Harry Potter EBooks? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Harry Potter EBooks? - Palmtop ; "AaronJ" wrote in message news:9heod1to6bbvtg1t7n1audps44jd20et34@4ax.com... > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote: > >>There are other examples such as buying the paper book and reading an >>ecopy which makes ethical sense to me. > > Ok, how about if I borrow the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 132 of 132

  1. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    "AaronJ" wrote in message
    > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:
    >
    >>There are other examples such as buying the paper book and reading an
    >>ecopy which makes ethical sense to me.

    > Ok, how about if I borrow the *same* paper library book that I also
    > download as
    > an ebook. I keep the library book in my possession while I read the ebook
    > on my
    > Palm. When finished I delete the ebook and return the library book. Am I
    > covered
    > morally now? There is no financial difference to anybody...

    And I wonder if we even are makeing a mistake calling it an "eBook". There
    is no "book" if it's electronic is there? Isn't it only an "eStory",
    "eText", "eDocument" or "eManual"? Or maybe just "Data". But there realy is
    no "book" involved. Just another thought to ponder.

    Regards,
    -Skon

  2. Re: Related HP EBook Article

    "Alex R. Mosteo" wrote in message
    > Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
    >> FWIW, an article directly related to the topic of this long thread
    >>
    >> http://www.wired.com/news/avantgo/st...68269-,00.html
    >>
    >> Beverly Howard

    > "We want to prevent piracy for many reasons, financial being the very last
    > one of those," said Neil Blair, a lawyer and partner at the Christopher
    > Little Literary Agency.

    Boy Mr. Blair is a real funny guy! Ha ha ha.... financial being the very
    last.. He can't be serious.

    Regards,

    -Skon

  3. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    "Skon" wrote:

    >"AaronJ" wrote in message

    >> Next time you go to the library, check out the
    >> criminals at the copy machine...

    >That's why all librarys collect a fee to copy anything. Part goes to the
    >library to pay for the copyer and paper and part goes to the publisher by
    >law. It's figgured in the the number of copys paid for when you copy
    >something at a library.

    This thread died a well deserved death months ago. I was kind of surprised at
    it's resurrection. My library thing was just a quip to the anti-pirate ebook
    crowd. Here's what started it, let the flames begin (again)...

    I go to the library and check out a book, read it, and return it.
    The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one copy to the library.
    I'm a citizen in good standing.

    I go to Usenet, download a book, read it, and delete it.
    The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one (original scanned) copy.
    I'm considered a thief...

  4. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    To my knowledge in the UK, for every loan of a book from a library a very
    small fee is paid to (publisher?) Hence good citizen, Usenet no charge,
    hence thief.
    Paul

    "AaronJ" wrote in message
    > "Skon" wrote:
    >
    >>"AaronJ" wrote in message

    >>> Next time you go to the library, check out the
    >>> criminals at the copy machine...

    >>That's why all librarys collect a fee to copy anything. Part goes to the
    >>library to pay for the copyer and paper and part goes to the publisher by
    >>law. It's figgured in the the number of copys paid for when you copy
    >>something at a library.

    > This thread died a well deserved death months ago. I was kind of surprised
    > at
    > it's resurrection. My library thing was just a quip to the anti-pirate
    > ebook
    > crowd. Here's what started it, let the flames begin (again)...
    >
    > I go to the library and check out a book, read it, and return it.
    > The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one copy to the
    > library.
    > I'm a citizen in good standing.
    >
    > I go to Usenet, download a book, read it, and delete it.
    > The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one (original scanned)
    > copy.
    > I'm considered a thief...

  5. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    Paul goes:

    >To my knowledge in the UK, for every loan of a book from a library a very
    >small fee is paid to (publisher?)

    To the author.

    --
    AH

  6. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    "Paul" wrote:

    >To my knowledge in the UK, for every loan of a book from a library a very
    >small fee is paid to (publisher?) Hence good citizen, Usenet no charge,
    >hence thief.

    My example was from my local (US) county library.
    But I think I can make the same example for the UK:

    My brother loans me a book, I read it and return it.
    The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of the book to my brother.
    I'm a citizen in good standing.

    I go to Usenet, download (borrow) a book, read it, and delete it.
    The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of the scanned book.
    I am considered a thief...

    >> I go to the library and check out a book, read it, and return it.
    >> The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one copy to the
    >> library.
    >> I'm a citizen in good standing.
    >>
    >> I go to Usenet, download a book, read it, and delete it.
    >> The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one (original scanned)
    >> copy.
    >> I'm considered a thief...

  7. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    AaronJ wrote:

    > I go to the library and check out a book, read it, and return it.
    > The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one copy to the library.
    > I'm a citizen in good standing.
    >
    > I go to Usenet, download a book, read it, and delete it.
    > The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one (original scanned) copy.
    > I'm considered a thief...

    The conclusion here is obvious: An author isn't intitled to any income
    from his/her work than the sale of a single book, which can then be
    scanned and read by everyone who wants to. What could be more fair than
    that?

    Just think of how many books we'll be able to read for free once the
    authors, publishers, and copyright enforcers come to understand the
    inescapable logic that leads to this simple and elegant solution! Thanks
    for enlightening us!

    Roy Lewallen

  8. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    Roy Lewallen wrote:
    > AaronJ wrote:
    >

    >> I go to the library and check out a book, read it, and return it.
    >> The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one copy to the
    >> library.
    >> I'm a citizen in good standing.
    >>
    >> I go to Usenet, download a book, read it, and delete it.
    >> The author/publisher gets nothing past the sale of one (original
    >> scanned) copy.
    >> I'm considered a thief...

    > The conclusion here is obvious: An author isn't intitled to any income
    > from his/her work than the sale of a single book, which can then be
    > scanned and read by everyone who wants to. What could be more fair than
    > that?
    >
    > Just think of how many books we'll be able to read for free once the
    > authors, publishers, and copyright enforcers come to understand the
    > inescapable logic that leads to this simple and elegant solution! Thanks
    > for enlightening us!

    While you're being ironic with this post, there's an inescapable truth
    in it: digitalization makes scarcity of some goods a thing of the past.

    --
    Take the Snape polls: http://snape.mosteo.com [Updated 16/08]

  9. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    Roy Lewallen wrote:

    >It never ceases to amaze (and disgust) me to what lengths people will go

    It appears that you can'f find anything wrong with my library logic. If you
    actually had a valid rebuttal you wouldn't have to use a personal attack.

    >to construct exquisite arguments to justify their larceny.

    Actually it's not (criminal) larceny but a *civil* copyright violation. The same
    one you've committed many times over with your scanner or a copy machine.
    Please don't embarrass yourself to say you've never committed a copyright
    violation. And you never speed either do you...

    >But it does get tiresome very quickly.

    No one forcing you to read this. If you're tired take a nap.

    >The sad thing is that their selfish actions...

    And finally a word of advice Roy. If you attack people often and tend to piss
    them off, you would be wise to remove you full name, address, and date of birth
    from all of your posts. I'm (usually) harmless but some here are not.

    You have the last word...

  10. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    AaronJ goes:

    >And finally a word of advice Roy. If you attack people often and tend to piss
    >them off, you would be wise to remove you full name, address, and date of birth
    >from all of your posts. I'm (usually) harmless but some here are not.

    I think Aaron is threatening you, whoever you are, with dire
    consequences if you disagree with him. He seems to think he's already
    gathered your personal details, since he's telling you to remove them.

    That suggests he knows who you are and might come looking for you if
    the mood takes him. A call to the police at this stage might not be
    considered 'de trop'.

    It would be too bad to find out you'd been murdered by a Usenet
    spankard. It was never meant to be that way.

    --
    AH

  11. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    Alan Hope wrote:

    >I think Aaron is threatening you [Roy]

    Not true. I have no intention of doing anything to Roy.

    >with dire consequences if you disagree with him.

    And Roy didn't disagree with me, he never even addressed my point.

    >He seems to think he's already gathered your personal details,

    Roy includes his ham call letters W7EL in every post. Simply go to any ham call
    letter lookup site such as QRZ.com, type in his call, and his personal
    information is available to anyone who wants it. No big detective work there...

    >since he's telling you to remove them.

    And I think that's pretty good advice. It's wise to remain anonymous on USENET,
    even for those who don't use personal attacks as an arguing point.

    >That suggests he knows who you are and might come looking for you if
    >the mood takes him.

    Well I do know who he is, but it would take more than a mood,
    Roy's a 1000 miles away...

    >A call to the police at this stage might not be
    >considered 'de trop'.

    Yup, felony USENET advice...

    >It would be too bad to find out you'd been murdered by a Usenet
    >spankard.

    Murder now? What have you been smoking Alan?

    >It was never meant to be that way.

    Yup. Personal attacks suck...

  12. Re: Harry Potter EBooks?

    Roy Lewallen wrote:
    > The conclusion here is obvious: An author isn't intitled to any income
    > from his/her work than the sale of a single book, which can then be
    > scanned and read by everyone who wants to. What could be more fair than
    > that?
    >
    > Just think of how many books we'll be able to read for free once the
    > authors, publishers, and copyright enforcers come to understand the
    > inescapable logic that leads to this simple and elegant solution! Thanks
    > for enlightening us!

    It's like Star Trek!
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For within these
    Trials, we shall do what needs to be done."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7