1GB SD card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on 1GB SD card - Palmtop ; (Sorry for cross-posting - I previously posted by mistake to c.s.p.pilot... it won't happen to me again) Hi. I am planning to buy a 1GB SD card. Can somebody tell me if "SanDisk Ultra II 1GB Hi-Speed" is compatible with ...

  1. 1GB SD card

    (Sorry for cross-posting - I previously posted by mistake to
    c.s.p.pilot... it won't happen to me again)

    Hi. I am planning to buy a 1GB SD card. Can somebody tell me if
    "SanDisk Ultra II 1GB Hi-Speed" is compatible with the Palm Tungsten C?
    Is it a good choice? Any other suggestions please?

    Both the read and the write speed are important for me. Can palms take
    the advantage of the Hi-Speed? Or will I have the same effect if I buy
    a cheaper (normal speed) 1 GB SD card? In this latter case should I
    choose a Kingston or a SanDisk?

    Thanks a lot for advice.
    Bang

  2. Re: 1GB SD card

    > Hi. I am planning to buy a 1GB SD card. Can somebody tell me if
    > "SanDisk Ultra II 1GB Hi-Speed" is compatible with the Palm Tungsten C?
    > Is it a good choice? Any other suggestions please?

    Works fine for me.

    Leila
    Tungsten C, Zire 71,m515 et al

  3. Re: 1GB SD card

    Thanks Leila!
    I will probably buy this card.

    There is a free utility for the PalmOS to test the speed of a card:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...gutility.shtml

    My Panasonic SD 256MB Hi-Speed on a Tungsten C gives:
    Wrt32bit: 176 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 140183 bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 689852 bytes/sec
    Card speed is Good.

    I wonder how this results compare to 1GB cards. Could those of you with
    hi-speed and normal cards please test them and post the results here?

    Thanks again,
    Bang

  4. Re: 1GB SD card

    In message <1123186617.562689.200740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    "Bang" wrote:

    > Thanks Leila!
    > I will probably buy this card.
    >
    > There is a free utility for the PalmOS to test the speed of a card:
    > http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...gutility.shtml
    >
    > My Panasonic SD 256MB Hi-Speed on a Tungsten C gives:
    > Wrt32bit: 176 bytes/sec
    > Wrt8KB: 140183 bytes/sec
    > Read8KB: 689852 bytes/sec
    > Card speed is Good.
    >
    > I wonder how this results compare to 1GB cards. Could those of you with
    > hi-speed and normal cards please test them and post the results here?

    On my T3, my empty 1Gb card (the cheapest I could find from 'MyMemory'
    in the UK labelled x66) gives:
    Wrt32bit: 289 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 284939 bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 2621440 bytes/sec
    Card speed is excellent
    (The write speeds increase as the test is repeated)

    HTH
    --
    Malcolm

  5. Re: 1GB SD card

    Bang wrote:

    > (Sorry for cross-posting - I previously posted by mistake to
    > c.s.p.pilot... it won't happen to me again)
    >
    > Hi. I am planning to buy a 1GB SD card. Can somebody tell me if
    > "SanDisk Ultra II 1GB Hi-Speed" is compatible with the Palm Tungsten C?
    > Is it a good choice? Any other suggestions please?
    >
    > Both the read and the write speed are important for me. Can palms take
    > the advantage of the Hi-Speed? Or will I have the same effect if I buy
    > a cheaper (normal speed) 1 GB SD card? In this latter case should I
    > choose a Kingston or a SanDisk?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for advice.
    > Bang

    Hi,

    From what I can recall, devices of the Tugsten C 'generation' such as the
    T-3 will accept 1 GB cards, but will not accept a 2 GB card (although a 1.5
    GB might be fine). There are certain exceptions to that, but Palm could
    never guarantee compatibility with 2 GB cards as they were not used in
    their tests (perhaps not yet in the market at the time).

    I notice that others have responded to your question by now.

    All the best,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  6. Re: 1GB SD card

    M P Churchill wrote:

    >In message <1123186617.562689.200740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    > "Bang" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Leila!
    >> I will probably buy this card.
    >>
    >> There is a free utility for the PalmOS to test the speed of a card:
    >> http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...gutility.shtml
    >>
    >> My Panasonic SD 256MB Hi-Speed on a Tungsten C gives:
    >> Wrt32bit: 176 bytes/sec
    >> Wrt8KB: 140183 bytes/sec
    >> Read8KB: 689852 bytes/sec
    >> Card speed is Good.
    >>
    >> I wonder how this results compare to 1GB cards. Could those of you with
    >> hi-speed and normal cards please test them and post the results here?
    >>

    >On my T3, my empty 1Gb card (the cheapest I could find from 'MyMemory'
    >in the UK labelled x66) gives:
    >Wrt32bit: 289 bytes/sec
    >Wrt8KB: 284939 bytes/sec
    >Read8KB: 2621440 bytes/sec
    >Card speed is excellent
    >(The write speeds increase as the test is repeated)

    Another free card speed utility is VFSMark.prc (Google to find). The baseline
    chosen for VFSMark is a Palm m500 with a Palm 16MB SD card running without any
    overclocking or system performance enhancements. Here is how some of my cards
    compare:

    Label brand / Card Info reported brand / Card Size

    Lexar/Panasonic 64M
    File Create: 220%
    File Delete: 116%
    File Write: 68%