programs for OS5 on linux-based PalmOS - Palmtop

This is a discussion on programs for OS5 on linux-based PalmOS - Palmtop ; Will programs for PalmOS5 work on the new linux-based PalmOS? Does it make sense now to buy and collect programs for PalmOS? I worry that they may not work on the new PalmOS devices... Does anybody know? -- Bang...

  1. programs for OS5 on linux-based PalmOS

    --
    Bang

  2. Re: programs for OS5 on linux-based PalmOS

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:13:55 -0700, Bang wrote:

    > Will programs for PalmOS5 work on the new linux-based PalmOS? Does it
    > make sense now to buy and collect programs for PalmOS? I worry that
    > they may not work on the new PalmOS devices... Does anybody know?

    Probably (can't really be sure). When they moved to the ARM processor,
    they built in an emulation layer that allowed them to run the old software
    on the new Palms - mostly.

    Well written apps that used the documented APIs worked fine. Some poorly
    written apps didn't. Apps that didn't use the APIs didn't work.

    Historically, when I upgrade my Palm, about 20% of the apps have issues on
    the new Palm. But more than half of those have some sort of newer program
    that can replace it - so I really don't lose anything.

+ Reply to Thread