PDA choices? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PDA choices? - Palmtop ; Hi, found this newsgroup tonight, glad to see it is alive and active. Am considering getting a palmtop/handheld, prefer "previously enjoyed" hardware for the cost savings, but am open to all experienced suggestions. My primary needs are easy textfile (.txt) ...

  1. PDA choices?

    Hi, found this newsgroup tonight, glad to see it is alive and active.
    Am considering getting a palmtop/handheld, prefer "previously enjoyed"
    hardware for the cost savings, but am open to all experienced suggestions.
    My primary needs are easy textfile (.txt) entry, long lasting run time
    from mass produced batteries (AA, AAA, C, D), and the ability to save to
    a CF or SD card. Perusing eBay, I have come across the Psion 5* series
    handlhelds, they seem to fill the bill. Heck, there's even an active Linux
    community for them.
    I have often thought it would be good to have a PDA that is not only good
    for writing text, but could play MPEG-1 videos or MP3/OGG music from a flash
    card. I have encoded all my DVDs in MPEG-1 format, the maximum values I've
    used are 160x120 frame size, 256kbps video, 96 kbps audio. Looks like PocketTV
    covers me for MPEG-1 playback, but what kind of hardware should I be looking
    at? I recently saw an NEC MobilePro 780 and a replacement battery pack that
    uses AA batteries, claimed 4 hours runtime. They have an NEC Vr4121 MIPS CPU
    at 168MHz, 32M RAM, and a CF slot. Would such a device give me clean playback
    of a full length feature film encoded as previously described? If not, what
    level of hardware am I looking at?

    --
    Solar-powered Linux: Slackware 10.0, 2.6.11.7, Averatec 3250H1
    RLU#272755

  2. Re: PDA choices?

    Danno wrote:
    > Hi, found this newsgroup tonight, glad to see it is alive and active.
    > Am considering getting a palmtop/handheld, prefer "previously enjoyed"
    > hardware for the cost savings, but am open to all experienced suggestions.
    > My primary needs are easy textfile (.txt) entry, long lasting run time
    > from mass produced batteries (AA, AAA, C, D), and the ability to save to
    > a CF or SD card. Perusing eBay, I have come across the Psion 5* series
    > handlhelds, they seem to fill the bill. Heck, there's even an active Linux
    > community for them.
    > I have often thought it would be good to have a PDA that is not only good
    > for writing text, but could play MPEG-1 videos or MP3/OGG music from a flash
    > card. I have encoded all my DVDs in MPEG-1 format, the maximum values I've
    > used are 160x120 frame size, 256kbps video, 96 kbps audio. Looks like PocketTV
    > covers me for MPEG-1 playback, but what kind of hardware should I be looking
    > at? I recently saw an NEC MobilePro 780 and a replacement battery pack that
    > uses AA batteries, claimed 4 hours runtime. They have an NEC Vr4121 MIPS CPU
    > at 168MHz, 32M RAM, and a CF slot. Would such a device give me clean playback
    > of a full length feature film encoded as previously described? If not, what
    > level of hardware am I looking at?

    I have a "previously enjoyed" Sony Clie PEG-T665c that cost me $50 ebay.
    (Usually $130 refurbished). It was in good shape, and am able to watch
    DVDs on it. It is also great for MP3 playback. It has 16MB Ram, 265MHz,
    and pretty nice PDA. Look into that.

    --
    */Jake Wasdin/*
    jake6535@bellsouth.net

    "The great thing about a computer notebook is that no matter how much
    you stuff into it, it doesn't get bigger or heavier"
    -Bill Gates

  3. Re: PDA choices?

    Wasdin, Jake E. wrote:

    > Danno wrote:
    >> Hi, found this newsgroup tonight, glad to see it is alive and active.
    >> Am considering getting a palmtop/handheld, prefer "previously enjoyed"
    >> hardware for the cost savings, but am open to all experienced
    >> suggestions.
    >> My primary needs are easy textfile (.txt) entry, long lasting run time
    >> from mass produced batteries (AA, AAA, C, D), and the ability to save to
    >> a CF or SD card. Perusing eBay, I have come across the Psion 5* series
    >> handlhelds, they seem to fill the bill. Heck, there's even an active
    >> Linux community for them.

    The problem is size. If you need a keyboard (i.e. you write a great deal of
    text), this might be the one for you.

    >> I have often thought it would be good to have a PDA that is not only
    >> good
    >> for writing text, but could play MPEG-1 videos or MP3/OGG music from a
    >> flash card. I have encoded all my DVDs in MPEG-1 format, the maximum
    >> values I've used are 160x120 frame size, 256kbps video, 96 kbps audio.

    (unlike music, for example). It's nice at the start, but impractical later.

    >> Looks like PocketTV covers me for MPEG-1 playback, but what kind of
    >> hardware should I be looking at? I recently saw an NEC MobilePro 780 and
    >> a replacement battery pack that uses AA batteries, claimed 4 hours
    >> runtime. They have an NEC Vr4121 MIPS CPU at 168MHz, 32M RAM, and a CF
    >> slot. Would such a device give me clean playback of a full length feature
    >> film encoded as previously described? If not, what level of hardware am I
    >> looking at?

    The new LifeDrive from Palm would suit you well, but it's expensive ($499).

    > I have a "previously enjoyed" Sony Clie PEG-T665c that cost me $50 ebay.
    > (Usually $130 refurbished). It was in good shape, and am able to watch
    > DVDs on it.

    How exactly can you watch DVD's on a handheld? Have you copied the data to
    memory?

    UPDATE: I have just read the above. If you encode DVD clips, then it's not
    truly DVD.

    > It is also great for MP3 playback. It has 16MB Ram, 265MHz,
    > and pretty nice PDA. Look into that.

    External memory can also be bought for cheap on eBay. This can make the PDA
    complete (depending on your needs of course).

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  4. Re: PDA choices?

    On 2005-05-20, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Wasdin, Jake E. wrote:

    Thanks for the responses, appreciate it. In the end I bought a Psion 5 on
    eBay for my textfiles, and got a cartridge that allows me to watch low-grade
    video on my GBA (with afterburner kit). All AA-powered , now it's just
    a question of re-encoding all the flicks into the movieadvance format (for-
    tunately it seems to do batch processing well).
    Thanks again.

    --
    Solar-powered Linux: Slackware 10.0, 2.6.11.7, Averatec 3250H1
    RLU#272755

+ Reply to Thread