Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC? - Palmtop ; Hi, I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups on my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to backup the memo-pad. However, none of the databases in the backup ...

  1. Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC?

    Hi,

    I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups on
    my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to backup
    the memo-pad.

    However, none of the databases in the backup folder (pdb's) seem to have
    anything to do with the memo-pad. The memo folder under my profile has
    one "dat" file, but no memo's in there.

    I tried the palm desktop, but it (nor I) could not find any .MPA files
    on the pc (I searched the whole drive).

    Am I missing something?

    Any other news-groups or forums that are appropriate for this question?

    Thanks,

    Mirko

  2. Re: Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC?

    Phony Account wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups on
    > my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to backup
    > the memo-pad.
    >
    > However, none of the databases in the backup folder (pdb's) seem to have
    > anything to do with the memo-pad. The memo folder under my profile has
    > one "dat" file, but no memo's in there.
    >
    > I tried the palm desktop, but it (nor I) could not find any .MPA files
    > on the pc (I searched the whole drive).

    I'm having the same problem with my T5. Hot-sync is set to sync the
    memos with the computer, but I have yet to see any of the memos anywhere
    on the computer in 4 months of use. One or two memos *DID* sync the
    first week I got the T5, but never again after that. Also, memos that
    are created on the computer via PalmDesktop don't ever show up on the PDA.

    I've posted in the newsgroups AND on the Palm support site and haven't
    really gotten any answers. If you figure it out, let me know.

  3. Re: Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC?

    Cindy Murray wrote in
    newsOKdnUG7lZmj0vPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com:

    > Phony Account wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups
    >> on my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to
    >> backup the memo-pad.
    >>
    >> However, none of the databases in the backup folder (pdb's) seem to
    >> have anything to do with the memo-pad. The memo folder under my
    >> profile has one "dat" file, but no memo's in there.
    >>
    >> I tried the palm desktop, but it (nor I) could not find any .MPA
    >> files on the pc (I searched the whole drive).

    > I'm having the same problem with my T5. Hot-sync is set to sync the
    > memos with the computer, but I have yet to see any of the memos
    > anywhere on the computer in 4 months of use. One or two memos *DID*
    > sync the first week I got the T5, but never again after that. Also,
    > memos that are created on the computer via PalmDesktop don't ever show
    > up on the PDA.
    >
    > I've posted in the newsgroups AND on the Palm support site and haven't
    > really gotten any answers. If you figure it out, let me know.

    My guess is that you have a corrupted memo. Try reading through the
    memos you have, carefully, and look for strange characters. If that
    doesn't help, try deleting all the memos and starting over. You can copy
    and paste to a text file, and then copy and paste back if you like. This
    should also help in finding corrupted memos. Pimlico Software (developer
    of Datebk5) has an app to find corrupted datebook records, but I don't
    know of anything for memos.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  4. Re: Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC?

    Stan Gosnell wrote:
    > Cindy Murray wrote in
    > newsOKdnUG7lZmj0vPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com:
    >

    >>Phony Account wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups
    >>>on my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to
    >>>backup the memo-pad.
    >>>
    >>>However, none of the databases in the backup folder (pdb's) seem to
    >>>have anything to do with the memo-pad. The memo folder under my
    >>>profile has one "dat" file, but no memo's in there.
    >>>
    >>>I tried the palm desktop, but it (nor I) could not find any .MPA
    >>>files on the pc (I searched the whole drive).

    >>I'm having the same problem with my T5. Hot-sync is set to sync the
    >>memos with the computer, but I have yet to see any of the memos
    >>anywhere on the computer in 4 months of use. One or two memos *DID*
    >>sync the first week I got the T5, but never again after that. Also,
    >>memos that are created on the computer via PalmDesktop don't ever show
    >>up on the PDA.
    >>
    >>I've posted in the newsgroups AND on the Palm support site and haven't
    >>really gotten any answers. If you figure it out, let me know.
    >>

    > My guess is that you have a corrupted memo. Try reading through the
    > memos you have, carefully, and look for strange characters. If that
    > doesn't help, try deleting all the memos and starting over. You can copy
    > and paste to a text file, and then copy and paste back if you like. This
    > should also help in finding corrupted memos. Pimlico Software (developer
    > of Datebk5) has an app to find corrupted datebook records, but I don't
    > know of anything for memos.

    I'll try that (give me a day or two).

    Mirko

  5. Re: Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC?

    Phony Account wrote in

    > I'll try that (give me a day or two).

    OK. I'll give you as long as you need. ;-)

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  6. Re: Where is the memo-pad backup file on the PC? [Partially Resolved]

    Phony Account wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a treo-180, and I recently tried to find my memo-pad backups on
    > my pc (I'd like to print some of them). The hot-sync is set to backup
    > the memo-pad.
    >
    > However, none of the databases in the backup folder (pdb's) seem to have
    > anything to do with the memo-pad. The memo folder under my profile has
    > one "dat" file, but no memo's in there.
    >
    > I tried the palm desktop, but it (nor I) could not find any .MPA files
    > on the pc (I searched the whole drive).
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Any other news-groups or forums that are appropriate for this question?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirko

    I got my memo's to back-up on the drive by turning on the outlook notes
    conduit in the hot-sync set-up. Now I have a bunch of binary *.dat
    files in the memopad directory.

    I have tried to import these into the palm desktop, with no success
    because that utility cannot import *.dat files.

    Also, I am not sure how to restore the memo's after a hard reset since
    there are no pdb files.

    Any thoughts on that, and also suggestions on good literature that deals
    with similar topics?

    Thanks,

    Mirko

+ Reply to Thread