An open letter to Palm for open file formats - Palmtop

This is a discussion on An open letter to Palm for open file formats - Palmtop ; Dear Palm, I sincerely appreciate your work in the synchronization and sharing arena. However, you are making it increasingly hard for me to recommend your products. We have a wide variety of products at use in our company of more ...

  1. An open letter to Palm for open file formats

    Dear Palm,

    I sincerely appreciate your work in the synchronization and sharing
    arena. However, you are making it increasingly hard for me to recommend
    your products. We have a wide variety of products at use in our company
    of more than 200 people. I have to be able to talk to all of them to
    make sharing actually work and not just be a buzzword.

    When someone can only export one item at a time in VCS format to share
    with others in a standard format, that's a problem.

    When you suddenly change the file format, and don't tell developers how
    to parse it, that's a problem.

    History on the net has shown that products that have the ability to
    survive have the ability to be modified to be useful. I don't want to
    modify your OS; all I want is Palm to get on board and be a team player
    in using a well documented ICS (or even the less-documented VCS) file
    format -- and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

    Thanks,

    A Frustrated Developer

  2. Re: An open letter to Palm for open file formats

    Palm doesn't use files. The Palm "filesystem" is really just a database.

    And if you're talking about the record format of their built-in apps (such
    as Appointments, ToDo, etc), they have released those recently.

    Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    wrote in message
    news:1115330697.848892.104200@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dear Palm,
    >
    > I sincerely appreciate your work in the synchronization and sharing
    > arena. However, you are making it increasingly hard for me to recommend
    > your products. We have a wide variety of products at use in our company
    > of more than 200 people. I have to be able to talk to all of them to
    > make sharing actually work and not just be a buzzword.
    >
    > When someone can only export one item at a time in VCS format to share
    > with others in a standard format, that's a problem.
    >
    > When you suddenly change the file format, and don't tell developers how
    > to parse it, that's a problem.
    >
    > History on the net has shown that products that have the ability to
    > survive have the ability to be modified to be useful. I don't want to
    > modify your OS; all I want is Palm to get on board and be a team player
    > in using a well documented ICS (or even the less-documented VCS) file
    > format -- and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > A Frustrated Developer

+ Reply to Thread