SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it? - Palmtop ; Anyone have this? SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it? -- .................................................. ............ > Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup > http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! > Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best ...

  1. SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Anyone have this?

    SONY CLIE PEG UX-50

    -- What do you think of it?

    --

    .................................................. ............
    > Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
    > http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
    > Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

  2. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Lokie wrote:
    > Anyone have this?
    >
    > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50

    yup!

    > -- What do you think of it?

    Great!

  3. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Lokie wrote:
    > Anyone have this?
    >
    > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >
    > -- What do you think of it?

    I don't have it,

    but i hear about that is a very good model, I very good software package
    and so

    but...

    the problem is that clie are not produced anymore. Clie gave up of pda
    market.

    Sony Clie support was terrible before that, imagine now.

    Are you talking about a used one? Get it if it is cheap. take careful
    that normally these clie devices need to replace the battery after
    certain time of use... you will be in trouble to find one good battery
    for you specific model and you will be in trouble to replace it by your
    self.

    Franco - Become a PalmOS Beta Tester:
    http://www.micromagiclabs.com/beta.html
    Visit our PalmOS forums at: http://forums.micromagiclabs.com

  4. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Lokie wrote:
    > Anyone have this?
    >
    > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >
    > -- What do you think of it?

    After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV

    - The screen is not very bright. You will have difficulty using it
    outside on a clear and sunny day.
    - Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works with
    Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for hotsync
    and network hotsync.
    - WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed. The included netfront
    browser does a good job at rendering web pages. Some, like the ones of
    the Zurich Airport it can't handle (http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch).
    The included Clie mail is also pretty good. It will also allow you to
    open jpeg and other file formats.
    - In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
    not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
    once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
    can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
    selectable application.
    - The camera is of very low quality.
    - I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
    playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less power.
    Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.
    - I have found that the Clie is less stable than the older Palms I
    had used before (IIIxe). For example Beaming a contact won't work from
    time to time. It requires a soft reset to restore IR functionality.
    - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I ocasionally
    use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The scroll button
    on the front is also very neat.

    As mentioned elsewhere Sony has exited the Palm market. I once had an
    issue with the Clie. It would not power on. It was not possible to do a
    reset, or a hard reset or charge the batteries. I called the Sony
    helpdesk in Europe, and they declined to offer support for it, arguing
    that this was a Japanese unit (which it is not). Fortunately for me, the
    unit must have consumed all the battery power after 5 days, after which
    I could charge it again and bring it back to life.

    The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
    wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the LifeDrive,
    because it does not have a keyboard.

  5. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Daniel Bacher wrote:
    > After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV
    >
    > - Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works
    > with Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for
    > hotsync and network hotsync.

    There's an update that helps with that, in addition to a Mobile
    Connection Wizard that you run on the PC that helps you set up one or
    more profiles.

    > - WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed.

    That's not all that much of a problem, considering that you'll either
    have small transfers to/from RAM, or large transfers to/from a
    MemoryStick, which will be rather limited by the MS writing speed
    anyhow.

    More of a problem is that there's no WPA support, so you have to leave
    your network open (or use WEP, which is about as useful as writing a
    note stating "the doors are locked" and sticking it on your car).

    > - In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
    > not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
    > once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
    > can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
    > selectable application.

    I've found that BtToggle does a much better job at it. I tried both,
    but paid for and kept using BtToggle. YMMV.

    > - I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
    > playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less
    > power. Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.

    It can't play MP3pro files. Also, if transferring files through WiFi to
    the device (or a card), there's an annoying quirk that you have to go
    into the "Transfer" menu of the audioplayer and then start/stop a dummy
    transfer before it will find the new files.

    Also, ATRAC only works with the old WHITE non-pro memorysticks, which
    are limited to 128 MB in size. This is a shame, since ATRAC gives
    better quality than MP3 at the same file size.

    > - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I
    > ocasionally use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The
    > scroll button on the front is also very neat.

    It's a common problem that the jog dial eventually stops working.
    As for the keyboard, it lacks the vital | (vertical pipe) symbol, which
    makes it much less useful for us that use it to connect to Unix boxes
    where the | is a must.
    There's also no CTRL/blue+key combination that gives you a "|". On the
    other hand, it has two hyphens, which doesn't seem logical. Maybe the |
    fell over.

    Some people have a problem with a high-pitched whine from the screen of
    the UX40/50, and others have a problem with the metal ring meant for
    Japanese to fasten their colorful lanyards to (they do that to cell
    phones too -- I think it's a cultural thing) -- it rusts.

    Despite all this, it's a VERY nice device, and I'd only consider
    replacing it with a Sharp Zaurus. Being able to configure a server
    without getting out of bed is _nice_.

    Also worth mentioning is PicselViewer, which displays office documents,
    images and PDFs nicely rendered on zoomable pages. It takes up a LOT of
    memory and isn't 100% stable, but it's *so* much better for viewing than
    Acrobat Reader for PalmOS or DocumentsToGo.

    Videos too are nice -- the screen is of course too small for reading
    subtitled movies. But there's no stuttering or other problems, due to
    the special video routines of the CPU Sony uses - it plays videos far
    smoother than a much faster T3 or T5. Typically, movie files will take
    up around 100 MB per hour after converting to "high quality" MQV format,
    so an additional memory card is a must. You can also play some native
    MPG movies (as long as they're not DivX or Xvid) by renaming them in a
    special way and placing them in a special directory on a card, but it's
    easier to convert the movies first.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

  6. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    In article ,
    "Daniel Bacher" wrote:

    > Lokie wrote:
    > > Anyone have this?
    > >
    > > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    > >
    > > -- What do you think of it?
    > >

    > After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV
    >
    > - The screen is not very bright. You will have difficulty using it
    > outside on a clear and sunny day.
    > - Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works with
    > Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for hotsync
    > and network hotsync.
    > - WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed. The included netfront
    > browser does a good job at rendering web pages. Some, like the ones of
    > the Zurich Airport it can't handle (http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch).
    > The included Clie mail is also pretty good. It will also allow you to
    > open jpeg and other file formats.
    > - In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
    > not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
    > once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
    > can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
    > selectable application.
    > - The camera is of very low quality.
    > - I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
    > playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less power.
    > Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.
    > - I have found that the Clie is less stable than the older Palms I
    > had used before (IIIxe). For example Beaming a contact won't work from
    > time to time. It requires a soft reset to restore IR functionality.
    > - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I ocasionally
    > use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The scroll button
    > on the front is also very neat.
    >
    > As mentioned elsewhere Sony has exited the Palm market. I once had an
    > issue with the Clie. It would not power on. It was not possible to do a
    > reset, or a hard reset or charge the batteries. I called the Sony
    > helpdesk in Europe, and they declined to offer support for it, arguing
    > that this was a Japanese unit (which it is not). Fortunately for me, the
    > unit must have consumed all the battery power after 5 days, after which
    > I could charge it again and bring it back to life.
    >
    > The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
    > wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the LifeDrive,
    > because it does not have a keyboard.

    So overall would you recommend it over other PALMS with keyboards??

    --

    .................................................. ............
    > Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
    > http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
    > Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

  7. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Per Lokie:
    >Does PALM DESKTOP work at all with Sony Clies?

    The Clie does need a driver, but my recollection is that Palm Desktop was 100%
    portable - i.e. no need to re-install it from the Clie disk.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  8. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Lokie wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Daniel Bacher" wrote:
    >

    >> - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY
    >> keyboard. I ocasionally use my wife's palm, and miss the feature
    >> every time. The scroll button on the front is also very neat.
    >>
    >> The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
    >> wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the
    >> LifeDrive, because it does not have a keyboard.
    >>

    > So overall would you recommend it over other PALMS with keyboards??

    I haven't used other palms with keyboards, therefore I am not qualified
    to make such a statement. I have found that the keyboard has changed my
    behaivour. I am no longer using grafitti to enter text on the Clie. I
    wish my next device has a keyboard.

  9. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    I Lokie wrote:
    > Anyone have this?
    >
    > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >
    > -- What do you think of it?

    I LOVE MINE!

  10. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    In article ,
    Matt Anderson wrote:

    > I Lokie wrote:
    > > Anyone have this?
    > >
    > > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    > >
    > > -- What do you think of it?
    > >

    > I LOVE MINE!

    Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?

    I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:

    1) Works on Mac
    2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    3) Stable, recent OS
    4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    6) Long battery life
    7) Has Wi-Fi
    8) Will take memory expansion card

    I looked at all the various Palm Pilots, and saw that the SONY CLIEs
    seem to be pretty good... but there are so many of them.

    They are out of production, so I will get one on eBay.

    I figure since they stopped making them, I can now pick the best one
    ever made and buy it on eBay.

    However, I need your opinions and knowledge on which SONY CLIE to get.

    #1 need is a backlit keyboard and of course stability/manufacturing
    quality.

    What is your advice? Would you also recommend anything else that synchs
    with a Macintosh that isn't a SONY CLIE? (Palm Tungsten Cs don't have
    backlit keyboards)

    TIA!

  11. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    The Atom wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Matt Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I Lokie wrote:
    >>> Anyone have this?
    >>>
    >>> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >>>
    >>> -- What do you think of it?
    >>>

    >> I LOVE MINE!

    > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    >
    > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    >
    > 1) Works on Mac
    > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > 6) Long battery life

    That's the main problem with UX-50

  12. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    In article <44C0F54F.3020506@schtroumf.be>,
    Jo Vandeweghe wrote:

    > The Atom wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Matt Anderson wrote:

    > >> I LOVE MINE!

    > > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    > >
    > > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    > >
    > > 1) Works on Mac
    > > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > > 6) Long battery life

    > That's the main problem with UX-50

    What's the main problem?

  13. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    The Atom wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Matt Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I Lokie wrote:
    >>> Anyone have this?
    >>>
    >>> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >>>
    >>> -- What do you think of it?
    >>>

    >> I LOVE MINE!

    > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    >
    > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    >
    > 1) Works on Mac
    > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > 6) Long battery life
    > 7) Has Wi-Fi
    > 8) Will take memory expansion card
    >

    > I looked at all the various Palm Pilots, and saw that the SONY CLIEs
    > seem to be pretty good... but there are so many of them.
    >
    > They are out of production, so I will get one on eBay.
    >
    > I figure since they stopped making them, I can now pick the best one
    > ever made and buy it on eBay.
    >
    > However, I need your opinions and knowledge on which SONY CLIE to get.
    >
    > #1 need is a backlit keyboard and of course stability/manufacturing
    > quality.
    >
    > What is your advice? Would you also recommend anything else that synchs
    > with a Macintosh that isn't a SONY CLIE? (Palm Tungsten Cs don't have
    > backlit keyboards)

    The Tungsten C is almost everything you need, and the battery life can
    be extended with an external pack.

  14. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    I Lokie wrote:
    > Anyone have this?
    >
    > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >
    > -- What do you think of it?

    I LOVE MINE!

  15. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    #1 need is a backlit keyboard and of course stability/manufacturing
    quality.

    What is your advice? Would you also recommend anything else that synchs
    with a Macintosh that isn't a SONY CLIE? (Palm Tungsten Cs don't have
    backlit keyboards)

    TIA!

  16. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    The Atom wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Matt Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I Lokie wrote:
    >>> Anyone have this?
    >>>
    >>> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >>>
    >>> -- What do you think of it?
    >>>

    >> I LOVE MINE!

    > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    >
    > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    >
    > 1) Works on Mac
    > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > 6) Long battery life

    That's the main problem with UX-50

  17. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    Jo Vandeweghe wrote:

    > The Atom wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Matt Anderson wrote:

    > >> I LOVE MINE!

    > > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    > >
    > > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    > >
    > > 1) Works on Mac
    > > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > > 6) Long battery life

    > That's the main problem with UX-50

    What's the main problem?

  18. Re: SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

    The Atom wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Matt Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I Lokie wrote:
    >>> Anyone have this?
    >>>
    >>> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
    >>>
    >>> -- What do you think of it?
    >>>

    >> I LOVE MINE!

    > Advice Needed: Best SONY CLIE w/KEYBOARD?
    >
    > I'm about to get a PALM PILOT. I need one that:
    >
    > 1) Works on Mac
    > 2) Has a backlit KEYBOARD (can type at night)
    > 3) Stable, recent OS
    > 4) Good quality (won't break or stop working mysteriously)
    > 5) Will primarily be used for WORD documents
    > 6) Long battery life
    > 7) Has Wi-Fi
    > 8) Will take memory expansion card
    >

    > I looked at all the various Palm Pilots, and saw that the SONY CLIEs
    > seem to be pretty good... but there are so many of them.
    >
    > They are out of production, so I will get one on eBay.
    >
    > I figure since they stopped making them, I can now pick the best one
    > ever made and buy it on eBay.
    >
    > However, I need your opinions and knowledge on which SONY CLIE to get.
    >
    > #1 need is a backlit keyboard and of course stability/manufacturing
    > quality.
    >
    > What is your advice? Would you also recommend anything else that synchs
    > with a Macintosh that isn't a SONY CLIE? (Palm Tungsten Cs don't have
    > backlit keyboards)

    The Tungsten C is almost everything you need, and the battery life can
    be extended with an external pack.

+ Reply to Thread