Can folders be created on an SD card? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Can folders be created on an SD card? - Palmtop ; I have a 2 GB Sandisk SD card in my Tungsten T5. Is there a way to create folders on the SD card, and to then move files on the SD card into them? Thanks....

  1. Can folders be created on an SD card?

    I have a 2 GB Sandisk SD card in my Tungsten T5.

    Is there a way to create folders on the SD card, and to then move files on the SD card into them?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Can folders be created on an SD card?

    scooby wrote:
    > I have a 2 GB Sandisk SD card in my Tungsten T5.
    >
    > Is there a way to create folders on the SD card, and to then move files
    > on the SD card into them?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's possible to create folders on an SD card as the filesystem is
    typically FAT16 and can be read by most operating systems. You can
    manipulate files and folders on an SD card by mounting the card using
    software like Card Export II, or with a dedicated card reader, which you
    can purchase fairly cheaply.

    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sc...sd+card+reader

  3. Re: Can folders be created on an SD card?

    Dekaritae wrote:

    >It's possible to create folders on an SD card
    >as the filesystem is typically FAT16

    Here is what the Palm site has to say about Palm cards and their FAT:

    Solution ID: 10716

    File systems used by SD and MMC expansion cards

    Secure Digital cards (SD) use a different file system than MultiMediaCard (MMC)
    cards. SD cards use FAT12. MMC cards use FAT16.

    In general, SD cards will appear to have more free space than MMC cards with the
    same raw capacity. This is because the SD specification requires a particular
    formatting method, which contrasts with what Microsoft (originator of the FAT
    file system) suggests the formats should be. MMC, on the other hand, generally
    follows the suggested Microsoft formatting structures, which tend to use more
    space.

    palmOne devices differentiate between the two types of cards, and format them
    according to their specifications mandate.

    The cluster size of each formatting technique is different. Cluster size is the
    smallest amount of space that can ever be allocated. Thus, the cluster size
    determines how efficiently the space available can be used. SD uses a larger
    cluster size (16 kilobytes for most cards) while MMC tends to use smaller
    cluster sizes (1 or 2 kilobytes). If you have a number of small files, they will
    occupy more space on an SD card.

    For example, if you had an 18KB file for on an SD card with 16KB clusters, it
    would take two clusters for a total of 32KB. On the other hand, these same files
    stored on an MMC card with 2KB clusters would take up only 18KB. In this
    example, the SD cards uses an additional 40 percent of memory to store the same
    file.

+ Reply to Thread