PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux - Palmtop ; Hello there, I've been following the interesting thread about why/and why not/ PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux. But I am not interested in phones. I am planning (but now I have to say that may be I was ...) to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    Hello there,

    I've been following the interesting thread about why/and why not/ PalmOS,
    Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux.

    But I am not interested in phones. I am planning (but now I have to say that
    may be I was ...) to buy a Palm Lifedrive unit. Along the thread it's said
    that PalmOS is dead, but it seems to me that some hope it's given to it. Can
    you explain why do you think that PalmOS is dead an how can we give some
    hope to it?

    I read about the PalmOs gearing efforts towards Linux; to me it seams a good
    way to reduce the OS development costs, and, plus, having a reliable
    platform. Thus, from my newby point of view, it should assure a more focused
    effort towards developing usefull features. From what I know, PalmOS still
    owns the biggest part of PDA OSs.

    Thanks,
    Omar.-

    ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1130615169.939411.21610@g43g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >I have a couple questions for the group.
    >
    > 1) What are the pros and cons of each of these operating systems?
    >
    > 2) Which of these PDA/Smartphone operating systems is the most likely
    > to be the dominant player in the portable computing market 3 years from
    > now and why?
    >
    > -Jonathan

  2. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    On 29 Oct 2005 12:46:09 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca wrote:

    >I have a couple questions for the group.
    >
    >1) What are the pros and cons of each of these operating systems?
    >
    >2) Which of these PDA/Smartphone operating systems is the most likely
    >to be the dominant player in the portable computing market 3 years from
    >now and why?

    The biggest threat to Palm and its future as an OS, in my opinion, is
    the fact that an increasing number of devices that use it, such as the
    Treo smartphones, are just plain crap when it comes to quality.

    I just converted to a Blackberry after having 2 Treo 600 handhelds go
    dead on me within a year. I love the functionality of the Palm OS, and
    the Blackberry's not as slick as I'd like it to me, but at the end of
    the day, if a device is not reliable, what good is its functionality?

  3. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    > On 29 Oct 2005 12:46:09 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca wrote:
    >
    >>I have a couple questions for the group.
    >>
    >>1) What are the pros and cons of each of these operating systems?
    >>
    >>2) Which of these PDA/Smartphone operating systems is the most likely
    >>to be the dominant player in the portable computing market 3 years from
    >>now and why?

    > The biggest threat to Palm and its future as an OS, in my opinion, is
    > the fact that an increasing number of devices that use it, such as the
    > Treo smartphones, are just plain crap when it comes to quality.
    >
    > I just converted to a Blackberry after having 2 Treo 600 handhelds
    > go dead on me within a year. I love the functionality of the Palm
    > OS, and the Blackberry's not as slick as I'd like it to me, but at
    > the end of the day, if a device is not reliable, what good is its
    > functionality?

    Hmm. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

    I bought my last phone based purely on considerations of battery life;
    it came with a spare cell, and had a pretty long life battery to begin
    with. It's not that I kill off battery quick; it's that the batteries
    just tend to tail off and die, even under a pretty *low* usage
    pattern.

    (My mother has a cell phone that she almost *never* uses; if often
    hasn't worked when she wanted it to because she doesn't regularly
    charge it.)

    I would certainly get pretty exorcised if I paid the huge bucks for a
    Treo phone and then watched it go dead in a year.

    We use Blackberries for oncall stuff at work; one thing that *really*
    pleases me about the model we have is that the batteries are generic
    and we can buy replacements for about $30, eminently reasonable for a
    cell battery.

    Nothing Palm offers today compares to that, simply evaluating based on
    battery handling. Forget about whether or not the Treo's are
    more/less robust; that's a separate issue.

    Actually, I get the sense that Apple has a *most* fascinating take on
    things with the iPod that may be a potent step forward.

    - You can take iCal calendar files (in a "standard" vCal format) and
    shove them in an iPod directory, and it'll turn that into an
    on-the-iPod calendar.

    - You shove pictures into a directory, and it'll display 'em.

    - You shove vCard address information into a directory and there's a
    local phonebook.

    - Shove text documents in the "Notes" directory, and you can read
    documents

    - And of course, it plays MP3s ;-).

    As far as "conversion/SYNCing" user interface is concerned, that's as
    simple a scheme as I can imagine. It's not two-way, but updating
    information on PDAs always sucked pretty bad. (And I say that as
    someone who has used Graffiti with reasonable success since the Palm
    1000.)

    The iPod approach to these "PDA" features would have the possibility
    of getting us out of the horrid interface lock-in that PDAs and cell
    phones alike have so often suffered from.

    A phone that lets you plug in SD cards with iPod style directories of
    data would be most sweet. A sort of shocking form of simplicity...
    --
    (reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/

  4. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    RobR wrote:
    > I avoided chiming in because I wasn't sure how closely related WM
    > still is to CE ....

    Is there something unclear in this? Windows Mobile is just a brand name
    which means a device based on Windows CE operating system and Pocket PC or
    Smartphone user interface (UI) that has to match different kinds of hardware
    and software requirements.

    Pocket PC and Smartphone 2003 ("Windows Mobile 2003") are based on Windows
    CE 4.2.x and Pocket PC / Smartphone 5.0 ("Windows Mobile 5.0") are based on
    Windows CE 5.0.

    The difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile is that there are also
    other kinds of embedded Windows CE devices than Windows Mobile specified
    devices.

    A nice tour to different kinds of embedded Windows CE devices is available
    at MSDN Channel 9 archives:

    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.as...ID=10924#10924

    Or even this is a Windows CE device: http://www.14mz.com/

    --
    Tero Lehto
    http://lehto.net/tero/

  5. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    Sander van der Wal wrote:
    > Symbian. Phone manufactures like Nokia, SonyEricsson et al don't
    > intend to be commoditized by the OS vendor in the same way Microsoft
    > commoditized the PC market.

    Do hardware manufacturers actually have the power to choose this? If large
    operators like O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone want Linux or Windows Mobile
    devices, I bet there are manufacturers who are willing to offer them.

    At the moment it seems Symbian has been the most powerful in the consumer
    smartphone segment when it comes to tempting applications and services.

    --
    Tero Lehto
    http://lehto.net/tero/

  6. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    >> I avoided chiming in because I wasn't sure how closely related WM
    >> still is to CE ....

    >Is there something unclear in this?

    Apparently so, a quick scan of the newsgroups indicates that's close to the
    #1 most frequently asked question. (E.g what's the difference between
    Windows Mobile/Pocket PC/Smartphone and Windows CE. Sometimes it's phrased
    differently but there's a lot of confusion as the branding for Windows
    Mobile makes little or no mention of Windows CE as the core.)

    --
    Steve Maillet
    EmbeddedFusion

  7. Re: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux

    "Sander van der Wal" wrote in message
    news:43660ded$0$11051$e4fe514c@dreader11.news.xs4a ll.nl...

    > wrote in message
    > news:1130615169.939411.21610@g43g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >>I have a couple questions for the group.

    >> 2) Which of these PDA/Smartphone operating systems is the most likely
    >> to be the dominant player in the portable computing market 3 years from
    >> now and why?

    > Symbian. Phone manufactures like Nokia, SonyEricsson et al don't intend to
    > be commoditized by the OS vendor in the same way Microsoft commoditized
    > the
    > PC market.

    I wouldn't bet my company on it. Microsoft has an annoying tendency to keep
    plugging away at a market, coupled with an almost unlimited basket of cash.

    Also, the US handset market is a captive of the carriers. A
    Microsoft<->Cingular or Microsoft <->VerizonWireless alliance could catapult
    a 2nd or 3rd tier handset maker into a large position.

    Also, as more people start running apps on handhelds, and developing small
    line-of-business (custom) apps, the development platform and tools will have
    an influence.

    Don't get me wrong - I carry a Symbian handset, and it's better than the
    other smartphone offerings. But, I wouldn't place a large bet against
    Microsoft.

    Jim Burks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2