the TX - not so good - Palmtop

This is a discussion on the TX - not so good - Palmtop ; I had great expectations from the TX... It looks to me that none of the bugs found (and widely discussed) on the LifeDrive were fixed on the TX. The lack of proper caching in Blazer is especially irritating. EXAMPLE. Go ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. the TX - not so good

    I had great expectations from the TX...

    It looks to me that none of the bugs found (and widely discussed) on the
    LifeDrive were fixed on the TX.

    The lack of proper caching in Blazer is especially irritating.

    EXAMPLE. Go to BBC NEWS or Google News, find a news item somewhere in the
    middle of the web page so that your scroll bar moves. Click on it to load the
    news item. Then go back to the previous page. Not only that it gets reloaded
    but the top of the page shows so that you need to scroll down again.

    IMHO this is a major bug which makes Blazer useless for my purposes.

    EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address using
    contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address which makes
    the address invalid. You need to delete it.

    /PaulN

  2. Re: the TX - not so good

    It seems to me that this would be a software issue with Blazer. Find
    another program if it doesn't fit your purpose.

    As far as the ; getting appended to the email, does this prevent the
    message from being sent? I noticed that MS Outlook also uses a ; to
    separate email addresses, but it still seems to work fine sending and
    receiving.

    - Chris

    --
    (. .)
    =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

  3. Re: the TX - not so good

    Chris McMahan aszonygya:
    :It seems to me that this would be a software issue with Blazer. Find
    :another program if it doesn't fit your purpose.

    Blazer is the only one which would fit my purpose but it has this cache
    issue.

    :As far as the ; getting appended to the email, does this prevent the
    :message from being sent? I noticed that MS Outlook also uses a ; to
    :separate email addresses, but it still seems to work fine sending and
    :receiving.

    Yep, it does prevent it. In both the LifeDrive and the TX.

    BTW, I just touched the tip of the iceberg, I mean TXberg. My list of bugs
    which Palm has not fixed in the TX is quite long.

    /PaulN

  4. Re: the TX - not so good

    The reason I'm responding is I'm interested in the TX as my T-3
    replacement, and I'd like to flesh out these issues before I commit.

    What other items do you have?

    - Chris

    --
    (. .)
    =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================
    Chris McMahan | first_initiallastname@one.dot.net

  5. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai wrote:
    > BTW, I just touched the tip of the iceberg, I mean TXberg. My list of bugs
    > which Palm has not fixed in the TX is quite long.

    I'm considering the TX and would like to that list, if you don't mind. How
    about posting it here?

  6. Re: the TX - not so good

    Chris McMahan aszonygya:
    :The reason I'm responding is I'm interested in the TX as my T-3
    :replacement, and I'd like to flesh out these issues before I commit.
    :
    :What other items do you have?

    The DIA is screwed up and was not fixed in the TX. I can produce proofs in
    all built-in apps [PIMs]. Of course, in real life it might not bother you.
    Not even me.

    The NVFS is a huge failure and still is. Correctly written applications fail
    because the OS itself is defective. This might not bother you.

    For me the biggest problem is the caching issue with Blazer. That prevents
    me from using the TX to read news.

    VersaMail has bugs but still works very well. Blazer is good to apart from the
    caching problem.

    The display is beautiful.

    The hotsync/power cables suck. Really. So does the cradle.

    So I am not recommending against the TX but you must accept its shortcomings.
    I am not yet sure if I can.

    I have about a dozen Palms and all my old Palms until OS 5 were great. With
    OS 5, I only like the TC.

    /PaulN

  7. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai <2me@PaulComputing.com> wrote:

    > EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address using
    > contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address which makes
    > the address invalid. You need to delete it.

    Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13

    --
    JdD

  8. Re: the TX - not so good

    wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:
    :Paul Nevai <2me@PaulComputing.com> wrote:
    :
    :> EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address using
    :> contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address which makes
    :> the address invalid. You need to delete it.
    :
    :Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13

    Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it and then
    the message fails.

    On my TC this doesn't happen.

    /Paul

  9. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai wrote:

    > wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:
    > :Paul Nevai <2me@PaulComputing.com> wrote:
    > :
    > :> EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address using
    > :> contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address which makes
    > :> the address invalid. You need to delete it.
    > :
    > :Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13
    >
    > Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it and then
    > the message fails.
    >
    > On my TC this doesn't happen.

    Yes it bothers me every time.
    Good that it doesn't happen on your TC. What would be the difference?

    --
    JdD

  10. Re: the TX - not so good

    On 02 Nov 2005, 2me@PaulComputing.com (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    > I had great expectations from the TX...

    [snip]

    > EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address
    > using contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the
    > address which makes the address invalid. You need to delete it.

    I just tried it on my brand new TX. No extra ";" with either a single
    of multiple addresses. Works just fine as far as I can see.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  11. Re: the TX - not so good

    Joost den Draaijer wrote:
    > Paul Nevai wrote:
    >
    >> wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:

    >>> Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13

    >> Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it
    >> and then the message fails.
    >>
    >> On my TC this doesn't happen.
    >>

    > Yes it bothers me every time.

    It doesn't bother me one bit on my Sprint Treo 650 (1.12). If I start
    typing in the "To" field, and pick an email address from there, I get
    the person's name in double-quotes followed by their email address in
    brackets--followed by a semicolon.

    But I can send that email just fine, using Sprint's SMTP server, without
    deleting that semicolon. No errors or bounced email. In most email apps,
    the recipient will see whatever name I have for them in the Contacts app
    (on the Treo) as the recipient (e.g., Bill Smith, not
    bsmith@anyisp.com).

    I can also tap on the word "To" to bring up a recipient list, then tap
    "Lookup" to add an address to the list. This merely places the email
    address in the "To" field, without the trailing semicolon. This works
    fine too. However, recipients see the email as being sent to just their
    email address--no name (e.g., they see bsmith@anyisp.com and not Bill
    Smith).

    Perhaps Sprint's SMTP server simply ignores the trailing semicolon or
    there is a difference with the Sprint version of the software?

    --
    Mike

  12. Re: the TX - not so good

    wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:
    :> :> EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address using
    :> :> contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address which makes
    :> :> the address invalid. You need to delete it.
    :> :
    :> :Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13
    :>
    :> Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it and then
    :> the message fails.
    :>
    :> On my TC this doesn't happen.
    :>
    :Yes it bothers me every time.
    :Good that it doesn't happen on your TC. What would be the difference?

    What do you mean? /Paul

  13. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai wrote:

    > wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:
    > :> :> EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address
    > :> :> using contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address
    > :> :> which makes the address invalid. You need to delete it.
    > :> :
    > :> :Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13
    > :>
    > :> Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it and
    > :> then the message fails.
    > :>
    > :> On my TC this doesn't happen.
    > :>
    > :Yes it bothers me every time.
    > :Good that it doesn't happen on your TC. What would be the difference?
    >
    > What do you mean? /Paul

    Same software, different behaviour on different machines.

    --
    JdD

  14. Re: the TX - not so good

    :Paul Nevai wrote:
    :
    :> wbbfgqraqennvwre@kf4nyy.ay (Joost den Draaijer) aszonygya:
    :> :> :> EXAMPLE. In VersaMail when you send a message and pick an address
    :> :> :> using contacts, an extra ";" gets appended to the end of the address
    :> :> :> which makes the address invalid. You need to delete it.
    :> :> :
    :> :> :Same here. On a Treo 650, unlocked GSM version, firmware 1.13
    :> :>
    :> :> Does this bother you? It does bother me since I forget to delete it and
    :> :> then the message fails.
    :> :>
    :> :> On my TC this doesn't happen.
    :> :>
    :> :Yes it bothers me every time.
    :> :Good that it doesn't happen on your TC. What would be the difference?
    :>
    :> What do you mean? /Paul
    :
    :Same software, different behaviour on different machines.

    Same software but different version. That explains it. /PaulN

  15. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai wrote:

    > Chris McMahan aszonygya:
    > :The reason I'm responding is I'm interested in the TX as my T-3
    > :replacement, and I'd like to flesh out these issues before I commit.
    > :
    > :What other items do you have?
    >
    > The DIA is screwed up and was not fixed in the TX. I can produce proofs in
    > all built-in apps [PIMs]. Of course, in real life it might not bother you.
    > Not even me.

    Paul, I am interested so can you give us some examples please? Thanks.

    Andrew

  16. Re: the TX - not so good

    "Andrew Wong" aszonygya:
    :Paul Nevai wrote:
    :
    :> Chris McMahan aszonygya:
    :> :The reason I'm responding is I'm interested in the TX as my T-3
    :> :replacement, and I'd like to flesh out these issues before I commit.
    :> :
    :> :What other items do you have?
    :>
    :> The DIA is screwed up and was not fixed in the TX. I can produce proofs in
    :> all built-in apps [PIMs]. Of course, in real life it might not bother you.
    :> Not even me.
    :
    :Paul, I am interested so can you give us some examples please? Thanks.

    From memory...

    Go to Memos, put the focusing ring on "New". Hit the DIA icon a few times.
    Then make the DIA disappear with one more tap. Then tap on the clock icon.
    Then tap outside the clock dialog. Result: the "New" button disappeared.

    Works in both portrait and landscape mode. It is a the result of bug which I
    reported several times but Palm [or PalmSource] didn't fix.

    Almost all PIMs have this bug.

    Another one in the launcher: many times the scroll bar doesn't doesn't extend
    when the DIA is hidden. In the same place, many times the battery icon gets
    drawn on top of a dialog which open in the launcher.

    In Blazer, the graffiti state icon doesn't get repositioned when the DIA
    moves.

    In Blazer, auto-download of e-mail always crashes on my Palm.

    OK?

    /Paul

  17. Re: the TX - not so good

    I just got my Palm TX last week (Nov 2). So far I love it. I had a
    Palm III years ago and have had a Zire 71 for the last 3 years.

    nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    >Go to Memos, put the focusing ring on "New". Hit the DIA icon a few times.
    >Then make the DIA disappear with one more tap. Then tap on the clock icon.
    >Then tap outside the clock dialog. Result: the "New" button disappeared.

    Hey, how about that. I can reproduse this one. Its only cosmetic
    however. The button is still there and can be pressed. Or if you go
    into a memo and come back then the button shows again.

    Hmm, same result in Contacts, Todo, Datebook.

    I use DateBK5 for the Datebook and Todos and dont see the error there.

    This is a non issue for me. It involves doing a series of steps I'd
    never do anyway. But its interesting.

    >Another one in the launcher: many times the scroll bar doesn't doesn't extend
    >when the DIA is hidden. In the same place, many times the battery icon gets
    >drawn on top of a dialog which open in the launcher.

    I can't reproduce this. Seems fine to me.

    >In Blazer, the graffiti state icon doesn't get repositioned when the DIA
    >moves.
    >
    >In Blazer, auto-download of e-mail always crashes on my Palm.

    I have no idea what your saying here. What graffiti state icon? You
    mean the icon in the bar at the bottom and if its lit up or not. I'm
    guessing your talking about something else.

    In another post on this topic you mention blazer and how the cache
    works. I've not used blazer much yet but ya. That not right. Its
    like its not even useing the cache but re downloading the page
    everytime and you end up at the top of the page whenever you go back a
    page.

    How do I set the cache size?

    What other browsers are there? I'd like to try some of them out.

    Other thoughts I've had about the Palm TX since I got it.......
    Consider this a mini review.

    I've not looked for it but in playing around with Blazer tonight I
    think I'd like the landscape view to have the hard buttons on the
    right hand side for scrolling. Changing to a left hand view in the
    prefference does this but then the DIA is on the left. I want it on
    the right. I wonder if there is something that would flip the screen
    of the brower only and leave everything else alone. I think I'll look
    for such a thing tomorrow.

    I love the extra screen room and the popup writing area can be changed
    in several ways. I don't remember what the defaults where but I
    changed it to have the home,documents(the doc to go stuff) ,hotsync
    and find icons.

    Regarding the home icon.

    I saw that other palms have it in the little status bar at the bottom.
    The TX replaces this with the Find Icon. I'm aware that pressing the
    far left key toggles between your favorites and the launcher.

    A quick google search shows several programs already out that remap
    all the keys no problem. And another that convertes the find icon to
    a home icon instead. But that last one (SharkTXFix) seems to crash
    the tx from time to time. I was getting about 5 crashes a day. So I
    removed it and I'm running perfect again. Hopefully he fixes that
    because I'd like to change that find icon back into a home one on the
    little status bar. ( a word of caution on this, Its not a standard
    install nor can it be removed in the standard way, its not hard, just
    read up on it before you do it.)

    I like the 5 way joystick on the Zire 71 better then the 5 way on the
    TX. Or at least I did. After a week of using it I like this style as
    well. I love the way the TX can pretty much do anything in any app
    with just the 5 way and nothing else. Thats great and seems very
    natural.

    Wi-Fi was a snap to setup with full encription and works great. I do
    all my hotsyncing via Wi-Fi. You can setup your network connectins
    indepently of each other so setup your home one using a static ip so
    it connects faster by skipping the 3-4 seconds it takes to request an
    IP from your home network. It will still default to DHCP when visting
    someone elses WI-FI.

    I've never used bluetooth before but my brother in law has a bluetooth
    phone. It took us about 30 seconds to setup a link and start
    transfering pics and contact info and so forth. I'm impressed.

    It was pretty funny when I used the TX to make his cell phone call my
    cell phone.

    Overall I'm very impressed with the TX. It was a very good buy.

  18. Re: the TX - not so good

    Paul Nevai wrote:

    > "Andrew Wong" aszonygya:
    > Paul Nevai wrote:
    >
    > > The DIA is screwed up and was not fixed in the TX. I can produce proofs in
    > > all built-in apps [PIMs]. Of course, in real life it might not bother you.
    > > Not even me.

    > Paul, I am interested so can you give us some examples please? Thanks.
    >
    > Go to Memos, put the focusing ring on "New". Hit the DIA icon a few times.
    > Then make the DIA disappear with one more tap. Then tap on the clock icon.
    > Then tap outside the clock dialog. Result: the "New" button disappeared.
    >
    > Works in both portrait and landscape mode. It is a the result of bug which I
    > reported several times but Palm [or PalmSource] didn't fix.
    >
    > Almost all PIMs have this bug.
    >
    > Another one in the launcher: many times the scroll bar doesn't doesn't extend
    > when the DIA is hidden. In the same place, many times the battery icon gets
    > drawn on top of a dialog which open in the launcher.

    Thanks, but I can't reproduce the Memos bug on the T3 as it
    doesn't have a focusing ring. Do you have another example?

    One problem I've found is that sometimes the DIA icon is disabled
    when it shouldn't be. But I can't reproduce this reliably.

    Andrew

  19. Re: the TX - not so good

    Andrew Wong wrote:
    > Paul Nevai wrote:
    >
    > > "Andrew Wong" aszonygya:
    > > Paul Nevai wrote:
    > >
    > > > The DIA is screwed up and was not fixed in the TX. I can produce proofs in
    > > > all built-in apps [PIMs]. Of course, in real life it might not bother you.
    > > > Not even me.

    > > Paul, I am interested so can you give us some examples please? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Go to Memos, put the focusing ring on "New". Hit the DIA icon a few times.
    > > Then make the DIA disappear with one more tap. Then tap on the clock icon.
    > > Then tap outside the clock dialog. Result: the "New" button disappeared.
    > >
    > > Works in both portrait and landscape mode. It is a the result of bug which I
    > > reported several times but Palm [or PalmSource] didn't fix.
    > >
    > > Almost all PIMs have this bug.
    > >
    > > Another one in the launcher: many times the scroll bar doesn't doesn't extend
    > > when the DIA is hidden. In the same place, many times the battery icon gets
    > > drawn on top of a dialog which open in the launcher.

    > Thanks, but I can't reproduce the Memos bug on the T3 as it
    > doesn't have a focusing ring. Do you have another example?
    >
    > One problem I've found is that sometimes the DIA icon is disabled
    > when it shouldn't be. But I can't reproduce this reliably.

    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the DIA and focusing ring?

  20. Re: the TX - not so good

    Tere wrote:
    > Pardon my ignorance, but what is the DIA and focusing ring?

    DIA stands for Dynamic Input Area and is the collapsible Grafffiti area
    on the T3, T5, LifeDrive, TX, Zodiac, etc.

    I'm not 100% sure about focusing ring, but I think Paul is referring to
    the light blue highlighting around screen elements that lets you select
    buttons, etc. with the 5-way navigator on the T5, LifeDrive and TX.

    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast