Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone? - Palmtop ; Hello, can I use a branch connection (tee) for allowing 2 people to hear music from my Palm Tungsten T? Or can this damage the jack or even the maonboard of the Tungsten? Is it possible to use a branch ...

  1. Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone?

    Hello,
    can I use a branch connection (tee) for allowing 2 people to hear music
    from my Palm Tungsten T?
    Or can this damage the jack or even the maonboard of the Tungsten?
    Is it possible to use a branch connection for more than 2 people?
    Thanks
    Dor

  2. Re: Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone?

    doar_zevel_x@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > can I use a branch connection (tee) for allowing 2 people to hear
    > music from my Palm Tungsten T?
    > Or can this damage the jack or even the maonboard of the Tungsten?
    > Is it possible to use a branch connection for more than 2 people?

    A Y-adapter will work, albeit splitting the output power in half (to
    each headset). If it's just an adapter, I suppose it could provide
    leverage to damage the connecter. You could always buy a wired Y-adapter
    (small length of wire).

    Finally, for more than two listeners--or perhaps even for just two if
    the output volume isn't all that loud--you can buy a volume booster. I
    have a 3-channel headphone volume booster (from Radio Shack) that uses
    two AA batteries and allows for three headphone connections at once.

    Ironically, I bought that volume booster after buying Tungsten T back in
    2002. I thought the volume was too low just for one listener. Obviously,
    YMMV.

    --
    Mike

  3. Re: Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone?

    On 11 Nov 2005 07:07:28 -0800, doar_zevel_x@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >can I use a branch connection (tee) for allowing 2 people to hear music
    >from my Palm Tungsten T?
    >Or can this damage the jack or even the maonboard of the Tungsten?
    >Is it possible to use a branch connection for more than 2 people?
    >Thanks
    >Dor

    The Rat Shack sells some nice, little battery operated speakers which
    plug right into your T/T for around $12.00/$13.00. They have a couple
    of varieties on hand and the quality is surprisingly good.
    --
    Capt. Ed

  4. Re: Can 2 or more people hear music from Palm's earphone?

    Tinman wrote:
    > doar_zevel_x@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>can I use a branch connection (tee) for allowing 2 people to hear
    >>music from my Palm Tungsten T?
    >>Or can this damage the jack or even the maonboard of the Tungsten?
    >>Is it possible to use a branch connection for more than 2 people?

    > A Y-adapter will work, albeit splitting the output power in half (to
    > each headset).

    Hmm, seems like if you plug two sets of headphones in in parallel,
    that would cut the impedence in half, which would cause the total
    power output to actually increase. Whether it doubles or increases
    less is a function of the particular type of circuit, I guess.

    So the power that each set of headphones receives will probably be
    less than they'd get if there were just one set of headphones, but
    the total power output from the Tungsten should be higher. Whether
    this will damage the Tungsten is another story entirely. Hopefully
    they've designed the circuit to be able to handle that, and I would
    be surprised if such a low-power circuit could overheat very easily.
    It is possible to have problems with big power amps overheating if
    you put too low impedence a load on them, but we're talking about
    hundreds of watts whereas the Tungsten is going to be more like a
    fraction of a watt.

    I guess if you really want to be safe, you could check if the Tungsten
    specifies the minimum impedence for headphones and use Ohm's Law to
    determine if the combined impedence of all the headphones you plug in
    is high enough to be safe. For example, if (and this is just
    hypothetical) the Tungsten T can handle a 32 ohm load, and if you have
    two sets of headphones which are 64 ohms, then you should be safe if
    you plug them in, because 1/(1/64 + 1/64) = 32. By the way, the
    reason I picked 32 ohms as a guess for the Tungsten T's minimum
    impedance is store.palm.com sells some phones with a 32 ohm impedence
    that they say are compatible with the Tungsten T.

    - Logan

+ Reply to Thread