New Palm models - Palmtop

This is a discussion on New Palm models - Palmtop ; http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pa..._Z22?site=Palm Pretty ho-hum, IMO. -- Charles C. Shyu http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html...

  1. New Palm models

  2. Re: New Palm models

    Charles C. Shyu wrote:
    > Pretty ho-hum, IMO.

    I can't disagree.

    Palm needs to shake up it's ideas a bit & get something 'killer' out
    there.

    640*480 colour; wifi/bluetooth/drivemode,; USB master mode for
    cameras,discs etc; 4 day battery life; cf2 slot with phone,gps,dvb-t
    tuner,dab tuner modules in the box; voice input; scanner/ocr app for
    the camera; smartcard/thumbprint/retina mode;

    Long battery life & high utility seem to be important.

  3. Re: New Palm models

    On 13 Oct 2005 00:08:24 -0700, robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:

    >Charles C. Shyu wrote:
    >> Pretty ho-hum, IMO.

    >I can't disagree.
    >
    >Palm needs to shake up it's ideas a bit & get something 'killer' out
    >there.
    >
    >640*480 colour; wifi/bluetooth/drivemode,; USB master mode for
    >cameras,discs etc; 4 day battery life; cf2 slot with phone,gps,dvb-t
    >tuner,dab tuner modules in the box; voice input; scanner/ocr app for
    >the camera; smartcard/thumbprint/retina mode;
    >
    >Long battery life & high utility seem to be important.

    640x480 screen and 4 day battery life?

    Does that unit also come with a backpack to carry it in?

  4. Re: New Palm models

    John wrote:

    >> 640*480 colour; wifi/bluetooth/drivemode,; USB master mode for
    >> cameras,discs etc; 4 day battery life; cf2 slot with phone,gps,dvb-t
    >> tuner,dab tuner modules in the box; voice input; scanner/ocr app for
    >> the camera; smartcard/thumbprint/retina mode;
    >>
    >> Long battery life & high utility seem to be important.

    > 640x480 screen and 4 day battery life?
    >
    > Does that unit also come with a backpack to carry it in?

    The largest capacity internal battery you can purchase for a Tungsten
    T/T2 device is 3.7v 3500 mAh. That will give you 12-14 hours of use,
    based on the assumption that the default 3.7v 900 mAh battery will give
    you 3.5 hours of use at 40% screen brightness, using just the default
    apps. I assume that more recent devices are better at managing battery
    consumption.

    The LifeDrive uses a 3.7v 1660 mAh battery and is capable of around 4
    hours of use, playing video with brightness at 66%. This advance is most
    probably due to it not using the battery for maintaining user data in
    memory.

    Ooh. Mugen has a 5000 mAh PDA battery. Only for a particular model of
    iPAQ, though. I could conceive of an external battery sled for a Palm
    device built around a battery like this, which could give you very close
    to 24 hours of battery life on a T2, without internal modification.

    http://etxquc.simplyonline.com/itemd...ex=11&item=339

  5. Re: New Palm models

    wrote in message
    news:1129187304.341292.207000@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Charles C. Shyu wrote:
    >> Pretty ho-hum, IMO.

    > I can't disagree.
    >
    > Palm needs to shake up it's ideas a bit & get something 'killer' out
    > there.
    >
    > 640*480 colour; wifi/bluetooth/drivemode,; USB master mode for
    > cameras,discs etc; 4 day battery life; cf2 slot with phone,gps,dvb-t
    > tuner,dab tuner modules in the box; voice input; scanner/ocr app for
    > the camera; smartcard/thumbprint/retina mode;
    >
    > Long battery life & high utility seem to be important.

    I disagree. Long battery life, yes, but all the built-in utility you
    describe? Not no, but hell no. If you want a general purpose computer buy a
    computer. I think the T|X is a good machine. It adds WiFi which is something
    lots of Palm users have asked for. It doesn't have the slider which is
    something many people didn't like about the original T series Palms. I don't
    know what the battery capacity is but in general this is something that Palm
    can always improve upon.

    TC

  6. Re: New Palm models

    "Tony Clark" wrote in message news:_504f.1461$4O1.441@newsread2.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

    > wrote in message news:1129187304.341292.207000@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Charles C. Shyu wrote:
    >>> Pretty ho-hum, IMO.

    >> I can't disagree.
    >>
    >> Palm needs to shake up it's ideas a bit & get something 'killer' out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> 640*480 colour; wifi/bluetooth/drivemode,; USB master mode for
    >> cameras,discs etc; 4 day battery life; cf2 slot with phone,gps,dvb-t
    >> tuner,dab tuner modules in the box; voice input; scanner/ocr app for
    >> the camera; smartcard/thumbprint/retina mode;
    >>
    >> Long battery life & high utility seem to be important.
    >>

    > I disagree. Long battery life, yes, but all the built-in utility you describe? Not no, but hell no. If you want a general purpose
    > computer buy a computer. I think the T|X is a good machine. It adds WiFi which is something lots of Palm users have asked for.

    Do not you see it is pathetic imitation of Sony CLIE TH55 ?
    What these people were doing for the past 3 years aside starring a window all day ?

    > It doesn't have the slider which is something many people didn't like about the original T series Palms. I don't know what the
    > battery capacity is but in general this is something that Palm can always improve upon.

    Year right - in next 3 years ... maybe

  7. Re: New Palm models

    In article news:, John wrote:
    > 640x480 screen and 4 day battery life?
    >
    > Does that unit also come with a backpack to carry it in?

    Unnecessary. You could do it with a monochrome display ... but only if you
    used *really* small batteries!

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  8. Re: New Palm models

    "MXW" wrote in message

    SNIP

    >> I disagree. Long battery life, yes, but all the built-in utility you
    >> describe? Not no, but hell no. If you want a general purpose computer buy
    >> a computer. I think the T|X is a good machine. It adds WiFi which is
    >> something lots of Palm users have asked for.

    > Do not you see it is pathetic imitation of Sony CLIE TH55 ?
    > What these people were doing for the past 3 years aside starring a window
    > all day ?

    I don't know about the Sony but what I do see is this is a machine that many
    people have been asking for. I agree that it's been a couple of years in
    coming. My question to you is what does does the T|X lack? I know alot of
    people want multi-tasking and I can see some use for that. What I don't see
    any use for is trying to turn a PDA into a mini-computer which seems to be
    what alot of people want.

    >> It doesn't have the slider which is something many people didn't like
    >> about the original T series Palms. I don't know what the battery capacity
    >> is but in general this is something that Palm can always improve upon.

    > Year right - in next 3 years ... maybe

    Other than replaceable batteries I don't see any other PDAs that fare much
    better than Palms. Color screens, WiFi, Bluetooth and fast processors are
    all power drains. If you want longer battery life then you'll need bigger
    batteries and that will mean fatter PDAs.

    TC

  9. Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: Re: New Palm models

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:28:37 GMT, Daniel James
    wrote:

    >In article news:, John wrote:
    >> 640x480 screen and 4 day battery life?
    >>
    >> Does that unit also come with a backpack to carry it in?

    >Unnecessary. You could do it with a monochrome display ... but only if you
    >used *really* small batteries!
    >
    >Cheers,
    > Daniel.

    No Need for really small batteries - obtain a flat cell or cells as close as
    possible, but smaller than the Palm you are using - Find/build a small case
    about the size of your Palm. Add safety features to the package to prevent
    overcharging of the batteries by the standard Palm charger *and* to prevent
    excess voltage getting to the Palm with a couple of tiny chips. Install under
    the Palm in one of those generic cases for models slightly thicker/thinner with
    elastic, connect to Palm with a power connector allowing charging of internal or
    external pack (I wouldn't want to subject their transformers to *both*) and you
    are on your way.

    This is not rocket engineering, folks

    Unfortunately Palm WONT give us every (other?) PDA designer's devices with
    removable/swappable battery packs that you get raped for cash-wise, but won't
    violate warantee if you're caught.

    Trucker Al.

    Note: Desperately looking for schematics and i/o pin diagrams for my deceased
    Zire-71 (I think, 1st blue thing with a camera) and my current E-2 Mistake
    Purchase (2 cords? No USB charging?) Looking to build multi-SD card station and
    direct USB I/O for the E-2 and reuse parts still working of the Zire - only
    thing that failed was either the stylus sensor or sensor reader (one critical
    location read stylus HERE every cycle, making even startup impossible). Guts
    should help me improve my microsurgery technique.

  10. Re: Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: Re: New Palm models

    "TruckerAl" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:28:37 GMT, Daniel James
    >
    > wrote:

    SNIP

    > No Need for really small batteries - obtain a flat cell or cells as close
    > as
    > possible, but smaller than the Palm you are using - Find/build a small
    > case
    > about the size of your Palm. Add safety features to the package to prevent
    > overcharging of the batteries by the standard Palm charger *and* to
    > prevent
    > excess voltage getting to the Palm with a couple of tiny chips. Install
    > under
    > the Palm in one of those generic cases for models slightly thicker/thinner
    > with
    > elastic, connect to Palm with a power connector allowing charging of
    > internal or
    > external pack (I wouldn't want to subject their transformers to *both*)
    > and you
    > are on your way.
    >
    > This is not rocket engineering, folks

    Palm did have a battery sled at one time but discontinued it. I am guessing
    because it used the old connector that none of the newer Palms use now. I
    wouldn't mind using an external battery pack if it worked like the old
    sleds.

    TC

  11. Re: Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: Re: New Palmmodels

    Tony Clark wrote:

    > Palm did have a battery sled at one time but discontinued it. I am guessing
    > because it used the old connector that none of the newer Palms use now. I
    > wouldn't mind using an external battery pack if it worked like the old
    > sleds.

    What are the "newer Palms?"

    (My Zire 71 works with Palm's sled (aka "PowerToGo").

    Are there *newer* connectors?

    Notan

  12. Re: New Palm models

    In article ,
    curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com says...

    >Other than replaceable batteries I don't see any other PDAs that fare much
    >better than Palms. Color screens, WiFi, Bluetooth and fast processors are
    >all power drains. If you want longer battery life then you'll need bigger
    >batteries and that will mean fatter PDAs.
    >
    >TC

    Why not replaceable batteries? They worked great in the old Palm III and went
    for months before having to be replaced. The Palm then could be taken to Outer
    Mongolia without worrying about charging.

    Are those who use the Palm purely for storage of data and a few calculation
    programs and who do not care about color, WiFI, cameras, MP3 players etc. in a
    minority?

    To me there is a corollary with the "elderphone" the "new revolutionary cell
    phone" which will only - make phone calls! Why? Because a siginificant portion
    of the population does not want to play games, take pictures and watch TV on
    their cell phones.

    Sometimes technology is designer- and manufacturer-driven. Features are
    included just because they can be included, not because they are necessarily
    useful. Also pricing and marketing has something to do with it I am sure.

    Just because it is new and shiny does not mean that it is necessarily better.

    Mike Koblic,
    Campbell River, BC

  13. Re: Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: New Palm models

    In article news:, TruckerAl
    wrote:
    > No Need for really small batteries ...

    I think you missed the point I was ironically trying to make ... which was
    that if the Palm devices still used mono displays they'd run for much
    longer than the 4 days stipulated with the batteries Palm currently fit, so
    Palm would have to redesign the devices to use really small batteries to
    keep the battery life that short.

    Oh, well. I thought it was funny at the time.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  14. Re: Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: Re: NewPalm models

    TruckerAl wrote:

    > Zire-71 (I think, 1st blue thing with a camera) and my current E-2 Mistake
    > Purchase (2 cords? No USB charging?)

    I think TE2 charges through the USB like TE did. Only it doesn't display
    the "thunderbolt" icon over the battery icon when charging. But it does
    charge. Try it yourself, remember how much juice it has in the battery,
    then plug it in USB , turn it off and leave it for a half an hour or
    more. Then check the battery icon.

    --
    Remove "/\" from e-mail address to correct it!

  15. Re: Aixilliary batteries, small, cheap, easy, small) was: Re: New Palm models

    "Notan" wrote in message
    SNIP

    > What are the "newer Palms?"
    >
    > (My Zire 71 works with Palm's sled (aka "PowerToGo").
    >
    > Are there *newer* connectors?
    >
    > Notan

    Yes the T5, Zire 72 and LifeDrive do not use the old Palm Universal
    Connector anymore. They use a mini-USB connector.

    TC

  16. Re: New Palm models

    "Michael Koblic" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com says...
    >>

    >>Other than replaceable batteries I don't see any other PDAs that fare much
    >>better than Palms. Color screens, WiFi, Bluetooth and fast processors are
    >>all power drains. If you want longer battery life then you'll need bigger
    >>batteries and that will mean fatter PDAs.
    >>
    >>TC
    >>

    > Why not replaceable batteries? They worked great in the old Palm III and
    > went
    > for months before having to be replaced. The Palm then could be taken to
    > Outer
    > Mongolia without worrying about charging.

    I think the issue is maintaining the data in memory when changing the
    replaceable batteries. In order to do so you need either a small battery or
    a large capacitor to hold a charge on the memory while the battery is being
    changed. The problem comes when you either don't change the battery fast
    enough or when you let the batteries run down completely and don't change
    them for some time. Even so, I still wish they would use user replaceable
    batteries.

    > Are those who use the Palm purely for storage of data and a few
    > calculation
    > programs and who do not care about color, WiFI, cameras, MP3 players etc.
    > in a
    > minority?

    SNIP

    I don't think they are in the minority but some people do want to minimize
    the number of gadgets (and therefore the number of wall chargers) you have
    to carry around. I am not big on the camera functionality but being able to
    read ebooks on my Palm is great. I mostly use my Palm in leiu of carrying a
    Day-Timer and I do like the color screen for that. Longer battery life would
    be good too and I'd even tolerate a larger PDA to get longer life.

    TC

  17. Re: New Palm models

    "Tony Clark" wrote:

    >"Michael Koblic" wrote in message

    >> Why not replaceable batteries?

    >I think the issue is maintaining the data in memory when changing the
    >replaceable batteries. In order to do so you need either a small battery or
    >a large capacitor to hold a charge on the memory while the battery is being
    >changed.

    That's not a problem anymore as all the new Palm models use flash memory and
    advertise that you can let the battery go dead with no loss of data. So a
    replaceable battery should not be a problem. Course carrying an extra battery
    around would be a pain. I vote for more battery life and perhaps the new
    emerging screen technology will give it to us shortly...hope hope.

  18. Re: New Palm models

    In article news:, Tony
    Clark wrote:
    > I think the issue is maintaining the data in memory when changing the
    > replaceable batteries. In order to do so you need either a small battery or
    > a large capacitor to hold a charge on the memory while the battery is being
    > changed.

    I think you're right that that has traditionally been the problem ... but
    with the T|T5, T|E2, T|X and LD using Flash memory or hard disk for
    persistent storage there is no excuse for not making the battery
    user-replaceable in those models.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  19. Re: New Palm models

    > I think the issue is maintaining the data in memory when changing the
    > replaceable batteries. In order to do so you need either a small battery or
    > a large capacitor to hold a charge on the memory while the battery is being
    > changed. The problem comes when you either don't change the battery fast
    > enough or when you let the batteries run down completely and don't change
    > them for some time. Even so, I still wish they would use user replaceable
    > batteries.

    Goodness, Psion did this in the Psion Series 3 years ago (>8). All the
    later Psions had a small watch battery to keep memory when the main
    battery was dead or being replaced. Anyhow the NVFS based Palm's don't
    really care about having no power for a while.

  20. Re: New Palm models

    In article news:, Keef wrote:
    > Goodness, Psion did this in the Psion Series 3 years ago (>8).

    Quite a few >8, in fact. I got my Psion 3 in 1991.

    > All the later Psions had a small watch battery to keep memory when the
    > main battery was dead or being replaced.

    The early Palm models that used disposable AAA cells used a capacitor to
    keep RAM powered while batteries were replaced. This has the advantage that
    there is no second battery to have to remember to replace, but the
    disadvantage that the capacitor may not hold much charge (especially if the
    main batteries are nearing depletion) while the "silver aspirin" in the
    Psion could keep the thing alive for weeks after the main batteries had
    died (as long as it were not in need of replacement itself).

    > Anyhow the NVFS based Palm's don't really care about having no power
    > for a while.

    That's very true. Not providing user-replaceable batteries in the NVFS
    palms is an almost unforgivable oversight.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread