Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction - Palmtop ; Hi, I'm preparing to put my own OS on my PalmIIIx--got the tools working & I can load embedded programs into ram that write to the micro's registers, etc. I need to know where to place my OS in flash ...

  1. Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction

    Hi,

    I'm preparing to put my own OS on my PalmIIIx--got the tools working &
    I can load embedded programs into ram that write to the micro's
    registers, etc.

    I need to know where to place my OS in flash (where the bootloader will
    jump to). It most likely goes in the 2nd sector of flash
    (0x10C08000--after the remap by the memory controller). What concerns
    me more is if there is some magic number or (worse) checksum stored
    somewhere in rom that the bootloader uses to verfiy there's a legit OS
    image in flash. I REALLY don't want to reverse engineer the bootloader
    assembly. .

    Can anyone help me out on this?

    Thanks much!

    Jim

  2. Re: Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm preparing to put my own OS on my PalmIIIx--got the tools working &
    > I can load embedded programs into ram that write to the micro's
    > registers, etc.
    >
    > I need to know where to place my OS in flash (where the bootloader will
    > jump to). It most likely goes in the 2nd sector of flash
    > (0x10C08000--after the remap by the memory controller). What concerns
    > me more is if there is some magic number or (worse) checksum stored
    > somewhere in rom that the bootloader uses to verfiy there's a legit OS
    > image in flash. I REALLY don't want to reverse engineer the bootloader
    > assembly. .

    The U-Boot bootloader is known to run on the same architectures as most
    Palm devices. You might want to ask around that if you haven't already.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot/

  3. Re: Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction

    Dekaritae,

    Thanks for the reply. Interesting project (u-boot). But,
    unfortunately, there's no support for the Palm IIIx (or any palm for
    that matter).

    Jim

  4. Re: Palm IIIx: os & bootloader interaction

    In article <1121731256.427173.67540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, Jim wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. Interesting project (u-boot). But,
    > unfortunately, there's no support for the Palm IIIx (or any palm for
    > that matter).

    You might find something of use from LinuxDA, which had Linux running on
    a Palm IIIxe.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    [E]mployees at the Department of Homeland Security have been asked to
    keep their eyes open for opportunities to pose the President... The
    goal, they are being told, is to provide Bush with one homeland-
    security photo-op a month."
    http://www.time.com/time/election200...600858,00.html

+ Reply to Thread