Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650 - Palmtop ; Hemant Shah wrote: > I finally bought Treo 650 over the weekend, I did not have much time to play > around with it but I like it very much. I did not care about internet > connectivity so I ...

  1. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    Hemant Shah wrote:
    > I finally bought Treo 650 over the weekend, I did not have much time to play
    > around with it but I like it very much. I did not care about internet
    > connectivity so I decided not to wait for 700P.
    >

    > I wish it vibrated little bit harder, I cannot feel it while it is in my shirt
    > pocket.
    >
    > Is there a calendar replacement program that will allow me to silence the
    > ringer during event. While I am in meeting, I usually turn off the sound, but
    > after the meeting I forget to turn it back on. It would be nice to have an
    > option that you can set so that ringer will be turned off duging the even and
    > turn it on after the event is finished.

    If you don't want an event to generate an alarm, just turn off the alarm
    for that event: Tap on the little alarm clock icon to the right of the
    event, and then uncheck the "Alarm" checkbox.

    > How do you turn off the device? According to the manual if I keep the power
    > button (red phone symbol) pressed for the few seconds, it will turn off the
    > phone side of the device. How do I turn off Palm side of the device?

    So far as I know, you don't. The power drain is extremely low when the
    phone is off.

    > In my previous phone (Sanyo RL-2500), the LED blinked whenever I had
    > a voice mail or text message, and kept on blinking until I took care of them.
    > How can I do that on TREO? I have set it up to remind me twice, but ifI get
    > a text message or voice mail during the night I do not know it in the morning
    > unless I turn on the device.
    >
    > Where can I find a good calculator for treo?

    Huh? The calculator that comes with it has so many options that unless
    you want something really esoteric, or unusually stylish, it's hard to
    imagine that it wouldn't do the trick for you. With the built-in
    calculator selected, tap the menu button and look under "Options". That
    calculator has Basic ("four-banger"), Math, Trig, Finance, Logic
    (programmer's calculator), Statistics, Weight/Temp, Length, Area, and
    Volume modes. In each mode, there are preferences for various number
    formats and sizes.

    If that doesn't do it for you, check out Handango. Or Google
    "calculator palm".

    > In order to add new ringtones do I need vision or can I add them through palm
    > desktop?
    >
    > In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    > international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait to few
    > seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then enter the
    > phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause like in other
    > dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    I think so. Try it and see!

    > Where is the headphone jack, the headset jack seems to be thinner than a
    > standard headphone jack? I want to copy mp3 files to the expansion card
    > and listen to the music on TREO.

    Correct. It's a 2.5 mm jack. On the 650, you can listen to MP3/WMA
    audio through the mono mike/headset that comes with the unit. You can
    also purchase the PalmOne stereo mike/headset for under $12 from Buy.com
    (sku 90143853). And there are plenty of other, more expensive
    solutions. Froogle for "Treo 650 hybrid headset".

    > How do I find out what version of Palm OS I am running? The software CD
    > came with Palm upgrades but I am not sure if I need an upgrade. When I am
    > looking at Palm software sometimes they only mention supported Palm OS version
    > and I am not sure if it will work with my TREO.

    Phone application, menu, Info. Shows your phone number, ESN (hex),
    Software version, handset serial number, PRL...

    > Which bluetooth headset works best with Treo?
    >

    > I will probably have more questions as I start using it more, I am replacing
    > HP IPAQ with Treo.
    >

    > Thanks

  2. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    In comp.sys.palmtops rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org wrote:
    > Hemant Shah wrote:
    >> I finally bought Treo 650 over the weekend, I did not have much time to play
    >> around with it but I like it very much. I did not care about internet
    >> connectivity so I decided not to wait for 700P.
    >>

    >> I wish it vibrated little bit harder, I cannot feel it while it is in my shirt
    >> pocket.
    >>
    >> Is there a calendar replacement program that will allow me to silence the
    >> ringer during event. While I am in meeting, I usually turn off the sound, but
    >> after the meeting I forget to turn it back on. It would be nice to have an
    >> option that you can set so that ringer will be turned off duging the even and
    >> turn it on after the event is finished.

    > If you don't want an event to generate an alarm, just turn off the alarm
    > for that event: Tap on the little alarm clock icon to the right of the
    > event, and then uncheck the "Alarm" checkbox.

    I am looking for an option that will turn off all sounds during an event.
    (e.g. the phone would not ring during the event).

    >> How do you turn off the device? According to the manual if I keep the power
    >> button (red phone symbol) pressed for the few seconds, it will turn off the
    >> phone side of the device. How do I turn off Palm side of the device?

    > So far as I know, you don't. The power drain is extremely low when the
    > phone is off.
    >
    >> In my previous phone (Sanyo RL-2500), the LED blinked whenever I had
    >> a voice mail or text message, and kept on blinking until I took care of them.
    >> How can I do that on TREO? I have set it up to remind me twice, but ifI get
    >> a text message or voice mail during the night I do not know it in the morning
    >> unless I turn on the device.
    >>
    >> Where can I find a good calculator for treo?

    > Huh? The calculator that comes with it has so many options that unless
    > you want something really esoteric, or unusually stylish, it's hard to
    > imagine that it wouldn't do the trick for you. With the built-in
    > calculator selected, tap the menu button and look under "Options". That
    > calculator has Basic ("four-banger"), Math, Trig, Finance, Logic
    > (programmer's calculator), Statistics, Weight/Temp, Length, Area, and
    > Volume modes. In each mode, there are preferences for various number
    > formats and sizes.
    >
    > If that doesn't do it for you, check out Handango. Or Google
    > "calculator palm".

    Thanks, I will take a look at it.

    >> In order to add new ringtones do I need vision or can I add them through palm
    >> desktop?
    >>
    >> In the phone number how do I add pause? I use calling card to call
    >> international numbers, so I want to dial a access number then wait to few
    >> seconds and then enter pin number, wait for few sconds and then enter the
    >> phone number. How do I do it in Treo? Does ',' (comma) add pause like in other
    >> dial-up programs on windows and Linux?

    > I think so. Try it and see!
    >
    >> Where is the headphone jack, the headset jack seems to be thinner than a
    >> standard headphone jack? I want to copy mp3 files to the expansion card
    >> and listen to the music on TREO.

    > Correct. It's a 2.5 mm jack. On the 650, you can listen to MP3/WMA
    > audio through the mono mike/headset that comes with the unit. You can
    > also purchase the PalmOne stereo mike/headset for under $12 from Buy.com
    > (sku 90143853). And there are plenty of other, more expensive
    > solutions. Froogle for "Treo 650 hybrid headset".
    >
    >> How do I find out what version of Palm OS I am running? The software CD
    >> came with Palm upgrades but I am not sure if I need an upgrade. When I am
    >> looking at Palm software sometimes they only mention supported Palm OS version
    >> and I am not sure if it will work with my TREO.

    > Phone application, menu, Info. Shows your phone number, ESN (hex),
    > Software version, handset serial number, PRL...

    That does not give me version of Palm OS.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

  3. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    It is alleged that Hemant Shah claimed:

    > > If you don't want an event to generate an alarm, just turn off the alarm
    > > for that event: Tap on the little alarm clock icon to the right of the
    > > event, and then uncheck the "Alarm" checkbox.

    > I am looking for an option that will turn off all sounds during an event.
    > (e.g. the phone would not ring during the event).

    Slide the hardware switch at the top of the Treo to silence all sounds.
    This switch is explained in the owner's manual.

    > > Phone application, menu, Info. Shows your phone number, ESN (hex),
    > > Software version, handset serial number, PRL...

    > That does not give me version of Palm OS.

    It gives you the firmware revision, which in a lot of cases is more
    important. Mine is "treo650-1.17-CNG".

    When looking at the Palm launcher: Menu \ Info and tap the "Version"
    button. PalmOS version will be at the top, and the scrolling list will
    tell you the version numbers of the installed applications.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Well, we don't know what other long range weapons might be down there
    so until we know more, I definitely consider it a threat to station
    security." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "A Voice In The Wilderness I")

  4. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    In comp.sys.palmtops Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Hemant Shah claimed:
    >
    >> > If you don't want an event to generate an alarm, just turn off the alarm
    >> > for that event: Tap on the little alarm clock icon to the right of the
    >> > event, and then uncheck the "Alarm" checkbox.

    >> I am looking for an option that will turn off all sounds during an event.
    >> (e.g. the phone would not ring during the event).

    > Slide the hardware switch at the top of the Treo to silence all sounds.
    > This switch is explained in the owner's manual.

    That is what I do right now. The problem is that many times I forget
    to turn it on again. I am looking for add-on software that will turn it off
    during the event and turn it on afterwards.

    >> > Phone application, menu, Info. Shows your phone number, ESN (hex),
    >> > Software version, handset serial number, PRL...

    >> That does not give me version of Palm OS.

    > It gives you the firmware revision, which in a lot of cases is more
    > important. Mine is "treo650-1.17-CNG".
    >
    > When looking at the Palm launcher: Menu \ Info and tap the "Version"
    > button. PalmOS version will be at the top, and the scrolling list will
    > tell you the version numbers of the installed applications.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "Well, we don't know what other long range weapons might be down there
    > so until we know more, I definitely consider it a threat to station
    > security." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "A Voice In The Wilderness I")

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

  5. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    It is alleged that Hemant Shah claimed:

    > > Slide the hardware switch at the top of the Treo to silence all sounds.
    > > This switch is explained in the owner's manual.

    > That is what I do right now. The problem is that many times I forget
    > to turn it on again. I am looking for add-on software that will turn it off
    > during the event and turn it on afterwards.

    ProfileCare and/or VolumeCare can control various aspects of the Treo
    based on calendar entries. For more one-off type controls, VolumeDA
    can be manually set to kill all sounds for a user-specified amount of
    time. VolumeDA is a "Desk Accessory" and as such requires a DA
    launcher to use. HiLauncher, McPhling, and others, can do this.

    I guess I'm just used to manually silencing a cellphone and restoring
    the sound that it's just second nature to me to check the speaker
    switch as I leave whatever it is that I turned it off for.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "So your ruling out a bombing?" "Are you kidding after what we've been
    through lately, not a chance." (Capt. Sheridan and Mr. Garibaldi, B5
    "Convictions")

  6. Re: Few questions/observations about TREO 650

    In comp.sys.palmtops Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Hemant Shah claimed:
    >
    >> > Slide the hardware switch at the top of the Treo to silence all sounds.
    >> > This switch is explained in the owner's manual.

    >> That is what I do right now. The problem is that many times I forget
    >> to turn it on again. I am looking for add-on software that will turn it off
    >> during the event and turn it on afterwards.

    > ProfileCare and/or VolumeCare can control various aspects of the Treo
    > based on calendar entries. For more one-off type controls, VolumeDA
    > can be manually set to kill all sounds for a user-specified amount of
    > time. VolumeDA is a "Desk Accessory" and as such requires a DA
    > launcher to use. HiLauncher, McPhling, and others, can do this.

    Thanks, I looked at ProfileCare and that is exactly what I was looking for.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

+ Reply to Thread