This is a discussion on HP 200LX vs. Jornada 720 - Palmtop ; Whats better? 200LX http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/ Jornada 720...

  1. HP 200LX vs. Jornada 720

    Whats better?

    200LX
    http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/

    Jornada 720

  2. Re: HP 200LX vs. Jornada 720

    >> Whats better? <<

    apples and oranges... depends on what you need.

    The 200LX is dos based in addition to several device specific
    applications such as pim manager, a Lotus 123 port, etc and can run most
    dos based programs that do not require extended memory, but has a
    monochrome screen and limited syncing capabilities for pim data.

    Good battery life (no backlight) uses "AA" bats, chicklet keyboard,
    serial port and PCMCIA slot (with very low power capabilities)

    I'll let someone else give the pros for the 720, but, at the same time,
    point out that they are very old devices with diminshing support so you
    might consider a pocketpc in place of either.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  3. Re: HP 200LX vs. Jornada 720

    "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote in
    message news:%23Zl%239cIRFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > >> Whats better? <<

    > I'll let someone else give the pros for the 720, but, at the same time,
    > point out that they are very old devices with diminshing support so you
    > might consider a pocketpc in place of either.

    Agreed. My daughter still uses my 200LX, my 720 gave up the ghost
    (touchscreen became unreliable). I use an iPAQ 5550 now. I prefer the
    form-factor of the 720, but the functionality of the iPAQ. The 200LX is/was
    wonderful in its time, but there is far more useful stuff available for the
    PocketPC nowadays.

    - Skip

  4. Re: HP 200LX vs. Jornada 720

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:26:48 -0500, "Beverly Howard
    [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

    >Good battery life (no backlight) uses "AA" bats, chicklet keyboard,
    >serial port and PCMCIA slot (with very low power capabilities)

    Some users have created backllights for their 200lxs. So far none
    are available for users to purchase.

    >I'll let someone else give the pros for the 720, but, at the same time,
    >point out that they are very old devices with diminshing support so you
    >might consider a pocketpc in place of either.

    The 720 had alot of promise, Sadly the platform was abandoned
    too soon and the users fled the platform too soon.

    Users can keep a platform alive for many years. Users have kept the
    200lx alive for years, users killed the 720 very shortly after
    Microsoft and others abandoned the platform.

    I keep hearing users claiming that someone still uses the hpc
    platform, I haven't seen any evidence of it.