lifedrive: wired headset - Palmtop

This is a discussion on lifedrive: wired headset - Palmtop ; Is the audio connector on the lifedrive for headsets including microphone or only headphones? I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) and would like to use a proper wired headset (instead of having to speak into the main unit)......

  1. lifedrive: wired headset

    Is the audio connector on the lifedrive for headsets including
    microphone or only headphones? I don't like Bluetooth(insecure)
    and would like to use a proper wired headset (instead of having to speak
    into the main unit)...

  2. Re: lifedrive: wired headset

    Mathias Koerber wrote:

    > Is the audio connector on the lifedrive for headsets including
    > microphone or only headphones? ...

    There are no combos. Separate jacks would be used for output and input and
    rarely will you find one for input on a PDA...

    > ... I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) ...

    I believe you are incorrect. Unless somebody else gets hold of a device with
    the same distinct patterns (e.g. key), Bluetooth is one of the safest
    things to use. Are you worried that somebody else might listen to your
    music? If you prefer not to use Bluetooth technology, why suggest that it's
    not secure?

    > and would like to use a proper wired headset (instead of having to speak
    > into the main unit)...

    I am not entirely sure you can do this, but someone will correct me if my
    familiarity with the LifeDrive is lacking.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    PS - Sorry if my paragraph in the middle ambiguously seems like a bite. It
    is not intended to appear that way. *smile*

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  3. Re: lifedrive: wired headset

    Roy Schestowitz said the following on 2/8/2005 22:51:
    > There are no combos. Separate jacks would be used for output and input and
    > rarely will you find one for input on a PDA...

    Phones have combos and those would be useful on PDAs too
    (recording memos, Skype etc).

    >>... I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) ...

    > I believe you are incorrect. Unless somebody else gets hold of a device with
    > the same distinct patterns (e.g. key), Bluetooth is one of the safest
    > things to use. Are you worried that somebody else might listen to your
    > music? If you prefer not to use Bluetooth technology, why suggest that it's
    > not secure?

    There are reports of people accessing phonebooks/calls on Bluetooth
    phones, injecting sound into them etc.

    While those may be implementation specific issues, how is one to find
    out/fix that? I'd avoid it by using a wired headset..

  4. Re: Wired Headset Combo

    Mathias Koerber wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz said the following on 2/8/2005 22:51:
    >> There are no combos. Separate jacks would be used for output and input
    >> and rarely will you find one for input on a PDA...

    > Phones have combos and those would be useful on PDAs too
    > (recording memos, Skype etc).

    I think that most of these combos have two separate wires to suit the
    different output jacks on the soundcard (or whatever you would call it
    depending on the medium). Combos will be less compatible and universal, I'm
    imagining.

    I don't think Skype intend to implement a Palm version any time soon
    *frown*. They had plans, but they were apparently conceded.

    http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/20.../msg00168.html

    >>>... I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) ...

    >> I believe you are incorrect. Unless somebody else gets hold of a device
    >> with the same distinct patterns (e.g. key), Bluetooth is one of the
    >> safest things to use. Are you worried that somebody else might listen to
    >> your music? If you prefer not to use Bluetooth technology, why suggest
    >> that it's not secure?

    > There are reports of people accessing phonebooks/calls on Bluetooth
    > phones, injecting sound into them etc.

    You mean like /this/ one from Slashdot a few hours ago?

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...140201&tid=222
    (Injecting Audio Into Insecure Bluetooth Handsets)

    > While those may be implementation specific issues, how is one to find
    > out/fix that? I'd avoid it by using a wired headset..

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  5. Re: lifedrive: wired headset

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:44:15 +0800, Mathias Koerber
    wrote:

    >Roy Schestowitz said the following on 2/8/2005 22:51:
    >> There are no combos. Separate jacks would be used for output and input and
    >> rarely will you find one for input on a PDA...

    >Phones have combos and those would be useful on PDAs too
    >(recording memos, Skype etc).
    >
    >>>... I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) ...

    >> I believe you are incorrect. Unless somebody else gets hold of a device with
    >> the same distinct patterns (e.g. key), Bluetooth is one of the safest
    >> things to use. Are you worried that somebody else might listen to your
    >> music? If you prefer not to use Bluetooth technology, why suggest that it's
    >> not secure?

    >There are reports of people accessing phonebooks/calls on Bluetooth
    >phones, injecting sound into them etc.
    >
    >While those may be implementation specific issues, how is one to find
    >out/fix that? I'd avoid it by using a wired headset..

    I have a wired headset for my StarTac phone and have used
    headsets with desktop phones. These all have a single
    two-circuit connector which is possible because they are
    monaural, with one of the lines in the connector being used
    for the headphone and the other for the microphone. Since
    your PDA is stereo, you would need a three-circuit
    connector, which is rather rare.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.