the TX cradle - a design defect - Palmtop

This is a discussion on the TX cradle - a design defect - Palmtop ; Well, the TX travel charger/cradle combo has a design defect. The end of the charging cable has a fat thingie on it which prevents the plug to be plugged into the cradle properly so that the cradle would sit on ...

  1. the TX cradle - a design defect

    Well, the TX travel charger/cradle combo has a design defect. The end of the
    charging cable has a fat thingie on it which prevents the plug to be plugged
    into the cradle properly so that the cradle would sit on flat surfaces
    properly. That fat thingie lifts up the cradle so that it is not stable.

    Has anyone else been bothered by this?

    What is that thingie anyway? Some kind of an electric interference preventer?
    Many other cables have such a thing too.

    /PaulN

  2. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > Well, the TX travel charger/cradle combo has a design defect. The end of the
    > charging cable has a fat thingie on it which prevents the plug to be plugged
    > into the cradle properly so that the cradle would sit on flat surfaces
    > properly. That fat thingie lifts up the cradle so that it is not stable.

    Mine is sitting on a flat surface with USB and charger cables inserted,
    it is perfectly stable.

    > Has anyone else been bothered by this?
    >
    > What is that thingie anyway? Some kind of an electric interference preventer?
    > Many other cables have such a thing too.

    It's a ferrite ring designed to prevent high frequency signals radiating
    from the cables. Without it the device would not be FCC or ETSI
    compliant as regards EMC testing.

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

  3. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    bdm@fenrir.org.uk aszonygya:
    :
    :Mine is sitting on a flat surface with USB and charger cables inserted,
    :it is perfectly stable.

    Where did you place the ferrite ring? Under or above that steel wire which
    forms the back of the cradle? Mine doesn't fit under since the ring is
    exactly where the wire is. Thanks, PaulN

  4. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    Paul Nevai wrote:

    > :Mine is sitting on a flat surface with USB and charger cables inserted,
    > :it is perfectly stable.
    >
    > Where did you place the ferrite ring? Under or above that steel wire which
    > forms the back of the cradle? Mine doesn't fit under since the ring is
    > exactly where the wire is. Thanks, PaulN

    Under, there is a gap of approximately 20mm between the wire and the
    position of the ferrite rings. It seems your cables are rather different
    from mine, in which case I can see your annoyance.

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

  5. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    bdm@fenrir.org.uk aszonygya:
    :Paul Nevai wrote:
    :
    :> :Mine is sitting on a flat surface with USB and charger cables inserted,
    :> :it is perfectly stable.
    :>
    :> Where did you place the ferrite ring? Under or above that steel wire which
    :> forms the back of the cradle? Mine doesn't fit under since the ring is
    :> exactly where the wire is. Thanks, PaulN
    :
    :Under, there is a gap of approximately 20mm between the wire and the
    osition of the ferrite rings. It seems your cables are rather different
    :from mine, in which case I can see your annoyance.

    Thanks for the info. Yes, indeed, mine has the ring in the wrong position [or
    the curve formed by the wire is not sufficiently high]. /PaulN

  6. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > bdm@fenrir.org.uk aszonygya:
    > :Paul Nevai wrote:
    > :
    > :> :Mine is sitting on a flat surface with USB and charger cables inserted,
    > :> :it is perfectly stable.
    > :>
    > :> Where did you place the ferrite ring? Under or above that steel wire which
    > :> forms the back of the cradle? Mine doesn't fit under since the ring is
    > :> exactly where the wire is. Thanks, PaulN
    > :
    > :Under, there is a gap of approximately 20mm between the wire and the
    > osition of the ferrite rings. It seems your cables are rather different
    > :from mine, in which case I can see your annoyance.
    >
    > Thanks for the info. Yes, indeed, mine has the ring in the wrong position [or
    > the curve formed by the wire is not sufficiently high]. /PaulN

    OK, I've just realised that I have both the USB lead and the charger
    plugged in, so the power lead plugs into the USB lead and the two
    ferrites are side by side. I assume you don't have the USB lead plugged
    in then?

    --

    Brian Morrison

    please observe reply-to address

  7. Re: the TX cradle - a design defect

    bdm@fenrir.org.uk aszonygya:
    :OK, I've just realised that I have both the USB lead and the charger
    lugged in, so the power lead plugs into the USB lead and the two
    :ferrites are side by side. I assume you don't have the USB lead plugged
    :in then?

    I have a 100% different design. The USB and the power cables are 2 entirely
    different cables, the power cable doesn't plug into the USB but directly into
    the cradle or the TX.

    I know what you are talking about, I have cables like that too.

    My USB cable doesn't even have the ferrite ring. Only the power cable.

    BTW, the cradle itself is a flimsy thing compared to the good old solid Palm
    cradles.

    Best regards, PaulN

+ Reply to Thread