Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card - Palmtop ; Hi everyone, Has anyone got any experience hotsyncing over wi-fi with the palmOne wi-fi card? I'm able to access the internet and download e-mails by linking to my router, but I can't get it to recognise my laptop to sync ...

  1. Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Hi everyone,

    Has anyone got any experience hotsyncing over wi-fi with the palmOne wi-fi
    card?
    I'm able to access the internet and download e-mails by linking to my
    router, but I can't get it to recognise my laptop to sync everything else?
    I've followed the instructions to the letter, but still no luck.
    Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Paul

  2. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Try this

    "WiFi card HotSync through my router. This method seems as fast or
    faster than via the USB cable. Only secret is to leave the Primary PC
    name blank (no entry at all) on your Palm's HotSync Option settings.
    Known bug. Two exclamation marks work also "!!". Also, change Modem
    Sync Prefs to "Network", LanSync to "LanSync" and get back to the
    HotSync screen. Now tap the "Modem" button over the big HotSync icon
    (instead of "Local"). Each time you do a wifi HotSync, the name will
    be thrown back into the settings, and you have to delete it all over
    again.

    Back on the PC, check "Network" in the HotSync manager (little icon in
    the bottom right tool tray), then click Setup, then the Network tab,
    then check off your HotSync name, and tap the "TCP/IP" button. Enter
    the IP address for your computer that the router uses. Don't worry
    about the subnet mask unless you really want to. Back on your Palm,
    tap the big HotSync icon in the center of the screen and it should
    work".

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:59:24 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >Has anyone got any experience hotsyncing over wi-fi with the palmOne wi-fi
    >card?
    >I'm able to access the internet and download e-mails by linking to my
    >router, but I can't get it to recognise my laptop to sync everything else?
    >I've followed the instructions to the letter, but still no luck.
    >Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    >Paul

    Regards,
    Del LaBo
    Rittman, Ohio
    dlabo@neo.rr.com

  3. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    I've tried that but it still doesn't seem to work.
    Do I need to set up a network in the card software like I've done for my
    router?

    Paul

    "Del" wrote in message
    > Try this
    >
    > "WiFi card HotSync through my router. This method seems as fast or
    > faster than via the USB cable. Only secret is to leave the Primary PC
    > name blank (no entry at all) on your Palm's HotSync Option settings.
    > Known bug. Two exclamation marks work also "!!". Also, change Modem
    > Sync Prefs to "Network", LanSync to "LanSync" and get back to the
    > HotSync screen. Now tap the "Modem" button over the big HotSync icon
    > (instead of "Local"). Each time you do a wifi HotSync, the name will
    > be thrown back into the settings, and you have to delete it all over
    > again.
    >
    > Back on the PC, check "Network" in the HotSync manager (little icon in
    > the bottom right tool tray), then click Setup, then the Network tab,
    > then check off your HotSync name, and tap the "TCP/IP" button. Enter
    > the IP address for your computer that the router uses. Don't worry
    > about the subnet mask unless you really want to. Back on your Palm,
    > tap the big HotSync icon in the center of the screen and it should
    > work".
    >

    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:59:24 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everyone,
    >>
    >>Has anyone got any experience hotsyncing over wi-fi with the palmOne wi-fi
    >>card?
    >>I'm able to access the internet and download e-mails by linking to my
    >>router, but I can't get it to recognise my laptop to sync everything else?
    >>I've followed the instructions to the letter, but still no luck.
    >>Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>

    > Regards,
    > Del LaBo
    > Rittman, Ohio
    > dlabo@neo.rr.com

  4. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Before we go any further I have go questions.

    1) What Palm Device do you have?

    2) Can you surf the internet or retreive email by using the WiFi card?

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:57:14 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    wrote:

    >I've tried that but it still doesn't seem to work.
    >Do I need to set up a network in the card software like I've done for my
    >router?
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >"Del" wrote in message
    >> Try this
    >>
    >> "WiFi card HotSync through my router. This method seems as fast or
    >> faster than via the USB cable. Only secret is to leave the Primary PC
    >> name blank (no entry at all) on your Palm's HotSync Option settings.
    >> Known bug. Two exclamation marks work also "!!". Also, change Modem
    >> Sync Prefs to "Network", LanSync to "LanSync" and get back to the
    >> HotSync screen. Now tap the "Modem" button over the big HotSync icon
    >> (instead of "Local"). Each time you do a wifi HotSync, the name will
    >> be thrown back into the settings, and you have to delete it all over
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Back on the PC, check "Network" in the HotSync manager (little icon in
    >> the bottom right tool tray), then click Setup, then the Network tab,
    >> then check off your HotSync name, and tap the "TCP/IP" button. Enter
    >> the IP address for your computer that the router uses. Don't worry
    >> about the subnet mask unless you really want to. Back on your Palm,
    >> tap the big HotSync icon in the center of the screen and it should
    >> work".
    >>

    >> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:59:24 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi everyone,
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone got any experience hotsyncing over wi-fi with the palmOne wi-fi
    >>>card?
    >>>I'm able to access the internet and download e-mails by linking to my
    >>>router, but I can't get it to recognise my laptop to sync everything else?
    >>>I've followed the instructions to the letter, but still no luck.
    >>>Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Paul
    >>>

    >> Regards,
    >> Del LaBo
    >> Rittman, Ohio
    >> dlabo@neo.rr.com

    Regards,
    Del LaBo
    Rittman, Ohio
    dlabo@neo.rr.com

  5. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Hi Del,

    Its a Tungsten T5 and I can surf web-sites and pick up e-mail fine. It has
    no problems talking to my router, just my laptop :-)

    Paul

    "Del" wrote in message
    > Before we go any further I have go questions.
    >
    > 1) What Palm Device do you have?
    >
    > 2) Can you surf the internet or retreive email by using the WiFi card?
    >

    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:57:14 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've tried that but it still doesn't seem to work.
    >>Do I need to set up a network in the card software like I've done for my
    >>router?
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>"Del" wrote in message
    >>> Try this
    >>>
    >>> "WiFi card HotSync through my router. This method seems as fast or
    >>> faster than via the USB cable. Only secret is to leave the Primary PC
    >>> name blank (no entry at all) on your Palm's HotSync Option settings.
    >>> Known bug. Two exclamation marks work also "!!". Also, change Modem
    >>> Sync Prefs to "Network", LanSync to "LanSync" and get back to the
    >>> HotSync screen. Now tap the "Modem" button over the big HotSync icon
    >>> (instead of "Local"). Each time you do a wifi HotSync, the name will
    >>> be thrown back into the settings, and you have to delete it all over
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> Back on the PC, check "Network" in the HotSync manager (little icon in
    >>> the bottom right tool tray), then click Setup, then the Network tab,
    >>> then check off your HotSync name, and tap the "TCP/IP" button. Enter
    >>> the IP address for your computer that the router uses. Don't worry
    >>> about the subnet mask unless you really want to. Back on your Palm,
    >>> tap the big HotSync icon in the center of the screen and it should
    >>> work".

    >>> Regards,
    >>> Del LaBo
    >>> Rittman, Ohio
    >>> dlabo@neo.rr.com

    > Regards,
    > Del LaBo
    > Rittman, Ohio
    > dlabo@neo.rr.com

  6. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Paul,

    Try these links,

    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips..._WiFi_card.htm

    http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?...tions&artid=20

    I have a T3 and have never messed with a T5. I'm not sure how
    different they are. If there links don't help let me know and we'll
    see if we can figure it out.

    Del

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:39:09 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    wrote:

    >Hi Del,
    >
    >Its a Tungsten T5 and I can surf web-sites and pick up e-mail fine. It has
    >no problems talking to my router, just my laptop :-)
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >"Del" wrote in message
    >> Before we go any further I have go questions.
    >>
    >> 1) What Palm Device do you have?
    >>
    >> 2) Can you surf the internet or retreive email by using the WiFi card?
    >>

    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:57:14 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've tried that but it still doesn't seem to work.
    >>>Do I need to set up a network in the card software like I've done for my
    >>>router?
    >>>
    >>>Paul
    >>>
    >>>"Del" wrote in message

    >> Regards,
    >> Del LaBo
    >> Rittman, Ohio
    >> dlabo@neo.rr.com

    Regards,
    Del LaBo
    Rittman, Ohio
    dlabo@neo.rr.com

  7. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Hi

    I looked at the two sites you mentioned but unfortunately they didn't
    mention anything I hadn't already tried.
    Two things that I've been wondering about are the IP address and whether or
    not I need to set up a network profile in the wifi software on my handheld
    as I have done for my router.
    I've been getting the IP address from the setup option on the hotsync icon,
    which I think is the right thing to do, but I've also tried setting up a
    network to connect ad-hoc to my laptop, as whenever I turn on the wifi it
    automatically connects to my router. This seems to involve different IP
    addresses and I wondered if this might be where I was going wrong.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Paul

    "Del" wrote in message
    > Paul,
    >
    > Try these links,
    >
    > http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips..._WiFi_card.htm
    >
    > http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?...tions&artid=20
    >
    > I have a T3 and have never messed with a T5. I'm not sure how
    > different they are. If there links don't help let me know and we'll
    > see if we can figure it out.
    >
    > Del
    >

    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:39:09 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Del,
    >>
    >>Its a Tungsten T5 and I can surf web-sites and pick up e-mail fine. It has
    >>no problems talking to my router, just my laptop :-)
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>"Del" wrote in message
    >>> Before we go any further I have go questions.
    >>>
    >>> 1) What Palm Device do you have?
    >>>
    >>> 2) Can you surf the internet or retreive email by using the WiFi card?

    >>> Regards,
    >>> Del LaBo
    >>> Rittman, Ohio
    >>> dlabo@neo.rr.com

    > Regards,
    > Del LaBo
    > Rittman, Ohio
    > dlabo@neo.rr.com

  8. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Paul,

    You should be able to WiFi Hotsync either through your router or
    ad-hoc with your laptop. If you want to by-pass the router and connect
    directly with the laptop (ad-hoc) you will need to setup a new profile
    on your palm and you will need to change your laptop's WiFi setup to
    ad-hoc. Which means each time you hotsync via the WiFi you'll have to
    change the laptop configuration to ad-hoc and select the ad-host setup
    in your palm. As for the IP Addresses I believe you will have to
    assign an ip address to both the laptop and palm if you use the
    ad-hock.

    All the information I've sent prior was how to hotsync via an access
    point / router. I did a Google Search on Palm Ad-Hoc and came up with
    this.
    Wi-Fi Hotsync Without A Router/Access Point

    You can perform a Hotsync between your Palm and your PC without using
    a Wi-Fi Router/Access Point by establishing what is called an "ad-hoc"
    Wi-Fi network. This method connects the two devices directly together.
    It requires that you hard-code your IP addresses, though, and you'll
    have to make some other settings on your PC and your Palm which we'll
    cover here.

    Preliminary Steps Before You Get Started

    Make sure that you can successfully perform a Hotsync using your
    cradle/cable.

    Before attempting a Wi-Fi Hotsync, be sure to download any software
    patches or updates from your hardware manufacturer.
    Be sure to disable any firewall software present on your computer
    (this could be standard Microsoft Windows or a third-party product).
    Configure the PC

    On the computer, in the taskbar, right-click the HotSync Manager icon.
    On the HotSync Manager menu, ensure Network is selected.
    Click Setup. In the Setup window, click the Network tab.
    On the Network tab, in the Checked users make this their Primary PC
    for performing a Network HotSync operation box, click to select the
    appropriate user.
    Click the TCP/IP Settings button. In the TCP/IP Settings window, next
    to Primary PC Name, note the computer name. Next to Primary PC
    Address, note the computer address. Next to Subnet Mask (Optional),
    note the subnet mask. Click the OK button.
    In the Setup window, click the OK button.
    Configure the handheld

    Go into the Palm Prefs application. In the Preferences window, in the
    upper-right corner, tap the down arrow, and then tap to select
    Network.
    Next to Service, tap the down arrow, and then tap to select Wireless
    LAN.
    Tap the Details button. In the Wireless LAN Setup window, tap the
    Create button. In the ProfileName box, enter a profile name.
    In the NetworkID (SSID) box, enter the Service Set Identifier (SSID)
    name of the peer-to-peer (ad hoc) wireless card.
    IMPORTANT: If there is only one wireless card within range, it is not
    necessary to enter an SSID name.
    Under ConnectMode, tap the Adhoc button.
    Under the Adhoc button, next to ch:, tap the down arrow, and then tap
    to select the appropriate channel.
    Tap the Advanced Setup button. Next to IP Address:, tap to clear the
    Auto box. In the IP Address area, enter an available IP address in the
    same IP range as the computer. NOTES: If the IP address of the
    computer is 192.168.0.50, an IP address in the same range would be
    192.168.0.51.
    In the SubnetMask area, enter the same subnet mask as the computer.
    In the Gateway Address area, enter the same gateway address as the
    computer.
    Next to PowerSaveMode, tap to clear the Enable box. Tap the OK button.
    In the Wireless LAN Setup window, tap the OK button.
    Under Profile Name, tap the OK button.
    On the handheld, in the HotSync window, in the upper-left corner, tap
    the HotSync tab.
    On the Options menu, tap Primary PC Setup. In the PrimaryPC Setup
    window, below Primary PC Name, enter two exclamation mark symbols
    (!!).
    In the Primary PC Address box, enter the computer primary computer
    address. In the Subnet Mask (optional) box, enter the computer subnet
    mask. Tap the OK button.
    In the HotSync window, in the upper-left corner, tap the HotSync tab.
    On the Options menu, tap Modem Sync Prefs.
    In the ModemSync Preferences window, tap the Network button.
    Tap the OK button.
    In the HotSync window, in the upper-left corner, tap the HotSync tab.
    On the Options menu, tap LANSync Prefs.
    In the LANSync Preferences window, tap the LANSync button.
    Tap the OK button.
    In the HotSync window, tap the Modem button. Tap the Select Service
    button. In the Preferences window, next to Service, ensure Wireless
    LAN is displayed. Click the Done button.
    Perform the Hotsync

    In the Preferences window under Network settings, tap the Connect
    button.
    Tap the HotSync button.

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:49:41 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I looked at the two sites you mentioned but unfortunately they didn't
    >mention anything I hadn't already tried.
    >Two things that I've been wondering about are the IP address and whether or
    >not I need to set up a network profile in the wifi software on my handheld
    >as I have done for my router.
    >I've been getting the IP address from the setup option on the hotsync icon,
    >which I think is the right thing to do, but I've also tried setting up a
    >network to connect ad-hoc to my laptop, as whenever I turn on the wifi it
    >automatically connects to my router. This seems to involve different IP
    >addresses and I wondered if this might be where I was going wrong.
    >
    >Thanks again for your help,
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >"Del" wrote in message
    >> Paul,
    >>
    >> Try these links,
    >>
    >> http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips..._WiFi_card.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?...tions&artid=20
    >>
    >> I have a T3 and have never messed with a T5. I'm not sure how
    >> different they are. If there links don't help let me know and we'll
    >> see if we can figure it out.
    >>
    >> Del
    >>

    >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:39:09 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Del,
    >>>
    >>>Its a Tungsten T5 and I can surf web-sites and pick up e-mail fine. It has
    >>>no problems talking to my router, just my laptop :-)
    >>>
    >>>Paul
    >>>
    >>>"Del" wrote in message

    >> Regards,
    >> Del LaBo
    >> Rittman, Ohio
    >> dlabo@neo.rr.com

    Regards,
    Del LaBo
    Rittman, Ohio
    dlabo@neo.rr.com

  9. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Del,

    Going through the router would be fine. It sound like less hassle and I
    usually only sync at home anyway.
    I take it that by connecting to my router automatically when turning the
    handheld on, nothings going wrong?
    The laptop seems to be completely oblivious to the handheld, even though the
    network option is selected in hotsync and the IP address and subnet masks
    match. When I tap the hotsync button on the handheld, nothing happens on the
    laptop screen then after a few seconds I get an error saying the connection
    could not be established.
    Thanks for your continued help, its very much appreciated.

    Paul

    "Del" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>as I have done for my router.
    >>I've been getting the IP address from the setup option on the hotsync
    >>icon,
    >>which I think is the right thing to do, but I've also tried setting up a
    >>network to connect ad-hoc to my laptop, as whenever I turn on the wifi it
    >>automatically connects to my router. This seems to involve different IP
    >>addresses and I wondered if this might be where I was going wrong.
    >>
    >>Thanks again for your help,
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>
    >>"Del" wrote in message
    >>> Paul,
    >>>
    >>> Try these links,
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips..._WiFi_card.htm
    >>>
    >>> http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?...tions&artid=20
    >>>
    >>> I have a T3 and have never messed with a T5. I'm not sure how
    >>> different they are. If there links don't help let me know and we'll

  10. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Paul,

    The way I have my T3 setup is as follows.

    == Palm Settings ==========================================

    I believe your networking properties are set ok since you can connect
    to the internet etc.

    Open Hotsync on your Palm.
    Right above the Hotsync Button in the middle of the screen you should
    see Local and Modem
    Tap Modem
    Now below the Hotsync button you should see another box, it may say
    Untitled. Tap that box.
    Tap the Service down arrow. Scroll through the list and see if you
    find WiFi. If so tap WiFi, then tap Done
    You should go back to the main Hotsync screen
    At the top of the screen tap on Hotsync then tap Primary PC Setup
    For the T3 I enter two ! in the Primary PC Name
    Enter the IP Address for your laptop in the Primary PC Address
    Enter your networks Subnet Mask Tap OK

    At the top of the screen tap on Hotsync then tap Primary PC Setup
    Tap Modem Sync Perfs
    Select Network
    Tap OK

    == Laptop ===============================================

    Right click on your Hotsync icon in the system tray
    Make sure Network is checked

    Click on Setup
    Click on the Setup Tab
    Make sure your Palm's name is in the listed and checked

    I think that should do it. Try to Hotsync...

    On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:52:05 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>

    >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:49:41 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Schofield"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I looked at the two sites you mentioned but unfortunately they didn't
    >>>mention anything I hadn't already tried.
    >>>Two things that I've been wondering about are the IP address and whether
    >>>or
    >>>not I need to set up a network profile in the wifi software on my handheld
    >>>as I have done for my router.
    >>>I've been getting the IP address from the setup option on the hotsync
    >>>icon,
    >>>which I think is the right thing to do, but I've also tried setting up a
    >>>network to connect ad-hoc to my laptop, as whenever I turn on the wifi it
    >>>automatically connects to my router. This seems to involve different IP
    >>>addresses and I wondered if this might be where I was going wrong.

    Regards,
    Del LaBo
    Rittman, Ohio
    dlabo@neo.rr.com

  11. Re: Hotsync with palmOne wi-fi card

    Del,

    Even though I had tried everything you last posted, I decided to give it
    another go thinking it couldn't do any harm.
    All I changed was the Primary PC name in the hotsync settings to !!. For
    some reason it has now decided to work, even though, as I said, I have tried
    this before.
    All I need to do now is to figure out how to transfer large files over the
    wi-fi connection (movies I watch with TCPMP) and I'll never need the USB
    cable again.
    Thank you for all your help and patience, its been appreciated.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread