months it's not
    so good.

  3. Re: Lifedrive....????

    "KevinX" wrote in message
    > Just bought a "Lifedrive", as an update from my Tungsten T.
    >
    > What a let down!!
    >
    > Wonder if there is anyone here that is able to give a "qualified" answer
    > (Do
    > Palm actually read these groups?)

    Oh yes.

    > Does anyone else find (if they were previously used to a Tungsten T), that
    > when using the LD:-
    >
    > Accessing applications is slower than that of the TT.

    Some will be slower because of the nature of the way the LifeDrive stores
    data. It has a hard drive.

    > Whilst writing (in datebook, Notes, or whatever), there is an apparent
    > "lag"
    > between the time of inputting data, to it actually appearing on screen?

    This is a Graffiti 2 "feature." My Tungsten T2 does it when using Graffiti
    2.

    > When switching on, the time from the Splash screen start to actually
    > seeing
    > the main screen, can be anything up to a couple of minutes.

    This is because of how the LifeDrive stores data.

    > NOT impressed at all :-(
    >
    > What the heck have Palm done??

    Rather than go on at length, zip across to www.brighthand.com and have a
    read of the review of the LifeDrive.

    I like my PalmOS device to be compact, responsive and have a great battery
    life. I don't have a LifeDrive. I'd love one but would find it slightly
    too annoying. The Tungsten X, well that's another matter.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  4. Re: Lifedrive....????

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrndtei42.79b.news05@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2006-01-24, KevinX wrote:
    >
    >> Accessing applications is slower than that of the TT.

    > Does it have an option of storing apps on the hard drive or internal
    > memory? I've heard that similar to other hard-disc portables, it
    > spins the hard disc down ASAP so if your apps are on the hard disc it
    > will take time to spin up. Then again it's entirely possible that the
    > "hard disc" is in fact flash RAM which I would have thought would make
    > more sense, if suitable stuff was available at the time the device was
    > designed.

    Both, but it's automatic, basically.

    > physical hard disc though. If that's the case I'd use flash RAM to
    > store almost all apps and the hard disc to store bulk data like movies
    > etc.
    >
    >> What the heck have Palm done??

    > They stopped making the T3 and replaced it with larger, fatter, less
    > fully-featured hardware. I use voicenotes extensively for example,
    > but the only model in the current range that does voicenotes is the
    > fat, heavy lifedrive, all the other devices bar the Z22 are larger
    > than the T3 but lack some essential features.

    Hmm. Well the LifeDrive is a slightly different kettle of fish. I agree
    that the Tungsten T3 is a great piece of kit, but depending on what the user
    needs, may well be overkill.

    Sure, I'd love a Tungsten T3 but I make do with a Tungsten T2 because it
    does all that I need, was half the eBay price and gets better batter
    life.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: Lifedrive....????

    Thanks for your "Words of Wisdom", DM. Much appreciated.

    More like a bleedin' soft-drive than a hard-drive!!

    Maybe I should have gone for the T3, or stuck with the TT.
    I actually thought the LifeDrive was an upgrade to previous (TT, T3, T5)
    units, but it seems I was sadly mistaken.

    I can se myself getting more and more frustrated. When I "press a button", I
    expect things to happen NOW. That WAS so, with the TT, but the LD seems a
    little reluctant to get started!!

    Thanks Again, and I'd appreciate anyone elses feedback.

    "DervMan" wrote in message
    > "KevinX" wrote in message
    > > Just bought a "Lifedrive", as an update from my Tungsten T.
    > >
    > > What a let down!!
    > >
    > > Wonder if there is anyone here that is able to give a "qualified" answer
    > > (Do
    > > Palm actually read these groups?)

    > Oh yes.
    >
    > > Does anyone else find (if they were previously used to a Tungsten T),

    that
    > > when using the LD:-
    > >
    > > Accessing applications is slower than that of the TT.

    > Some will be slower because of the nature of the way the LifeDrive stores
    > data. It has a hard drive.
    >
    > > Whilst writing (in datebook, Notes, or whatever), there is an apparent
    > > "lag"
    > > between the time of inputting data, to it actually appearing on screen?

    > This is a Graffiti 2 "feature." My Tungsten T2 does it when using

    Graffiti
    > 2.
    >
    > > When switching on, the time from the Splash screen start to actually
    > > seeing
    > > the main screen, can be anything up to a couple of minutes.

    > This is because of how the LifeDrive stores data.
    >
    > > NOT impressed at all :-(
    > >
    > > What the heck have Palm done??

    > Rather than go on at length, zip across to www.brighthand.com and have a
    > read of the review of the LifeDrive.
    >
    > I like my PalmOS device to be compact, responsive and have a great battery
    > life. I don't have a LifeDrive. I'd love one but would find it slightly
    > too annoying. The Tungsten X, well that's another matter.
    >
    > --
    > The DervMan
    > www.dervman.com

  6. Re: Lifedrive....????

    "KevinX" wrote in message
    > Thanks for your "Words of Wisdom", DM. Much appreciated.
    >
    > More like a bleedin' soft-drive than a hard-drive!!

    Heh - there is some good news. If you have filled it with data it won't be
    any slower.

    > Maybe I should have gone for the T3, or stuck with the TT.

    I was thinking more along the lines of the Tungsten X...

    > I actually thought the LifeDrive was an upgrade to previous (TT, T3, T5)
    > units, but it seems I was sadly mistaken.

    Kinda. The LifeDrive is a different kind of device.

    > I can se myself getting more and more frustrated. When I "press a button",
    > expect things to happen NOW. That WAS so, with the TT, but the LD seems a
    > little reluctant to get started!!

    Yup; it's a PalmOS strength, all of my half dozen or so devices from the
    humble Palm III upwards have had this immediacy of response. That's why I
    like them. So technically impressive in some respects the LiveDrive be,
    frustrating also...

    > Thanks Again, and I'd appreciate anyone elses feedback.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  7. Re: Lifedrive....????

  8. Re: Lifedrive....????

    Thanks for that Heather.

    Yes, I actually downloaded the update (2) last evening, and it didn't seem
    to make a "great" deal of difference :-( (with the exception of having the
    need to effect about 4 soft resets today, as the unit just didn't want to
    "fire up" :-(

    Only had it a week, and wishing I still had my TT

    news:1138232289.609691.114900@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

    > and
    >
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...ve_update.html
    >
    > Heather
    > Heather.cullen@palm.com

  9. Re: Lifedrive....????

    KevinX wrote:
    > What a let down!!

    Totally agree with you! Luckily for me, my mate has bought my LD and I
    am no longer having to use it!
    Terrible piece of hardware.
    I also waited *ages* for the LD to restart from a reset - my PC starts
    quicker than the LD!!!
    There *is* the lag timeand I tried SharkCache but the LD would freeze
    and have problems so it would reset - often in loops. Needed to
    warm-reset!

    Stick with the Tungsten or get a T3 on EBay (my wife has T3 -
    brilliant!) and try and sell off the LD.
    You will not regret getting rid of it!
    HTH

  10. Re: Lifedrive....????

    Heather Cullen wrote:
    > KevinX, Have you downloaded the update for the LifeDrive Update 2.0:

    Er...aren't updates supposed to *help* with the product? I also had
    resets.
    LifeDrive...what a joke, from my experience! More like a DeathDrive :-(
    Sorry Palm - but you *can* do so much better. I don't want to go to
    Windows mobile platform, but some serious changes are needed with Palm
    units.
    Definitely a better HotSync that doesn't freeze on Calendar/Contacts
    syncing.
    What about the new Palm OS that was supposed to come out?
    Come on Palm...don't give up!

  11. Re: Lifedrive....????

    On 2006-01-28, wrote:

    > Stick with the Tungsten or get a T3 on EBay (my wife has T3 -
    > brilliant!) and try and sell off the LD.

    T3's are going on ebay.co.uk for between 80-110 depending on what's
    with it, I'm bidding on some of them as I want a spare. I don't know
    what other machines go for, but T3s are real PDAs and not toys like
    the Lifedrive.

  12. Re: Lifedrive....????

    The update killed my LifeDrive, sent in for warranty service and they
    took far too long (month and a half), and now I'm having problems with
    WiFi... Might be time to look at a Tungsten...

  13. Re: Lifedrive....????

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrndtns96.79b.news05@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2006-01-28, wrote:
    >
    >> Stick with the Tungsten or get a T3 on EBay (my wife has T3 -
    >> brilliant!) and try and sell off the LD.

    > T3's are going on ebay.co.uk for between 80-110 depending on what's
    > with it, I'm bidding on some of them as I want a spare. I don't know
    > what other machines go for, but T3s are real PDAs and not toys like
    > the Lifedrive.

    Toy? From a certain perspective, the Tungsten T3, with it's
    trickery-big-screen and silly fast processor, is built for gaming rather
    than information management. To many people, multimedia on a tiny screen
    (under 28" basically) is "cute but irrelevant," as one of my colleagues put
    it.

    I understand where you're coming from, but other than onboard Bluetooth
    radio, by T|T2 isn't *that* much of a step up from my m515, which isn't
    *that* much of a step up from say my IIixe.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  14. Re: Lifedrive....????

    On 2006-01-29, DervMan wrote:

    > Toy? From a certain perspective, the Tungsten T3, with it's
    > trickery-big-screen and silly fast processor, is built for gaming rather
    > than information management. To many people, multimedia on a tiny screen
    > (under 28" basically) is "cute but irrelevant," as one of my colleagues put
    > it.

    I've never used multimedia or games on my T3, but the large screen is
    a major boon over the other machines. Features that I *need* are;

    * quick response
    * large screen
    * voice notes
    * standard palm PIM apps
    * small size

    Those five are the key requirements for me, the smaller Tungstens that
    preceeded the T3 have them all apart from the large screen, which is
    why the T3 wins it for me.

    The later T machines lose the voice notes IIRC so they're out. I make
    between 1-5 voice notes per day, I have the memory of a goldfish so by
    the time I've logged into it and got the relevant app up I've
    forgotten what it is I was trying to remember ;-) With voice notes and
    TealLock I can set the voice note app to run even when the machine is
    locked, then I just review the notes usually once per day.

    The sliding screen on the T3 is great, it's a small machine with a big
    screen, and the only one to do it as well. I think it's a shame that
    they've dropped that feature, and also that they only put voice notes
    on massive whales of machines these days.

    > I understand where you're coming from, but other than onboard Bluetooth
    > radio, by T|T2 isn't *that* much of a step up from my m515, which isn't
    > *that* much of a step up from say my IIixe.

    I'm no upgrade-for-the-sake-of-it nutter, I've been using Palms since
    the Vx which was the ideal size, but the T3 has the large screen,
    small-ish size, voice notes and quick response that are spot on for
    me. I think the T3 is a little larger than I'd like and is probably
    as large as I could put up with. I have had thoughts about moving to
    a Pocket PC running Linux but I don't know if there are any that have
    the same size/screen size combo that the T3 has.

  15. Re: Lifedrive....????

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrndtp5af.79b.news05@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2006-01-29, DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> Toy? From a certain perspective, the Tungsten T3, with it's
    >> trickery-big-screen and silly fast processor, is built for gaming rather
    >> than information management. To many people, multimedia on a tiny screen
    >> (under 28" basically) is "cute but irrelevant," as one of my colleagues
    >> put
    >> it.

    > I've never used multimedia or games on my T3, but the large screen is
    > a major boon over the other machines. Features that I *need* are;
    >
    > * quick response
    > * large screen
    > * voice notes
    > * standard palm PIM apps
    > * small size
    >
    > Those five are the key requirements for me, the smaller Tungstens that
    > preceeded the T3 have them all apart from the large screen, which is
    > why the T3 wins it for me.

    Yup, I agree - with a caveat that all PalmOS devices I've used (with one
    critical exception that's the topic of discussion here, heh) have a lovely
    response time. Sure, my III wasn't lightning quick whereas my wife's
    Tungsten T3 just about is but it was consistent. It didn't matter if I
    was switching from the Datebook to the Todo or to the Memo, it always took
    the same amount of time. All of my PocketPC devices varied in their
    response time. After a reboot, the response wasn't bad but after a week or
    two (if I made it that far without a reset) they were taking a few seconds
    from time to time.

    Admittedly, I'm a medium / heavyweight user of the PIM facilities because
    I'm an information junkie. Several thousand appointments, usually up to a
    thousand tasks, over two thousand appointments - and this does slow the
    PalmOS PIM applications a little. But only a little. My iPAQ and the Acer
    n30, heh they struggled.

    > The later T machines lose the voice notes IIRC so they're out. I make
    > between 1-5 voice notes per day, I have the memory of a goldfish so by
    > the time I've logged into it and got the relevant app up I've
    > forgotten what it is I was trying to remember ;-) With voice notes and
    > TealLock I can set the voice note app to run even when the machine is
    > locked, then I just review the notes usually once per day.

    Superb. I don't use the voice memo facility because I hate the sound of my
    own voice but Charlie uses it a little bit.

    > The sliding screen on the T3 is great, it's a small machine with a big
    > screen, and the only one to do it as well. I think it's a shame that
    > they've dropped that feature, and also that they only put voice notes
    > on massive whales of machines these days.

    I agree with the concept of the sliding mechanism and both Charlie's T3 and
    my T2 remain robust after many hundreds if not thousands of cycles. It's a
    great way to combine a relatively large screen with a compact device and it
    works, and works well.

    >> I understand where you're coming from, but other than onboard Bluetooth
    >> radio, by T|T2 isn't *that* much of a step up from my m515, which isn't
    >> *that* much of a step up from say my IIixe.

    > I'm no upgrade-for-the-sake-of-it nutter,

    I'd like to be, but I can't justify the expense.

    > I've been using Palms since
    > the Vx which was the ideal size, but the T3 has the large screen,
    > small-ish size, voice notes and quick response that are spot on for
    > me. I think the T3 is a little larger than I'd like and is probably
    > as large as I could put up with.

    I'm with you on this. The T2 is marginally smaller than the T3, but the
    difference is only relevant if you have a case for one - most won't fit the
    other type.

    To be fair, the length or width isn't an issue, but the thickness is. It's
    not anywhere near as shirt pocket portable as the Vx or m515.

    When I exercise my Vx, people are still amazed at the size of it.

    > I have had thoughts about moving to
    > a Pocket PC running Linux but I don't know if there are any that have
    > the same size/screen size combo that the T3 has.

    Our Acer n30 came close, at least, it is as thick as the m515 and slightly
    smaller than the T2. But it doesn't collapse...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  16. Re: Lifedrive....????

    On 2006-01-30, DervMan wrote:

    > Yup, I agree - with a caveat that all PalmOS devices I've used (with one
    > critical exception that's the topic of discussion here, heh) have a lovely
    > response time.

    Yes I know, I didn't mean that the T3 is the only one with each of
    those attributes, I meant it's the only one with *all* of those
    attributes. Mind you my old Vx does seem very tardy these days..

    > Superb. I don't use the voice memo facility because I hate the sound of my
    > own voice but Charlie uses it a little bit.

    I love the sound of my own voice reminding me of something I'd
    otherwise have forgotten, voicenotes are ace! The only problem now is
    that I used to use them a lot while driving, but these days the Palm's
    often doing the navigating so that makes it a little harder. I'm
    bidding on some T3s on ebay though to give me a spare, rather than
    leave the spare in a box waiting for its day I think I might keep it
    in the car for navigational duties so that would solve it.

    > I agree with the concept of the sliding mechanism and both Charlie's T3 and
    > my T2 remain robust after many hundreds if not thousands of cycles. It's a
    > great way to combine a relatively large screen with a compact device and it
    > works, and works well.

    I pulled my T3 apart recently to replace the battery, the mechanism's
    quite neatly done inside and there doesn't seem to be much that could
    go wrong other than a cable fault or dirty contacts on the open/closed
    sensor. I don't know why they dropped it, although I expect people
    were moaning about being confused as I've heard them do in the past,
    perhaps they should stick to paper.

    > I'd like to be, but I can't justify the expense.

    I used to buy a new PDA every year as the new models came out but got
    stuck on the T3, can't see a need for anything else, it's a winning
    combination for me.

    > I'm with you on this. The T2 is marginally smaller than the T3, but the
    > difference is only relevant if you have a case for one - most won't fit the
    > other type.

    The Vx in a hard case used to fit in my back pocket and I could
    comfortably sit down without having to worry about it, unfortunately
    that was the last Palm I could do that with as the others are thicker
    in their cases. I may experiment with running the T3 without a case
    once I get a spare.

    > To be fair, the length or width isn't an issue, but the thickness is. It's
    > not anywhere near as shirt pocket portable as the Vx or m515.

    Yep, the thickness is the main problem. Also every pair of trousers
    I've bought recently seem to be missing a second rear pocket for some
    reason, must pay more attention when shopping!

    > Our Acer n30 came close, at least, it is as thick as the m515 and slightly
    > smaller than the T2. But it doesn't collapse...

    That's the problem, nothing bar the T3 seems to offer the screen size
    combined with the small size. I'll have to move to another platform
    one day when all the T3s are gone I suppose but I'll put it off for as
    long as possible.