Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop? - Palmtop ; I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because they run a ...

  1. Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
    virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The
    HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because
    they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain
    industries. Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few
    that still use the HP DOS machines. I've thought about selling and
    moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.

    If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend? I may
    have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes
    daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts. I've
    thought about the Dell PocketPC's. Another major drag about doing this,
    is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.

    PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its
    Word files in this format. How about .pxl?

    It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
    handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.

    The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    Thanks for any help.

    John

  2. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    In article , Bible
    John says...
    > I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
    > virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The
    > HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because
    > they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain
    > industries. Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few
    > that still use the HP DOS machines. I've thought about selling and
    > moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.
    >
    > If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend? I may
    > have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes
    > daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts. I've
    > thought about the Dell PocketPC's. Another major drag about doing this,
    > is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.
    >
    > PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its
    > Word files in this format. How about .pxl?
    >
    > It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    > if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    > DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    > that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    > old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
    > handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
    >
    > The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    > more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    Tried asking god?
    --
    Michael

  3. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    John, there is a lot of software for the HP 200LX DOS machine,
    including Outlook Synchronization. See http://www.hp200lx.org/

    Bible John wrote:

    >I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
    >virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The
    >HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because
    >they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain
    >industries. Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few
    >that still use the HP DOS machines. I've thought about selling and
    >moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.
    >
    >If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend? I may
    >have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes
    >daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts. I've
    >thought about the Dell PocketPC's. Another major drag about doing this,
    >is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.
    >
    >PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its
    >Word files in this format. How about .pxl?
    >
    >It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    >if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    >DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    >that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    >old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
    >handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
    >
    >The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    >more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
    >

    >Thanks for any help.
    >

    >John

    Thanks
    Juan I. Cahis
    Santiago de Chile (South America)
    Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

  4. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    Bible John wrote:

    Some years ago I was an avid HPLX user. Recently I again bought a used
    HP200lx on ebay for pretty much the same reasons as you list.

    After having used it for some months (again) I must say that there are a
    lot of features in the HP200lx that seems to have been forgotten in most
    newer pda's and hpc's (the great keyboard and standard batteres are just
    some of the most important examples).

    I use an128 Mb Sanddisk cfcard and a cfcard-pcmcia as disk. Only
    drawback is some seconds waiting the first time you browse a directory
    after powering the HPLX. When I want to move data I simply put the card
    into my standard cf-card reader and move the files around.

    I mostly use standard DOS apps. I almost never use the built-in apps
    other than the lotus123 which fileformat works fine with excel among
    other newer apps. For the editor which is nice when wanting a low
    resolution (big letters) I sometimes use an rtf converter.

    For text editing I also have a stripped down version of WordPerfect 5.1.
    I even do a little programming using Turbo C 2.0, which is available for
    free at borland.com. For browsing I use Norton Commander.

    I have written a DOS (and linux and osx) program that handles Garmin GPS
    synchronization for the newer etrex and gps60 series among other. This
    is one of my main tasks aside from writing text when on the move.

    I have managed to get GPRS working including pop3 mail, ftp and irc,
    but I am having some nasty DNS problems with some applications though.

    Well these are my experiences. There a problably a lot of different
    opinions on this matter. I would go for a palm for everyday calendar use
    and a hp100/200lx for most other things (including travelling and
    backpacking).

    KJ
    --
    http://www.cetusgps.dk
    http://www.oz1sun.dk

  5. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700, Bible John
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    >if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    >DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    >that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    >old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
    >handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
    >
    >The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    >more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    Well, as a user of the 200LX (and a Palm T|C) I would claim
    that the 200LX and its older siblings are far closer to a
    "real" computer than any of the Palm or PocketPC systems.
    You don't need to know much about DOS to use the 200LX
    effectively, and knowledge of DOS 6.22 almost as good as DOD
    5.x. There are at least two Web browsers that run on the
    200LX, but you are limited by the B&W screen and the lack of
    enough CPU power and RAM to support secure web pages. There
    are wired Ethernet cards and drivers that work very well
    with the 200LX, but you are correct that there is no WiFi
    solution. All the available WiFi cards draw too much power
    and none have DOS drivers. So, if you define a "real
    computer" as one that can surf the web using WiFi, then the
    200LX is not for you.

    However, if you define a "real computer" as one that can be
    used as your primary computer instead of as an accessory to
    your desktop, then the 200LX wins. Or, if you define a "real
    computer" as one that can have applications installed
    directly on it instead of first on the "host" machine and
    then transferred to the "accessory" machine, then the 200LX
    wins. Or if you define a "real computer" as one that you can
    use as the platform to develop applications that run on that
    computer, then the 200LX wins.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  6. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    wrote:

    >I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
    >virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT.

    I made the big mistake years ago by getting an hp680. I coimpounded
    that mstake by getting various PPC devices.

    Fortunetly I kept my hp200lx and am now back using it. Newer is not
    always better.

    The 680, 720, the hp 548, hp568, etc. they are nice toys but their
    not ready for prime time. When I bought them I spent tons of moeny
    to become a beta tester for platforms/devices/ where TPTB had
    no intention of ever fixing the bugs or developing an even passable
    device for users.

    The other complaint I have is the faulty aderstising of the mfg.
    The HPC device makers should have been forced to label their
    products in large letters that the users have flown the coop on this
    device. The PPC device makers should have been forced to
    label their products in large letters that e-books will never
    be viable on the PPC, that syncing is a very iffy proposition,

    >PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its
    >Word files in this format. How about .pxl?

    When you save in Word on the desktop there is a format for pocket pc
    files and a seperate format for handheld pc files.

    >It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    >if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    >DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    >that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    >old DOS.

    Wong. I have mine set up to sync from the desktop to the hp200lx.
    Been doing it for years.

    >The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    >more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    I don't do wifi but then I don't want my neighbors downloading porn
    on my wifi dime.

  7. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    Victor Roberts wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700, Bible John
    > wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >>It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
    >>if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the
    >>DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
    >>that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
    >>old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
    >>handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
    >>
    >>The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    >>more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    > Well, as a user of the 200LX (and a Palm T|C) I would claim
    > that the 200LX and its older siblings are far closer to a
    > "real" computer than any of the Palm or PocketPC systems.
    > You don't need to know much about DOS to use the 200LX
    > effectively, and knowledge of DOS 6.22 almost as good as DOD
    > 5.x. There are at least two Web browsers that run on the
    > 200LX, but you are limited by the B&W screen and the lack of
    > enough CPU power and RAM to support secure web pages. There
    > are wired Ethernet cards and drivers that work very well
    > with the 200LX, but you are correct that there is no WiFi
    > solution. All the available WiFi cards draw too much power
    > and none have DOS drivers. So, if you define a "real
    > computer" as one that can surf the web using WiFi, then the
    > 200LX is not for you.
    >
    > However, if you define a "real computer" as one that can be
    > used as your primary computer instead of as an accessory to
    > your desktop, then the 200LX wins. Or, if you define a "real
    > computer" as one that can have applications installed
    > directly on it instead of first on the "host" machine and
    > then transferred to the "accessory" machine, then the 200LX
    > wins. Or if you define a "real computer" as one that you can
    > use as the platform to develop applications that run on that
    > computer, then the 200LX wins.
    >
    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

    Just for funsies ... a thought or 3:

    If you want to check "real" computing on a HPC, try a NEC MobilePro
    780/790/800/880 (ok - BIG hands ;-) with NetBSD (hpcmips port).
    Full-fledged unix with many packages in the ports collection, including
    compilers, and many of the "standard" unix utilities along with the
    built-in abilities of csh or ksh (if you know what those are, then you
    are "qualified" ;-) .

    Several wired and Wifi cards are supported, and work well in text mode
    with links or eilinks (forget which now, or if both). They work with a
    full TCP/IP stack, and many commandline network apps like ftp, ssh,
    telnet, etc.

    X windows and many X apps work ok, although the lmiited screen size gets
    to be constraining - no really good GUI browsers work suitably in that
    space, altho a port of Firefox/Mozilla called Minimo is supposed to be a
    big improvement - I'm keeping an eye on ebay for a reasonable 800 or 880
    - hardware specs seem to be about the same, so I don't care about the
    WinCE version in the ROM - to see if the 800x600 screen makes it more
    fun. Still, several xterms with about a 6x10 font do give you a number
    of simultaneous commandline windows to work in and watch side by side. I
    don't want to think how all that would look on the much smaller Jornada
    7xx screens, though. Same pixel count, but a lot smaller - maybe that's
    why there is no "official" NetBSD X server for the Jornadas, although I
    believe a few tenacious hackers (in the good sense) have made some
    "hacks" at it...

    Another downside is that so far the NetBSD developers have not cracked
    the code for the power management, so you have to keep it plugged in
    even after hitting the power button seems to turn it off - more like a
    standby mode.

    That being said, and despite all that "handheld" computing power lust, I
    still find a Palm to be quite useful just for its focused PIM functions,
    and carry one with me all the time for that purpose. Heck of a lot
    easier to enter/read address and date book info than my cell phone
    (screen/pixel/character counts too small, and all that multi-press
    button text entry vs basic Graffiti - no contest) or a PC (too big). The
    fanciest non-PIM stuff I do with it is take pix (Zire 71) for visual
    "memos" or really candid throwaway shots.

    I want at least 800x600 and a keyboard for anything like serious
    Internet'ing.

    FWIW,
    ROC

  8. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    In article , ROC
    wrote:

    > That being said, and despite all that "handheld" computing power lust, I
    > still find a Palm to be quite useful just for its focused PIM functions,
    > and carry one with me all the time for that purpose.

    So do I

    Heck of a lot
    > easier to enter/read address and date book info than my cell phone
    > (screen/pixel/character counts too small, and all that multi-press
    > button text entry vs basic Graffiti - no contest) or a PC (too big).
    > The fanciest non-PIM stuff I do with it is take pix (Zire 71) for visual
    > "memos" or really candid throwaway shots.

    Bye the way how long does your Zire 72 battery last? I have to recharge
    mine like once every other day. Battery life sucks.

    > I want at least 800x600 and a keyboard for anything like serious
    > Internet'ing.

    Hmm

    --
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  9. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    In article <#EDLb$wuFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    "Kenny Anderson" wrote:

    > SoftMaker products save in native MS Office formats and are available for
    > HPC, PPC, Windows and Linux. In addition, their products are more
    > compatible with MS Office than Microsoft's own PocketOffice versions. You
    > may still lose some functionality over your desktop office suite, but not as
    > much as with the HPC or PPC versions of MS products.

    Yes and they are also a ton slower to open on my Jornada 720, and take
    up a ton more disk space. And believe me that 32MB's of RAM is not
    enough on a Jornada 720. For my usage, Pocket office works just fine.
    Yes I do have TextMaker and PlanMaker for backups.

    John

    --
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
    2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
    season and out of season; correct, rebuke
    and encourage ‹ with great patience and
    careful instruction.
    AIM-Crucifyself03

  10. TO Jason Donahue:Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    In article ,

    > Yes, it can - I routinely transfer documents in .pxl and .pwd format between
    > my HPC/HPC Pro devices, and my Pocket PC.

    Thanks for this.

    > Since I picked up SpreadCE many moons ago for my 360LX, I also transfer
    > spreadsheets in Excel 97 format, which is handy since, working for a law
    > firm, my work machines all have WordPerfect Office installed. More often
    > than not, I work in RTF for documents and Excel 97 for spreadsheets, since
    > the former is pretty much universal, and the latter is now readable by all
    > my CE-based devices (HP 360LX, NEC MP 880, Audiovox 6600 PPC phone), and my
    > work machines (WordPerfect Office 11, which includes QuatroPro).

    I also use Office97 on my 98 laptop. It works just fine, and in some
    ways better than Office XP. 360LX? Thats a slow bugger. Why haven't
    you upgraded to the Jornada 720? The only advantages I see in keeping a
    360LX over a 720 are the following.

    1. AA batteries
    2. Bigger screen
    3. Viewable in direct sunlight (I once sold a 360LX to a engineer who
    needed a palmtop that could be viewed in direct sunlight that could read
    Excel files. I also imagine the alkaline batteries were a selling point
    for him as it would free him from the wall).
    4. Lighter

    > >> When you save in Word on the desktop there is a format for pocket pc
    > >> files and a seperate format for handheld pc files.

    > Interesting, considering I've never had a problem getting one to read the
    > other. Like I said, my PPC can read docs made by my HPCs, and vice versa.
    > Perhaps this is something that got changed in later versions?
    >

    > > SoftMaker products save in native MS Office formats and are available for
    > > HPC, PPC, Windows and Linux. In addition, their products are more
    > > compatible with MS Office than Microsoft's own PocketOffice versions. You
    > > may still lose some functionality over your desktop office suite, but not
    > > as
    > > much as with the HPC or PPC versions of MS products.
    > >

    > Looks pretty decent. From their site, though, it doesn't look like it
    > supports WordPerfect or Quatro Pro files. Am I correct in this?
    >
    > --Jason

    John

    --
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
    2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
    season and out of season; correct, rebuke
    and encourage ‹ with great patience and
    careful instruction.
    AIM-Crucifyself03

  11. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    I tested a 200LX and loved it. I'd like to own one. I do have a spare Win
    98 laptop to aide my Ibook G4 in the event it crashes, which recently
    happened, and it is know on the way to Apple.

    I have a Zire 72 which syncs to my ibook. I love my Zire, but hate the
    battery life. The Zire has many advantages over my old Palm VIIx, but many
    disadvantages. A 200LX would win in some areas but lose in others. But
    then again perhaps it may be better using a normal digital camera, tape
    recorder, and laptop for the Zire's limited multimedia abilities.

    John

    "KJ" wrote in message
    news:1h2whpa.p5fw441dnyj5oN%news3@SLETMIG.bifrostn et.dk...
    > Bible John wrote:
    >
    > Some years ago I was an avid HPLX user. Recently I again bought a used
    > HP200lx on ebay for pretty much the same reasons as you list.
    >
    > After having used it for some months (again) I must say that there are a
    > lot of features in the HP200lx that seems to have been forgotten in most
    > newer pda's and hpc's (the great keyboard and standard batteres are just
    > some of the most important examples).
    >
    > I use an128 Mb Sanddisk cfcard and a cfcard-pcmcia as disk. Only
    > drawback is some seconds waiting the first time you browse a directory
    > after powering the HPLX. When I want to move data I simply put the card
    > into my standard cf-card reader and move the files around.
    >
    > I mostly use standard DOS apps. I almost never use the built-in apps
    > other than the lotus123 which fileformat works fine with excel among
    > other newer apps. For the editor which is nice when wanting a low
    > resolution (big letters) I sometimes use an rtf converter.
    >
    > For text editing I also have a stripped down version of WordPerfect 5.1.
    > I even do a little programming using Turbo C 2.0, which is available for
    > free at borland.com. For browsing I use Norton Commander.
    >
    > I have written a DOS (and linux and osx) program that handles Garmin GPS
    > synchronization for the newer etrex and gps60 series among other. This
    > is one of my main tasks aside from writing text when on the move.
    >
    > I have managed to get GPRS working including pop3 mail, ftp and irc,
    > but I am having some nasty DNS problems with some applications though.
    >
    > Well these are my experiences. There a problably a lot of different
    > opinions on this matter. I would go for a palm for everyday calendar use
    > and a hp100/200lx for most other things (including travelling and
    > backpacking).
    >
    > KJ
    > --
    > http://www.cetusgps.dk
    > http://www.oz1sun.dk

  12. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700 received comm from
    Bible John on channel comp.os.ms-windows.ce:

    Hi!

    : I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
    : virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The

    Yes, I sometimes use my HP 680, but mostly only when I need a small portable
    Excel machine (not very often these days).

    : If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend? I may

    For me (as a Jornada replacement); one with build in keyboard, GSM/3G and WiFi.

    I was you I would check out this one:
    http://www.t-mobile.de/shop/handy/1,...-0-4-0,00.html
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ca...ersal?site=PPC

    : thought about the Dell PocketPC's. Another major drag about doing this,
    : is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.

    Some Windows CE ISV's has Windows Mobile versions of their old software, so I
    should check out if it would be possible to upgrade some of those.

    : The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
    : more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

    Today I use my WM smartphone as my daily organizer (Qtek 8010, same as Audiovox
    SMT 5600), and I like it a lot because it's much smaller and easier to always
    bring with me compared to a full fledged palmtop/handheld.

    What I do miss is a small build in qwerty keyboard. I know that I can buy a
    separate bluetooth keyboard (and have thought about doing so), but it won't be
    the same thing as having a build in one. Personally I would like to see a device
    with a small keyboard like my old Psion Series 3a (or Sienna). I'm currently
    looking at the upcoming Motorola "Q" or the newly announced Windows Mobile based
    Palm Treo.

    http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...0,,113,00.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/company/?crea...ndows_20050927

    Best regards,

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

  13. Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:40:55 +0100, petrolcan
    wrote:

    >>>In article , Bible
    >>>John says...

    >>>Tried asking god?

    When my J720's display stopped working, The repair cost was
    more than a Palm Zire 71, so instead of making HP richer,
    the move to the zire was a natural, and i've never regretted
    it. There's an infinitely larger software base for the palm
    OS, and repairs are less expensive than HP.
    HP plans this type of obsolescence, using the release of new
    products as a mechanism to eliminate support costs for
    products like the Jornada. Having had my fill of printers
    that fail shortly after the warranty runs out, my decision
    to buy a laptop will not go to HP regardless how atrtractive
    their prices become. In my book, HP has become a "last
    choice" vendor.I'm very happy with my PalmZire71.
    -----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your peers-----
    MB

+ Reply to Thread