Multimedia Card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Multimedia Card - Palmtop ; Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info, the contents are listed as 'Application,' 'Audio,' 'Document,' etc but I am not able to identify them ...

  1. Multimedia Card

    Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
    of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info, the contents
    are listed as 'Application,' 'Audio,' 'Document,' etc but I am not able
    to identify them nor delete them. I do know some of the files when, for
    example, I use DocumentToGo and a Word file is listed as being on the
    MM Card. Otherwise, I won't know any of the contents. Help, anyone?

  2. Re: Multimedia Card

    "Anthony" wrote:

    >Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
    >of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info...

    Try using the file managers FileZ or FileProg. You can't launch but you should
    be able to see them. Also you can look inside the files using SiEd. Google to
    find these free programs. However Palm has probably encrypted the card in some
    way so this may not work, but give it a try. Course an inexpensive card reader
    on your PC would be easier...

  3. Re: Multimedia Card

    AaronJ wrote:
    > "Anthony" wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
    > >of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info...

    > Try using the file managers FileZ or FileProg. You can't launch but you should
    > be able to see them. Also you can look inside the files using SiEd. Google to
    > find these free programs. However Palm has probably encrypted the card in some
    > way so this may not work, but give it a try. Course an inexpensive card reader
    > on your PC would be easier...

    I have installed FileZ and it's ok. Thanks for the recommendation! Even
    though I could not launch, I could delete unnecessary files that I
    could read. However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
    I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?

    With SiEd, I get unreadable data, memory problems and my Palm hangs. I
    am uninstalling it. Can you recommend an uninstaller program? Thanks!

  4. Re: Multimedia Card

    "Anthony" wrote:

    >I have installed FileZ and it's ok. Thanks for the recommendation! Even
    >though I could not launch, I could delete unnecessary files that I
    >could read.

    Glad it helped. But still, think about getting a card reader to use with your
    PC. It does the same thing much easier and faster. And they're cheap at around
    US$20.

    >However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
    >I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?

    It is probably used by a program on your Palm. You could try checking the
    creator. Hit the little icon next to 'size' in Filez and select "creator" and
    check the creator ID of that file. Then switch to main memory and see if you can
    find the program with that same creator ID.

    >With SiEd, I get unreadable data,

    True, but if you sift through that data you can sometimes find strings of
    readable text that will give you a clue about the file.

    >memory problems and my Palm hangs.

    Sorry about that. I haven't run into that problem.

    >am uninstalling it. Can you recommend an uninstaller program?

    If SiEd is in main memory then just hit the menu icon and select app>delete.

    You can run FileZ and SiEd (and many other programs) directly from the card. But
    you have to put them in the folder Palm/Launcher or the Palm won't see them.
    Once on the card they will show up normally in the Palm launcher. (Some
    programs, such as those that use alarms, can't run from the card.) I always keep
    programs such as FileZ on the card so that they will be available to any Palm I
    plug the card into.

  5. Re: Multimedia Card

    > >However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
    > >I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?

    > It is probably used by a program on your Palm. You could try checking the
    > creator. Hit the little icon next to 'size' in Filez and select "creator" and
    > check the creator ID of that file. Then switch to main memory and see if you can
    > find the program with that same creator ID.
    >
    > You can run FileZ and SiEd (and many other programs) directly from the card. But
    > you have to put them in the folder Palm/Launcher or the Palm won't see them.
    > Once on the card they will show up normally in the Palm launcher. (Some
    > programs, such as those that use alarms, can't run from the card.) I always keep
    > programs such as FileZ on the card so that they will be available to any Palm I
    > plug the card into.

    Ok, thanks, I'll get a card reader soon! Can I install FileZ in both
    card and Palm?Meanwhile, under FileZ the unknown files have no record
    under creator, type, rec count, attributes, create date, mod date,
    backup date. Only under size do they appear: 216b. Any idea what *.mbp
    files, READER.DAT, LAUNCHER.DAT, VOLUME.NAM are? Is it safe to delete
    them? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread