Best of Current Palm type PDAs for... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Best of Current Palm type PDAs for... - Palmtop ; I'm sure this has been asked with many other variables. If this has been asked before, I'd appreciate a pointer to the discussion. My m500 has started with the spastic digitizer behavior. When I turn it on, anyplace I touch ...

  1. Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    I'm sure this has been asked with many other variables. If this has been asked before, I'd
    appreciate a pointer to the discussion.

    My m500 has started with the spastic digitizer behavior. When I turn it on, anyplace I
    touch the screen the X component is always 0 (i.e., tracing a circle forms a verticle line
    on the left edge of the screen). Occasionally it'll come back and I can use it until I've
    turnedit off again for a while. I have DigiFix on it but doesn't help so it's likely
    hardware related.

    I need to replace this but there is nothing I can find with a nice simple feature set like
    the m500.

    - Rechargable
    - works easily with Mac OS X
    - Only need black and White (color simply wears down batteries faster)
    - Only need basic organizer features plus one or two book reading apps
    - Don't need online stuff such as email
    - syncing via bluetooth would be icing on the cake but not essential. I'm used to a cradle.
    - Don't need cameras
    - Don't need sound
    - small size also nice to have (used to the m500's size inside a case inside my shirt
    poscket).
    - Really needs to be cheap. I've been out of work for a while and can't afford much
    - Definately do NOT want any type of pocket PC.

    In other words, I think I need an m500 that was just manufactured new in the last few
    months :-(

    Since the word on all of these things seems to be that none of them last very long and
    reliability seems to be really lacking in contemporary units (even more so than the models
    from 2-4 years ago), I'm really trying to determine if something reliable is even possible
    to find these days. Does anyone have any suggestions on current models I should look
    closely at.

    Also a final question. Is it feasible to have an m500 overhauled to fix these digitizer
    problems fairly cheap? It seems to be a very common issue.

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  2. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Mon 09 May 2005 07:55:24p, Jeff Wiseman, wrote:

    > Also a final question. Is it feasible to have an m500 overhauled to
    > fix these digitizer problems fairly cheap? It seems to be a very
    > common issue.

    My brother had an IBM Workpad c500 (Palm m500) screen go out. He bought
    complete screen (digitizer and glass) for about $10 on eBay and replaced
    it himself. It works fine. (He is pretty good working on this kind of
    stuff -- but anyone should be able to do it with a little care and the
    right torx screwdriver blade.)

    You might consider buying a used m500 or c500 (same thing) on eBay. I've
    seen them go for as cheaply as $25 in excellent condition. Just take a
    close look at the details and the seller's reputation.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    RonB wrote:

    > On Mon 09 May 2005 07:55:24p, Jeff Wiseman, wrote:
    >

    >>Also a final question. Is it feasible to have an m500 overhauled to
    >>fix these digitizer problems fairly cheap? It seems to be a very
    >>common issue.

    > My brother had an IBM Workpad c500 (Palm m500) screen go out. He bought
    > complete screen (digitizer and glass) for about $10 on eBay and replaced
    > it himself. It works fine. (He is pretty good working on this kind of
    > stuff -- but anyone should be able to do it with a little care and the
    > right torx screwdriver blade.)
    >
    > You might consider buying a used m500 or c500 (same thing) on eBay. I've
    > seen them go for as cheaply as $25 in excellent condition. Just take a
    > close look at the details and the seller's reputation.

    I just had a note a fellow sent me telling me about a
    pdaparts.com website where he purchased a new digitizer for an
    m125 for $20 so I'm going to check that out.

    purchasing and old, cheap m500 on eBay would worry me that it had
    problems with the main thing I'm having problems with :-)

    course, if it's cheap enough I guess it's worth looking into.

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  4. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 at 01:55 GMT, wrote:

    > I need to replace this but there is nothing I can find with a nice simple feature set like
    > the m500.

    There have been hundreds of c500 (IMB m500 rebrands) flooding eBay for
    the last couple of months. Going for about $50 shipped, unless you
    catch one for less.

    Got mine that way, and it was in near-perfect condition. No box (or
    CD) but the cradle/charger was there and the unit works great.

    --
    http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
    CBSRMT uploads each day in

  5. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    Frater Mus wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 at 01:55 GMT, wrote:
    >

    >>I need to replace this but there is nothing I can find with a nice simple feature set like
    >>the m500.

    > There have been hundreds of c500 (IMB m500 rebrands) flooding eBay for
    > the last couple of months. Going for about $50 shipped, unless you
    > catch one for less.
    >
    > Got mine that way, and it was in near-perfect condition. No box (or
    > CD) but the cradle/charger was there and the unit works great.

    I was looking at some of those. The Charger cradle is not like
    mine (USB). It has the old 9 pin serial port like the Vx. Is this
    REALLY a rebranded m500 or is it just a rebranded Vx?

    I've seen some marked as new for as low as $160 but for $195 at
    Staples, I can buy a new Tungsten E. Wouldn't the E be a better
    deal at that price since it is "newer technology"? Or does it
    have more problems than the m500 did?

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  6. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Wed 11 May 2005 10:04:06a, Jeff Wiseman, wrote:

    > purchasing and old, cheap m500 on eBay would worry me that it had
    > problems with the main thing I'm having problems with :-)
    >
    > course, if it's cheap enough I guess it's worth looking into.

    You've got to watch eBay fairly closely. For a while someone was selling
    brand new IBM Workpad c500s and they were going for about $30, sometimes
    less until the seller quit putting so many up at a time. They came with
    serial cables (instead of USB cables) and without software, but otherwise
    they brand new in the box.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Wed 11 May 2005 05:02:20p, Jeff Wiseman, wrote:

    > I was looking at some of those. The Charger cradle is not like
    > mine (USB). It has the old 9 pin serial port like the Vx. Is this
    > REALLY a rebranded m500 or is it just a rebranded Vx?

    I've got one. They're definitely rebranded c500s, not Vxs and they are
    identical to m500, except black (which I like). IBM did sell a rebranded
    Vx, but it was called a C3. And, for whatever reason, the cable on my
    c500 was also a serial cable, but a I can use my USB for syncing to the
    computer.

    One other thing, when I upgraded the ROM to 4.1 (from 4.01), using the Vx
    ROM image from Palm, I had to use the advanced upgrade method. The
    automatic upgrade option saw the c500 as *not* a Vx because (I assume)
    the BIOS said it wasn't. But otherwise the upgrade went fine, just this
    minor glitch. (It was the same with my old IBM Workpad iiix clone.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 at 23:02 GMT, wrote:

    >> There have been hundreds of c500 (IMB m500 rebrands) flooding eBay for
    >> the last couple of months. Going for about $50 shipped, unless you
    >> catch one for less.

    > I was looking at some of those. The Charger cradle is not like
    > mine (USB).

    If you still have your USB cradle then you're in business!

    Based on SUDS death stories, I'm happier with the serial cradle,
    although I did find a closeout usb cable for the m500 at radioshack
    for $3.

    > REALLY a rebranded m500 or is it just a rebranded Vx?

    Yup, m500 with the slot (I'm running a 128MB SD I had lying around).
    IBM called it the c500.

    --
    http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
    CBSRMT uploads each day in
    http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ our ex-racer greyhound
    http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/cs.html How to get good phone support

  9. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 at 06:06 GMT, wrote:

    > One other thing, when I upgraded the ROM to 4.1 (from 4.01), using the Vx
    > ROM image from Palm, I had to use the advanced upgrade method. The

    You can pull down the m500 image off palmone.com or whatever.

    BN: apparently the flash upgrade can only be done over serial, not
    USB.

    --
    http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
    CBSRMT uploads each day in
    http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ our ex-racer greyhound
    http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/cs.html How to get good phone support

  10. Re: Best of Current Palm type PDAs for...

    On Sat 14 May 2005 07:33:11a, Frater Mus, wrote:

    > BN: apparently the flash upgrade can only be done over serial, not
    > USB.

    Weird. I was using my serial cradle so I didn't know the USB cable
    wouldn't work.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"