Software compatibility - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Software compatibility - Palmtop ; Hello, I had an Zire (m150 - PalmOS 4.1) but to replace it I will buy an Zire 21 (PalmOS 5.1) My question is: did the old software will work on the new hardware ?...

  1. Software compatibility

    Hello, I had an Zire (m150 - PalmOS 4.1) but to replace it I will buy
    an Zire 21 (PalmOS 5.1)
    My question is: did the old software will work on the new hardware ?

  2. Re: Software compatibility

    jeanberniolles@gmail.com wrote in news:1116154784.427932.89000
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I had an Zire (m150 - PalmOS 4.1) but to replace it I will buy
    > an Zire 21 (PalmOS 5.1)
    > My question is: did the old software will work on the new hardware ?

    Some will, some wont. In part, it will depend on how tightly the software
    is tied to the screen resolution among other things. Some software will
    precipitate a lock up and require a soft reset. Trial and error

    -S-

  3. Re: Software compatibility

    I rarely have problems with old Palm software as such, they tend to run
    properly, however the conduits and hotsync tend to stop working since
    they changed the File System in Palm OS 5

  4. Re: Software compatibility

    jeanberniolles@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, I had an Zire (m150 - PalmOS 4.1) but to replace it I will buy
    > an Zire 21 (PalmOS 5.1)
    > My question is: did the old software will work on the new hardware ?

    Hello Jean,

    Paul from palmOne here. If you'd like to minimize the risk of software
    compatibility issues in your upgrade to the Zire 21, the palmOne
    Knowledge Library article "Upgrading from a previous Palm OS handheld"
    may be of help. http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=12926.
    Then just choose the "Other" link under the "What new device do you
    have?" heading.

    Best

    Paul

    __________________
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Novotny
    paul.novotny@palmOne.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Start earning rewards today.
    Register for free at
    http://paysback.palmone.com/

  5. Re: Software compatibility

    Ok thanks for all your answers.

    It seem that PalmOS 5 make use of it's powerfull processor to perform
    software emulation. I think I will try all the software to see what
    errors I might encounter.

    Finding updated software could be an good idea, but I do think that the
    Zire 21 is the only one with black&white lo-res screen so most newer
    application may have compatibility problems.

+ Reply to Thread