Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 - Palmtop ; Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I get a fatal exception error. Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix it? I can reset the Palm ...

  1. Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I
    get a fatal exception error.

    Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix it?

    I can reset the Palm after every hotsync and it works ok, but I really
    don't think this is the ideal solution.

    Thanks in advance!

    Miktor
    (bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

  2. Re: Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    Miktor wrote:
    > Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I
    > get a fatal exception error.
    >
    > Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix
    > it?
    >
    > I can reset the Palm after every hotsync and it works ok, but I really
    > don't think this is the ideal solution.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Miktor
    > (bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

    There are two potential sources of information that can help diagnose
    this problem: the Hotsync log and Windows Event View logs. If you have
    the exact text of the error message, that also can be important.

    Barring anything that comes out of these logs, your best bet is to do a
    hard reset on the Palm; essentially starting over with nothing but the
    Palm applications. Then, install each third party applicaiton one at a
    time, hotsync, and wait for a repeat of the error.

  3. Re: Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    "Miktor" wrote in message
    news:1130957056.834387.161070@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I
    > get a fatal exception error.
    >
    > Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix
    > it?
    >
    > I can reset the Palm after every hotsync and it works ok, but I really
    > don't think this is the ideal solution.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Miktor
    > (bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

    Seeing your question again this morning, it occured to me that you might
    sync to only one active conduit at a time. This might help narrow the
    problem source.

  4. Re: Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    http://kb.palm.com/
    < Home < Support
    Support Knowledge Library
    Solution ID: 26344

    Some users have noticed that their desktop computer goes to the "blue
    screen" (known informally as "blue screen of death" or "BSOD") when
    they begin a HotSync operation. This can happen for a number of
    reasons. Look over the items below, and see if any of them apply to
    your situation.

    CPU uses Hyper-Threading Technology
    One cause of the "blue screen" can be that your desktop computer's CPU
    uses Hyper-Threading Technology. (see Intel's page about
    Hyper-Threading Technology) At the time of writing, Hyper-Threading
    Technology is not suppported by Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager.

    Dual- or Multiple-CPU computer
    At the time of writing, multiple-CPU desktop computers are not
    supported by Palm.

    You may be able to address "blue screen" problems on dual- or
    multiple-CPU computers by setting the processor affinity for the
    HotSync process to CPU 0. Consult your desktop computer's documentation
    to learn how to do this. Usually, the affinity adjustment can be made
    by right-clicking the HotSync.exe process in the Windows Task Manager
    process list.

    Note: If you need help using a multiple-CPU computer, please contact
    the computer's vendor or manufacturer.

    Fast User Switching in Windows XP
    The Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager software do not support Fast User
    Switching under Windows XP. You may encounter the "blue screen" if you
    switch users via Fast User Switching.

    To switch between different users on a Windows XP system, select Log
    Out rather than Switch User. Alternatively, quit Palm Desktop and
    HotSync Manager before switching users.

    Windows Terminal Server or Windows Server Editions
    Terminal Server or Server Editions of the Windows operating system are
    not supported by Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager. If you're using a
    Terminal Server or Server Edition of Windows, you may see the "blue
    screen" when you try to synchronize. We recommend synchronizing with a
    desktop computer that uses a standard supported version of Windows.
    Typically, the supported operating systems are listed on the side of
    your device's box, or in its specifications.

    Small note: Windows 98 SE is not a server edition. The SE stands for
    "Second Edition." Windows 98 SE is compatible with most versions of
    Palm Desktop.

    What else can I do?
    If you don't fit the criteria above but are still seeing the "blue
    screen" every time you perform a HotSync operation, there is a possible
    temporary workaround. Reboot your computer. Then, perform the HotSync
    operation.

  5. Re: Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    I have EXACTLY the same problem with my E2 and Macintosh. Every time I
    sync I either get a Fatal Exception message on my E2 (when I sync via
    Bluetooth), then an automatic soft reset on the E2; or I can't get a
    connection when I try to sync via cable and then I have to do a soft
    reset to get it to sync. I didn't originally have this problem but it
    started after I updated my Mac software from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. It is
    still happening with 10.4.3.

    Miktor wrote:
    > Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I
    > get a fatal exception error.
    >
    > Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix it?
    >
    > I can reset the Palm after every hotsync and it works ok, but I really
    > don't think this is the ideal solution.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Miktor
    > (bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

  6. Re: Fatal Exception every time I Hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2

    The problem could be that you are doing a hotsync to place whatever
    onto the card. I've found that sometimes my E2 doesn't see
    anything on the card or that there is a card & I have to "pop" the card
    out then pushing the card back in..

    On 2005-11-13, dklueck@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have EXACTLY the same problem with my E2 and Macintosh. Every time I
    > sync I either get a Fatal Exception message on my E2 (when I sync via
    > Bluetooth), then an automatic soft reset on the E2; or I can't get a
    > connection when I try to sync via cable and then I have to do a soft
    > reset to get it to sync. I didn't originally have this problem but it
    > started after I updated my Mac software from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. It is
    > still happening with 10.4.3.
    >

    > Miktor wrote:
    >> Every time I hotsync my Palm Tungsten E2 with my Windows XP laptop, I
    >> get a fatal exception error.
    >>
    >> Anybody got any idea what I could be doing wrong or how I could fix it?
    >>
    >> I can reset the Palm after every hotsync and it works ok, but I really
    >> don't think this is the ideal solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> Miktor
    >> (bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)