PalmOS - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PalmOS - Palmtop ; Hello there, I've been following the interesting thread about why/and why not/ PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux. But I am not interested in phones. I am planning (but now I have to say that may be I was ...) to ...

  1. PalmOS

    Hello there,

    I've been following the interesting thread about why/and why not/ PalmOS,
    Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux.

    But I am not interested in phones. I am planning (but now I have to say that
    may be I was ...) to buy a Palm Lifedrive unit. Along the thread it's said
    that PalmOS is dead, but it seems to me that some hope it's given to it. Can
    anybody explain why PalmOS is dead an how can we give some
    hope to it?

    I read about the PalmOs gearing efforts towards Linux; to me it seams a good
    way to reduce the OS development costs, and, plus, having a reliable
    platform. Thus, from my newby point of view, it should assure a more focused
    effort towards developing usefull features. From what I know, PalmOS still
    owns the biggest part of PDA OSs.

    Thanks,
    Omar.-

  2. Re: PalmOS

    __/ [Omar] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 09:38 \__

    > Hello there,
    >
    > I've been following the interesting thread about why/and why not/ PalmOS,
    > Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux.
    >
    > But I am not interested in phones. I am planning (but now I have to say
    > that may be I was ...) to buy a Palm Lifedrive unit. Along the thread it's
    > said that PalmOS is dead, but it seems to me that some hope it's given to
    > it. Can anybody explain why PalmOS is dead an how can we give some
    > hope to it?

    Are you aware that this might trigger an endless thread that goes nowhere?
    By no means if this a complaint, but I suggest you read any of the thou-
    sands of messages or fine-written articles on Pocket PC versus PalmOS ver-
    sus Linux, Symbian, etc. These controversies are nowadays raised or dis-
    cussed just about as often as the Linux/Mac/Windows or Frame/Noframe
    div/table disagreements.

    If you ask me personally, PalmOS is not dead apart from in the minds of
    those who wish to believe it.

    > I read about the PalmOs gearing efforts towards Linux; to me it seams a
    > good way to reduce the OS development costs, and, plus, having a reliable
    > platform. Thus, from my newby point of view, it should assure a more
    > focused effort towards developing usefull features. From what I know,
    > PalmOS still owns the biggest part of PDA OSs.

    According to some statistics I have seen, that is true. As for the Linux
    migration, I have not seen much progress and the Access takeover makes me
    somewhat skeptic. Nonetheless, I look forward to better Palm-Linux inte-
    gration.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: PalmOS

    Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:33:25 +0000 received comm from
    Roy Schestowitz on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : According to some statistics I have seen, that is true. As for the Linux
    : migration, I have not seen much progress and the Access takeover makes me
    : somewhat skeptic. Nonetheless, I look forward to better Palm-Linux inte-
    : gration.

    I think it's a bit too early to presume that a move from PalmOS to Linux core in
    future systems from Access will automatically translate to better integration
    and synch support between devices based on that new OS and Linux desktop.

    I have seen plenty of devices and gadgets using an embedded Linux core, but at
    he same time have absolutely no support for a connection to anything else than a
    pure Windows desktop (and i some more common cases also Mac desktop).

    So if I was you I wouldn't (based on that sole information of moving from PalmOS
    core to embedded Linux) have the hopes up too high for that (better support and
    integration for desktop Linux users) to happen.

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  4. Re: PalmOS and Linux

    __/ [Martin T] on Saturday 05 November 2005 11:06 \__

    > Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:33:25 +0000 received comm
    > from Roy Schestowitz on channel
    > comp.sys.palmtops:
    >
    > : According to some statistics I have seen, that is true. As for the
    > : Linux
    > : migration, I have not seen much progress and the Access takeover makes
    > : me
    > : somewhat skeptic. Nonetheless, I look forward to better Palm-Linux
    > : inte- gration.
    >
    > I think it's a bit too early to presume that a move from PalmOS to Linux
    > core in future systems from Access will automatically translate to better
    > integration and synch support between devices based on that new OS and
    > Linux desktop.
    >
    > I have seen plenty of devices and gadgets using an embedded Linux core, but
    > at he same time have absolutely no support for a connection to anything
    > else than a pure Windows desktop (and i some more common cases also Mac
    > desktop).
    >
    > So if I was you I wouldn't (based on that sole information of moving from
    > PalmOS core to embedded Linux) have the hopes up too high for that (better
    > support and integration for desktop Linux users) to happen.

    That's what worries me, still. Development is demand-driven. Philosophy does
    not appeal to the investor. I have been looking into the Nokia 770 this
    morning as it was very, very recently released. Now, if only it had personal
    information management available...

    http://www.lordpercy.com/nokia_770_internet_tablet.htm

    It seems as though we'll need to wait for people to use the SDK and extend
    (create more applications). I am fairly certain that the Nokia 770 will be
    easy to connect to a Linux box seamlessly. Having said that, at the moment
    it doesn't seem like the device had anything worth synchronising (bookmarks,
    mail archives...).

    Moreover, if it was ever to integrate with other machines, it could do so
    Web-based. I like the thought of heading in this direction: the Open Web for
    all communication. XML-RPC, OpenDocument/OASIS and the like are becoming
    more popular.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  5. Re: PalmOS and Linux

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:31:57 +0000 received comm from
    Roy Schestowitz on channel comp.sys.palmtops:

    : Web-based. I like the thought of heading in this direction: the Open Web for
    : all communication. XML-RPC, OpenDocument/OASIS and the like are becoming
    : more popular.

    Sound interesting (with a standard sync format). Which major devices and
    manufactures supports it today (Motorola, Palm/Treo, HP, Nokia, SonyEricsson,
    RIM, Samsung, Siemens, etc)?

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  6. Re: PalmOS and Proprietary Formats

    __/ [Martin T] on Sunday 06 November 2005 20:15 \__

    > Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:31:57 +0000 received comm
    > from Roy Schestowitz on channel
    > comp.sys.palmtops:
    >
    > : Web-based. I like the thought of heading in this direction: the Open Web
    > : for all communication. XML-RPC, OpenDocument/OASIS and the like are
    > : becoming more popular.
    >
    > Sound interesting (with a standard sync format). Which major devices and
    > manufactures supports it today (Motorola, Palm/Treo, HP, Nokia,
    > SonyEricsson, RIM, Samsung, Siemens, etc)?

    I really haven't a clue, I'm afraid.

    I wish proprietary came to an end or was discourged much more harshly, just
    as in the Massachusetts-Microsoft confrontation. I quite like it when I can
    simply graft entire profile directories such as the ones used by Firefox and
    Thunderbird (or Mozilla/Netscape, even KMail's mail folders). I can then
    just lay it at the right location on a Mac, or a Linux, or a Windows
    machine. All settings, cookies, bookmarks, extensions, data (mail) are in
    tact! That's the power of openness.

    Imagine being able to access the same data (e.g. calendar) in the exact same
    way from any PDA/mobile phone/Internet service/desktop application. No
    migrations, no formatting inconsistencies. Standards are enough to woo me as
    I already have too much opaque data on my hard-drive, which I can no longer
    interpret.

    Roy

+ Reply to Thread