PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas? - Palmtop ; As with many composers (and musicians in general), occasionally interesting melodies or harmonic ideas pop into mind out of the blue. When that happens, it would be nice to be able to write them down immediately. So, do any of ...

  1. PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    As with many composers (and musicians in general), occasionally
    interesting melodies or harmonic ideas pop into mind out of the blue.
    When that happens, it would be nice to be able to write them down
    immediately.

    So, do any of have suggestions for PalmPilot programs for jotting down
    musical ideas? It wouldn't have to be particularly fancy, just
    something that lets me use the stylus to place notes on a staff, that
    would be fine. If it can generate a MIDI file, or otherwise easily
    transfer to Sibelius, that would be nice too.

    --

    (Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
    will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get

  2. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:57:58 GMT, Gary Morrison wrote:

    > As with many composers (and musicians in general), occasionally
    > interesting melodies or harmonic ideas pop into mind out of the blue.
    > When that happens, it would be nice to be able to write them down
    > immediately.
    >
    > So, do any of have suggestions for PalmPilot programs for jotting down
    > musical ideas? It wouldn't have to be particularly fancy, just
    > something that lets me use the stylus to place notes on a staff, that
    > would be fine. If it can generate a MIDI file, or otherwise easily
    > transfer to Sibelius, that would be nice too.

    Here are three choices just to get you started. Searching on two or
    more of those along with "palm os" will probably turn up a few others.

    Found at :
    MiniMusic NotePad

    Found at
    EbonyIvory

    Found at Tucows.com:
    PocketSynth:

  3. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    Mark R. Blain wrote:

    > Here are three choices just to get you started. Searching on two or
    > more of those along with "palm os" will probably turn up a few others.

    Thanks for the suggestions! So then, have you personally used any of
    these?

    --

    (Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
    will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
    buried in spam.)

  4. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    "Gary Morrison" wrote in message
    > As with many composers (and musicians in general), occasionally
    > interesting melodies or harmonic ideas pop into mind out of the blue. When
    > that happens, it would be nice to be able to write them down immediately.
    >
    > So, do any of have suggestions for PalmPilot programs for jotting down
    > musical ideas? It wouldn't have to be particularly fancy, just something
    > that lets me use the stylus to place notes on a staff, that would be fine.
    > If it can generate a MIDI file, or otherwise easily transfer to Sibelius,
    > that would be nice too.

    Gary, we were just discussing this recently. The new writing tablet PCs that
    are coming out would make this available. I checked out the "windows"
    version (sold by Dell or Gateway IIRC) and there was a music "composition"
    program - apparently a handwriting recognition thing for this PC. I didn't
    delve into further details though. Some people have been using writing
    tablets (Wacom) for a long time it seems, and you can use these with a
    regular PC - I'm assuming Wacom has made them handheld compatible.

    I can't recall if the one I mentioned above creates MIDI files, but I would
    bet it's some proprietary piece of software for the Tablet, and if it did
    generate MIDI, I doubt that it would export to any other notation program
    except as MIDI. Maybe I'm wrong though. But, we're getting close - another
    couple of years and someone will write the code and the program (for those
    of us that would like to ditch F and S).

    Best,
    Steve

  5. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    "Mark R. Blain" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:57:58 GMT, Gary Morrison wrote:
    >
    >> As with many composers (and musicians in general), occasionally
    >> interesting melodies or harmonic ideas pop into mind out of the blue.
    >> When that happens, it would be nice to be able to write them down
    >> immediately.
    >>
    >> So, do any of have suggestions for PalmPilot programs for jotting down
    >> musical ideas? It wouldn't have to be particularly fancy, just
    >> something that lets me use the stylus to place notes on a staff, that
    >> would be fine. If it can generate a MIDI file, or otherwise easily
    >> transfer to Sibelius, that would be nice too.

    > Here are three choices just to get you started. Searching on two or
    > more of those along with "palm os" will probably turn up a few others.
    >
    > Found at :
    > MiniMusic NotePad
    >

    > Found at
    > EbonyIvory
    >

    > Found at Tucows.com:
    > PocketSynth:

    Wow, thanks Mark - this is what I was looking for before - I'm sure it will
    help Gary too.
    The Notepad looks like it might be what he needs.

    Now If I an just get a screen that's 8.5 by 11, I'll be happy!

    Thanks again,
    Steve

  6. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:15:34 GMT, Gary Morrison wrote:

    > Mark R. Blain wrote:
    >
    >> Here are three choices just to get you started. Searching on two or
    >> more of those along with "palm os" will probably turn up a few others.

    > Thanks for the suggestions! So then, have you personally used any of
    > these?

    Nope. I don't write music myself so those aren't recommendations,
    just suggestions as you said.

  7. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    Mark R. Blain wrote:

    > Nope. I don't write music myself so those aren't recommendations,
    > just suggestions as you said.

    OK, thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying out NotePad now; it may work.

    --

    (Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
    will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
    buried in spam.)

  8. Re: PalmPilot Programs for Jotting Down Musical Ideas?

    Steve Latham wrote:

    > Now If I an just get a screen that's 8.5 by 11, I'll be happy!

    Thanks for the thoughts, Mr. Latham. In my particular case, however,
    I'm not looking for a composition tool as much as just a quicky place to
    jot down musical inspirations that hit me out of the blue.

    --

    (Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
    will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
    buried in spam.)

+ Reply to Thread