Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use - Palmtop ; Do you know how to solve this Kyocera 7135 hotsync error? This feature is not available when the port is in use" A friend provided me with an older Kyocera 7135 PDA telephone a few months ago and I can't ...

  1. Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use

    Do you know how to solve this Kyocera 7135 hotsync error?
    This feature is not available when the port is in use"

    A friend provided me with an older Kyocera 7135 PDA telephone a few
    months ago and I can't count the number of times I've lost precious
    data because the Kyocera 7135 needs to be reset just to work as a
    telephone. Apparently, it works fine as a PDA but it does not work well
    as a telephone
    (http://www.palminfocenter.com//forum...4532185c9cfc95).
    Once you use it as a phone, it won't work as a PDA. I lost so much data
    so far that I'm ready to use this Kyocera cellphone for my next golf
    practice.

    So, to save my data, I decided to install the Palm Desktop so that I
    could at least have a backup of all my precious telephone numbers as
    they are lost every week, especially when I had over 50 numbers in my
    address book that I had in no other place.

    But now, when I hotsync by pressing the HotSync button on the Kyocera
    TXDTC10003 USB/SERIAL cradle, I constantly get an error message on my
    Kyocera 7135 palm os pda saying "HotSync: This feature is not available
    when the port is in use".

    I'm not using any port (I'm assuming they're talking about the serial
    port COM1 it's connected to). Nothing else is connected to the COM1
    serial port of the Windows XP PC. The power light is on and the phone
    has been set and reset into the cradle so I know the connections are
    tight.

    I even switched to the USB port but it didn't seem to make a difference
    (as noted in
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...0&pagenumber=2)
    which says says "The problem has nothing to do with your PC -- it has
    to do with the Palm side (Dragonball and hotsync) and the phone side
    (Qualcomm CDMA chipset as a modem) screwing up who is on the USB port
    on the phone."

    1. I uninstalled the Palm desktop, rebooted the WinXP PC and
    reinstalled the Kyocera Palm Desktop from
    http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135...ne/support.htm but I still
    get the Palm Desktop 4.1.0 HotSync error message "This feature is not
    available when the port is in use". After googling about, I see this
    was a futile attempt to fix the problem because the problem is not on
    the PC but on the Kyocera 7135 PDA telephone itself.

    2. I turned the phone on and off and removed the battery and replaced
    it, all in vain. When I press the HotSync button on the Kyocera cradle,
    I still get the error message "This feature is not available when the
    port is in use". The same error message occurs when I initiate the
    hotsync from the Kyocera 7135 PDA "touchscreen" as suggested at
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...651#post348651
    so there is something "stuck" in this Kyocera QCP 7135 telephone
    somewhere.

    3. I performed a soft reset of my Kyocera 7135 telephone pda by pulling
    off the battery cover and pressing the reset button with the stylus. I
    still get the Kyocera Palm Desktop 4.1.0 HotSync error message "This
    feature is not available when the port is in use". But at least I still
    have all my precious data even after pressing the button three times as
    suggested in a Kyocera phone PDA forum
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...4532185c9cfc95

    4. Unfortunately, I pulled the battery out and pressed the reset button
    on the Kyocera 7135 cellphone. Apparently that did a hard reset and I
    lost dozens of important telephone numbers. After I finished cursing
    the loss of all that data yet again, the Kyocera 7135 telephone STILL
    gave the HotSync error message "This feature is not available when the
    port is in use".

    5. I even tried the suggested method of clicking on the Kyocera Palm
    PDA "Fax Modem" icon, and when it says "Ready to Send", I hit the HOUSE
    icon. But I still get the error message "This feature is not available
    when the port is in use."

    6. Again googling for help on this error message I find the problem is
    common and it has nothing to do with the software on the PC but all to
    do with a bad design flaw in the Kyocera cellphone but knowing I
    shouldn't have accepted this Kyocera 7135 PDA cellphone in the first
    place doesn't help me solve the problem that I have right now.

    I tried everything I found, for example
    a. http://www.risingroad.com/symptoms/symptom0174.html
    says "Use Preferences - Network - Disconnect to close the TCP/IP
    connection and then try the HotSync synchronization again."

    b. http://www.companionlink.com/faq/errors/em0017.html
    says "Open CompanionLink Setup. Go to the File menu. Choose Reset Palm
    HotSync Settings. Exit CompanionLink."

    c. http://support.kyocera-wireless.com which says to do a hard reboot
    as shown above (which deletes all your hard earned data you're trying
    to save in the first place!).

    At this point, I've tried everything except asking you for help!
    Do you know how to solve this Kyocera hotsync error in a way I haven't
    tried yet?

  2. Re: Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the portis in use

    Think that pda is Palm, not PocketPC

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  3. Re: Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use

    So others obtain additional value in the future from this thread, here
    is a summary of what I've learned so far about the Kyocera QCP 7135
    error:
    This feature is not available when the port is in use:

    1. Check all cables and power and make sure your Palm Desktop software
    and USB drivers are up to date (but that is never really the
    problem).
    2. A temporary workaround is to press the "House" & then "HotSync" icon
    on the Kyocera 7135 touchscreen instead of the "HotSync" button on
    the
    Kyocera cradle.
    3. Another workaround is to click on the "House" icon on the Kyocera
    PDA
    touchscreen, then click on the Kyocera PDA "Fax Modem" icon, and
    when
    the modem application says "Ready to Send", hit the PDA "House" icon
    again.
    4. If that doesn't work, Open the CompanionLink Setup, go to the File
    menu,
    choose Reset Palm HotSync Settings and exit the CompanionLink
    program.
    5. If all else fails, perform a soft reset by removing the Kyocera 7135
    battery cover and press the reset button once with your stylus
    (sometimes up to three times does the trick).
    6. If nothing else works, peroform a destructive hard reset (you'll
    lose
    ALL your data stored on the Kyocera!) by removing the battery cover
    and removing the battery and then pressing the reset button once.
    7. If that fails, then you are lost and will have to ask the USENET for
    help.

  4. Re: Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use

    It is alleged that Bob Thompson claimed:

    > Do you know how to solve this Kyocera 7135 hotsync error?
    > This feature is not available when the port is in use"
    >
    > A friend provided me with an older Kyocera 7135 PDA telephone a few
    > months ago and I can't count the number of times I've lost precious
    > data because the Kyocera 7135 needs to be reset just to work as a
    > telephone. Apparently, it works fine as a PDA but it does not work well
    > as a telephone
    > (http://www.palminfocenter.com//forum...4532185c9cfc95).
    > Once you use it as a phone, it won't work as a PDA. I lost so much data
    > so far that I'm ready to use this Kyocera cellphone for my next golf
    > practice.

    I had a 7135 for almost two years. I think I may have run into that
    error twice. The only reason why I no longer have the Kyo is because I
    changed service providers. I found the 7135 to be a wonderful device,
    it worked flawlessly as a phone and it worked flawlessly as a PDA. At
    the same time, even.

    What is your use pattern? There are only two reasons I can think of
    why you'd get this problem consistently: Your specific handheld, being
    used, is broken. Or there is something about the way you are using it
    that is causing the problem. Have you contacted Kyocera for technical
    support?

    The only way you'd loose all your data off the thing is like any other
    PDA with volatile RAM: You either lost power or did a hard reset and
    opted for the "delete data" option.

    > So, to save my data, I decided to install the Palm Desktop so that I
    > could at least have a backup of all my precious telephone numbers as
    > they are lost every week, especially when I had over 50 numbers in my
    > address book that I had in no other place.

    For mobile backups, look at BackupMan or CardBackup for the PalmOS.
    They backup to an MMC card.

    > But now, when I hotsync by pressing the HotSync button on the Kyocera
    > TXDTC10003 USB/SERIAL cradle, I constantly get an error message on my
    > Kyocera 7135 palm os pda saying "HotSync: This feature is not available
    > when the port is in use".
    >
    > I'm not using any port (I'm assuming they're talking about the serial
    > port COM1 it's connected to). Nothing else is connected to the COM1
    > serial port of the Windows XP PC. The power light is on and the phone
    > has been set and reset into the cradle so I know the connections are
    > tight.

    On the phone, open the Prefs app and navigate to the Connections panel.
    Make sure that it's set correctly to connect to "PC" via
    "Cradle/Cable".

    > 3. I performed a soft reset of my Kyocera 7135 telephone pda by pulling
    > off the battery cover and pressing the reset button with the stylus. I
    > still get the Kyocera Palm Desktop 4.1.0 HotSync error message "This
    > feature is not available when the port is in use". But at least I still

    How do you have your desktop hotsync setup configured?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "...You have forgotten something." (Amb. Kosh, B5 "Chrysalis")

  5. Re: Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> [...]

    > > serial port of the Windows XP PC. The power light is on and the phone
    > > has been set and reset into the cradle so I know the connections are
    > > tight.

    > On the phone, open the Prefs app and navigate to the Connections panel.
    > Make sure that it's set correctly to connect to "PC" via
    > "Cradle/Cable".
    >
    > > 3. I performed a soft reset of my Kyocera 7135 telephone pda by pulling
    > > off the battery cover and pressing the reset button with the stylus. I
    > > still get the Kyocera Palm Desktop 4.1.0 HotSync error message "This
    > > feature is not available when the port is in use". But at least I still

    > How do you have your desktop hotsync setup configured?
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "...You have forgotten something." (Amb. Kosh, B5 "Chrysalis")

  6. Re: Kyocera 7135 HotSync This feature is not available when the port is in use

    Go to the home page and click on the FaxModem icon. It will say
    "initialing" and then "ready to send". This clears the port. Soft reset
    also works but this is a little easier since you don't have to take the
    back off of your palm

+ Reply to Thread