Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items - Palmtop ; Ivan Skivar (kthomson@tconl.com) wrote: >Fred Ma wrote: >> Anyway, it seems to be a pervasive problem if it affects different >> handhelds, different Palm OS, and different datebook versions. Maybe >> it's the Palm Desktop itself. The Palm Desktop version ...

  1. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Ivan Skivar (kthomson@tconl.com) wrote:
    >Fred Ma wrote:
    >> Anyway, it seems to be a pervasive problem if it affects different
    >> handhelds, different Palm OS, and different datebook versions. Maybe
    >> it's the Palm Desktop itself. The Palm Desktop version I have is
    >> v.4.1.4.

    >Yep, and it needs fixing.

    This is getting to be a real pain in the butt. It's also afflicting
    datebook events that haven't been assigned to even categories (i.e.
    "unfiled"). Correcting the end times on the Palm Desktop doesn't work,
    as the end time gets corrupted again on the next HotSync. Correcting
    the end time on the (repeating) event doesn't seem to correct it on
    dates in the past.

  2. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Fred Ma wrote in news:d3cr88$baf$1
    @driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca:

    > This is getting to be a real pain in the butt. It's also afflicting
    > datebook events that haven't been assigned to even categories (i.e.
    > "unfiled"). Correcting the end times on the Palm Desktop doesn't work,
    > as the end time gets corrupted again on the next HotSync. Correcting
    > the end time on the (repeating) event doesn't seem to correct it on
    > dates in the past.

    Are you syncing datebook or calendar? What model Palm? If you try to use
    the wrong conduit I could see having a problem, but I have never had this
    occur.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  3. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    It's a real problem. It happens to me too - using the calendar and a
    Tungsten C. It is very annoying.

  4. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Stan Gosnell wrote:
    > Fred Ma wrote in news:d3cr88$baf$1
    > @driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca:
    >

    >>This is getting to be a real pain in the butt. It's also afflicting
    >>datebook events that haven't been assigned to even categories (i.e.
    >>"unfiled"). Correcting the end times on the Palm Desktop doesn't work,
    >>as the end time gets corrupted again on the next HotSync. Correcting
    >>the end time on the (repeating) event doesn't seem to correct it on
    >>dates in the past.

    > Are you syncing datebook or calendar? What model Palm? If you try to use
    > the wrong conduit I could see having a problem, but I have never had this
    > occur.

    Hi, Stan,

    The complete problem is at: http://tinyurl.com/5422z

    I am pressing the HotSync button on the cradle, which
    syncs all applications. The application which experiences
    the corrupted event end-times is Date Book 3.0. The Palm
    OS is Palm OS 3.3. The Palm Desktop version is 4.1.4. It
    is running on Win2K, service pack 4, hosted by an Dell
    Inspiron 8000.

    Fred

  5. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Fred Ma wrote in

    > Stan Gosnell wrote:
    >> Fred Ma wrote in
    >> news:d3cr88$baf$1 @driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca:
    >>

    >>>This is getting to be a real pain in the butt. It's also afflicting
    >>>datebook events that haven't been assigned to even categories (i.e.
    >>>"unfiled"). Correcting the end times on the Palm Desktop doesn't
    >>>work, as the end time gets corrupted again on the next HotSync.
    >>>Correcting the end time on the (repeating) event doesn't seem to
    >>>correct it on dates in the past.

    >> Are you syncing datebook or calendar? What model Palm? If you try to
    >> use the wrong conduit I could see having a problem, but I have never
    >> had this occur.

    > Hi, Stan,
    >
    > The complete problem is at: http://tinyurl.com/5422z
    >
    > I am pressing the HotSync button on the cradle, which
    > syncs all applications. The application which experiences
    > the corrupted event end-times is Date Book 3.0. The Palm
    > OS is Palm OS 3.3. The Palm Desktop version is 4.1.4. It
    > is running on Win2K, service pack 4, hosted by an Dell
    > Inspiron 8000.

    Palm Desktop 4.1.4 has two different conduits for the datebook/calendar.
    You can right-click on the hotsync manager icon in the tray, select
    "Custom" and view all the installed conduits on your PC. The datebook
    conduit is for older Palms, and the Calendar conduit is for newer OS5
    Palms (older OS5 models, like the Zire 71, etc, also use datebook, not
    calendar). If you use the calendar conduit with an older Palm, you can
    have problems, and vice versa. You still didn't specify which conduit
    you have set to sync. If you have datebook set to sync and calendar set
    to do nothing, then things should work, and you have a valid complaint.
    I don't have a solution, because I haven't seen that problem. If you
    have the calendar conduit set to sync, then you need to turn it off.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  6. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Thanks for the tip. My hotsynch manager was set to synch both the
    Datebook and the Calendar for my Tungsten C. I'll try turning the
    Calendar synch to "do nothing".

  7. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    (I'll try turning the Calendar synch to "do nothing")

    Nope. Didn't fix the problem. Then I tried having Calendar synch and
    Datebook do nothing = no problem! A promising result. Fingers crossed.

  8. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    "Ivan Skivar" wrote in news:1113400488.254431.62670
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Thanks for the tip. My hotsynch manager was set to synch both the
    > Datebook and the Calendar for my Tungsten C. I'll try turning the
    > Calendar synch to "do nothing".

    Trying to sync both will almost certainly cause problems.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  9. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Stan Gosnell wrote:
    > "Ivan Skivar" wrote in news:1113400488.254431.62670
    > @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >

    >>Thanks for the tip. My hotsynch manager was set to synch both the
    >>Datebook and the Calendar for my Tungsten C. I'll try turning the
    >>Calendar synch to "do nothing".
    >>

    > Trying to sync both will almost certainly cause problems.

    I don't know about that. As far as I can tell, I've been doing just that
    on my original Zire for months, with no problems.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have

  10. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Thanks for the tip. My hotsynch manager was set to synch both the
    > Datebook and the Calendar for my Tungsten C. I'll try turning the
    > Calendar synch to "do nothing".

    Trying to sync both will almost certainly cause problems.

    It's still screwed up. If I sync the only the Datebook the endtimes of
    repeated events are changed to 11.55 PM. Samething happens if I sync
    both the Datebook and the Calendar. If I sync only the Calendar there
    is no syncing between the Tungsten C and the desktop.. Any suggestions?

  11. Re: HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

    Ivan Skivar wrote:
    > Thanks for the tip. My hotsynch manager was set to synch both the
    >
    >>Datebook and the Calendar for my Tungsten C. I'll try turning the
    >>Calendar synch to "do nothing".

    > Trying to sync both will almost certainly cause problems.
    >
    > It's still screwed up. If I sync the only the Datebook the endtimes of
    > repeated events are changed to 11.55 PM. Samething happens if I sync
    > both the Datebook and the Calendar. If I sync only the Calendar there
    > is no syncing between the Tungsten C and the desktop.. Any suggestions?

    I have the same problem on the Palm Pilot. That is, both datebook and
    calendar conduits were set to synchronize. If I calendar to Do-Nothing,
    I still get the corrupted end-times of weekly repeating events (and this
    is of the unfiled category ie. not business nor personal). If I set
    calendar to Synchronize and Datebook to Do-Nothing, then fix the end-times
    on the palm desktop, there is no conflict, but neither are the events on
    the palm pilot updated with the fixed end times. In both cases, I ensured
    that I set the Set-As-Default switch when changing the conduit, so that
    it is not just for the next HotSynch. I'm open to any suggestions, as I
    often use repeating events.

    Fred

+ Reply to Thread