I was able to hotsync up to today.I now get these messages:

An application cancelled hotsync or failed to respond to hotsync
notification. Please ensure you are not currently editing data using
applications such as palm os desktop or install tool. (8009)

Also got a palm conflict notifier:
A conflict in the installed conduits has been detected.
This is caused when 2 different condutis are using the same PIM data
type(e.g.,address book vs. contacts) To allow sync to proceed, use the
hotsync custom dialog to change one set of conduits to "do nothing"

I did this but it did not help.In custom all of my condiuts are set to snyc
files except backup and splash id which are set to handheld overwrites
desktop and addressbook is set to "do nothing"

I tried a soft reset but it did not help.