HP hx2415 and rx3715 comparison? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on HP hx2415 and rx3715 comparison? - Palmtop ; Hello. I'm looking at both of the above HP ipaq models to buy. Can someone give opinions on differences, advantages/disadvantages of the two models when compared? Here's what I basically think already: *rx3715 (Mobile Media Companion): Pros: - Integrated camera ...

  1. HP hx2415 and rx3715 comparison?

    Hello. I'm looking at both of the above HP ipaq models to buy. Can someone
    give opinions on differences, advantages/disadvantages of the two models
    when compared? Here's what I basically think already:

    *rx3715 (Mobile Media Companion):
    Pros:
    - Integrated camera (still and video)
    - More available onboard memory (not a big deal since it takes SD cards,
    right?)
    - Great battery life, according to reviews (8+ hours?)
    Cons:
    - Non-Intel processor (Samsung 400mhz); maybe slower than the fastest
    Intels
    - No flip cover for screen--you have to use a case (really just the same as
    my Palm Zire 71--I just use an aluminum case)
    - Software interface seems to be geared toward "home control" (remote
    control)...ho-hum

    *hx2415 (Ipaq Pocket PC):
    Pros:
    - Fast Intel processor (520 mhz)
    - Comes with flip cover (I like this design--similar to my old Palm IIIc)
    Cons:
    - Not as good battery life as rx-model
    - No camera

    I can get either model for about the same price. So other than these basic
    differences, are these models basically the same? Both play MP3 and WMV
    audio (one review of the rx3715 I saw said it didn't support MP3
    playback??--no way!)? Both have same basic Pocket PC applications (Pocket
    Word, Excel, IE, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: HP hx2415 and rx3715 comparison?

    "Fr@nk" wrote in message
    | Hello. I'm looking at both of the above HP ipaq models to buy. Can
    someone
    | give opinions on differences, advantages/disadvantages of the two
    models
    | when compared? Here's what I basically think already:
    |
    | *rx3715 (Mobile Media Companion):
    | Pros:
    | - Integrated camera (still and video)
    | - More available onboard memory (not a big deal since it takes SD
    cards,
    | right?)
    | - Great battery life, according to reviews (8+ hours?)
    | Cons:
    | - Non-Intel processor (Samsung 400mhz); maybe slower than the
    fastest
    | Intels
    | - No flip cover for screen--you have to use a case (really just the
    same as
    | my Palm Zire 71--I just use an aluminum case)
    | - Software interface seems to be geared toward "home control"
    (remote
    | control)...ho-hum
    |
    | *hx2415 (Ipaq Pocket PC):
    | Pros:
    | - Fast Intel processor (520 mhz)
    | - Comes with flip cover (I like this design--similar to my old Palm
    IIIc)
    | Cons:
    | - Not as good battery life as rx-model
    | - No camera
    |
    | I can get either model for about the same price. So other than these
    basic
    | differences, are these models basically the same? Both play MP3 and
    WMV
    | audio (one review of the rx3715 I saw said it didn't support MP3
    | playback??--no way!)? Both have same basic Pocket PC applications
    (Pocket
    | Word, Excel, IE, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

    The important part is missing. What you need or want.

  3. Re: HP hx2415 and rx3715 comparison?

    "alan smith" wrote in message

    > The important part is missing. What you need or want.

    Good point. I need a PDA with Wi-Fi built in. None of the Palm models (I
    currently have a Zire 71) have this (although you can use a Wi-Fi SD card),
    so I'm looking at Pocket PCs.

    I'm also _used_ to the camera in my Zire 71, so I guess you could say I
    _want_ that.

    The added speed of the HP hx2415? A plus, but I can't say I _need_ it. The
    better battery life in the rx3715? Again, a plus, but I can't say I _need_
    it.

    So it seems like based on my wants, the rx3715 is closer to the right choice
    for me. I just wanted to ask about all other things (features) in these two
    models being equal, what's the difference? Reliability? Build quality? These
    are things that I'd like to know about these, but which have nothing to do
    with my needs or wants.

    So, anything?