Li-ion battery pack substitution. - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Li-ion battery pack substitution. - Palmtop ; I have a Compaq Aero 2130 with a bad li-ion battery...Unfortunately, this seems to be the only PDA that ever used this type of battery, which means it costs like the dickens! Has anybody ever experimented with using a different ...

  1. Li-ion battery pack substitution.

    I have a Compaq Aero 2130 with a bad li-ion battery...Unfortunately,
    this seems to be the only PDA that ever used this type of battery,
    which means it costs like the dickens! Has anybody ever experimented
    with using a different Li-ion battery to replace a rare one? Would
    there be a problem with the charging circuitry? Would it blow up,
    taking an entire city block with it? I'd like to know if somebody else
    has experimented (and survived) before I try it.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Li-ion battery pack substitution.

    ltfranklin wrote:
    > I have a Compaq Aero 2130 with a bad li-ion battery...Unfortunately,
    > this seems to be the only PDA that ever used this type of battery,
    > which means it costs like the dickens! Has anybody ever experimented
    > with using a different Li-ion battery to replace a rare one? Would
    > there be a problem with the charging circuitry? Would it blow up,
    > taking an entire city block with it? I'd like to know if somebody
    > else has experimented (and survived) before I try it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Well, you've listed the recognized problems with unsuitable Li-ion
    batteries. It is entirely probably the the contacts will be an issue
    with "just any third-party battery". Li-ion batteries are on or near
    the bottom of the list for personal experimentation.