Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files" - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files" - Palmtop ; Hi, I got a Zire 72. When I installed the the Palm Desktop (version 4.1.4) on my Windows XP, the installation hung on "Removing Backup Files". I forced it to quit and restarted the computer, but my Zire 72 cannot ...

  1. Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files"

    Hi,

    I got a Zire 72. When I installed the the Palm Desktop (version 4.1.4)
    on my Windows XP, the installation hung on "Removing Backup Files". I
    forced it to quit and restarted the computer, but my Zire 72 cannot
    hotsync to the desktop.

    Anyone with the same problem?

  2. Re: Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files"

    benpark22 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I got a Zire 72. When I installed the the Palm Desktop (version 4.1.4)
    > on my Windows XP, the installation hung on "Removing Backup Files". I
    > forced it to quit and restarted the computer, but my Zire 72 cannot
    > hotsync to the desktop.

    How long did you wait? Sometimes, "removing backup files"
    takes more than a few seconds.

    Notan

  3. Re: Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files"

    I waited about 10 minutes.

    I searched the web, and found I am not alone in having the problem.
    Complaints can be found here. I also pasted at the end. I did not find
    any solution.
    http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6772

    ======================================
    I'm having some installation issues, too.

    The first time I ran the installation (on my Windows XP Pro, SP1), it
    froze during the "Removing Backup Files" part. I had to force quit the
    application via task manager. Re-launching the setup file was not
    possible unless I restarted. (I noticed a program hanging upon shutting
    down my machine: IDriver.exe. Whatever that is.)

    The second time around after reboot, it seemed to have worked for the
    most part. At least this time, the shortcuts and Program Files
    directory were created and the HotSync was working. However, it still
    froze during the SAME process! Amazing that I had to force quit it
    again. Thankfully, it's working now, but not without a few retries.

    PalmOne's QA testing needs some serious improvement because I remember
    experiencing this exact same problem with the ORIGINAL CD's of my
    Tungsten E. Only difference is I had to reinstall Palm Desktop much
    more than twice to get it running properly back then.

    Is/Did anyone else experience similar problems?

    Jim

    I had the same problem as you, Jim. Hangs at the end first time, need
    to restart computer, hangs again at end of installation but desktop
    seems to work after that. Haven't had a chance to use the desktop much
    yet though so we'll see ... BE

  4. Re: Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files"

    benpark22 wrote:

    > I waited about 10 minutes.

    Definitely too long!

    While I haven't any installation problems with Palm, I have
    with other pieces of software.

    You might try installing the software while in "Safe Mode."

    Notan

  5. Re: Palm desktop installation, hang on "Removing Backup Files"

    I followed what Jim in the above said, namely killing IRiver.exe. The
    installation could continue. After restarting the machine, I can
    hotsync now. That was 5 hours of my time.

    I don't know why I got this installation problem. I don't know how
    common it is. I have a master degree in CS, and wonder how the average
    Joe deals with the buggy Palm installation.

+ Reply to Thread