PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux? - Palmtop ; Here's a loaded topic... What are some of the pro's and cons of the numerous PDA platforms available today? I like the quick-and-simple usability of Palm, but wish it had more flexibility on many of its built-in apps. I like ...

  1. PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    Here's a loaded topic...

    What are some of the pro's and cons of the numerous PDA platforms available
    today?

    I like the quick-and-simple usability of Palm, but wish it had more
    flexibility on many of its built-in apps. I like the more-robust features
    of WinCE, but find that it's not very quick and easy to use -- it can take a
    while to go manage tasks, etc. I know nothing about the Linux platforms on
    a PDA, but love the down-to-earth feel and power of it on PC's.

    I'm looking for a new PDA that's going to meet the needs of a PDA (nice
    calendaring, contacts, tasks, and preferably interface with Outlook), but it
    should also give me the flexibility and power to put in some customized
    settings, scripts, apps, etc. I love the ability to script.

    Any guidance?

    X_HOBBES
    (Still running an old PalmIII with Datebook3)

  2. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:37:35 -0400, X_HOBBES wrote:
    > I'm looking for a new PDA that's going to meet the needs of a PDA (nice
    > calendaring, contacts, tasks, and preferably interface with Outlook), but it
    > should also give me the flexibility and power to put in some customized
    > settings, scripts, apps, etc. I love the ability to script.

    No PDA meets your needs.

    Palm is fast and the PDA apps are the best of the ones that come with PDAs.

    WinCE is slow, power hungry and has poor PDA apps.
    Unfortunately, Linux on a PDA is the same. The PDA apps are just scaled
    down versions of the desktop apps - and that just doesn't work on a PDA.

    If you are looking for a PDA and want to do a bit more, Palm is your best
    bet.
    If you are looking for a hand held laptop (with all the benefits and
    drawbacks thereof), WinCE or Linux is a better bet.
    Linux (especially the Zaurus SL-CXXX models) work very nice as a tiny
    laptop.

  3. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    Ranma schrieb:

    >WinCE is slow, power hungry and has poor PDA apps.
    >Unfortunately, Linux on a PDA is the same.

    I guess that on linux half of the things don't work like they should.

    Another point for Palm is the synchronisation. I don't want to use
    Outlook and so the Palm Desktop is a fine and quick Programm for editing
    the data of my palm on the computer.

    But there are two systems left you did not mention: Symbian OS and
    Blackberry. I only saw Symbian on a Motorola A925. Really horrible to
    synchronize.

  4. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    The Blackberry didn't really impress me that much. I like the device, but
    not the software suite. I won't call it an OS because I don't know that you
    can add apps the same way you could with Palm and WinCE.

    I'm still on a mission to find the right device and platform! =-)

    X_HOBBES

    "Martin Brunner" wrote in message
    Ranma schrieb:

    >WinCE is slow, power hungry and has poor PDA apps.
    >Unfortunately, Linux on a PDA is the same.

    I guess that on linux half of the things don't work like they should.

    Another point for Palm is the synchronisation. I don't want to use
    Outlook and so the Palm Desktop is a fine and quick Programm for editing
    the data of my palm on the computer.

    But there are two systems left you did not mention: Symbian OS and
    Blackberry. I only saw Symbian on a Motorola A925. Really horrible to
    synchronize.

  5. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    Ranma schrieb:

    >>WinCE is slow, power hungry and has poor PDA apps.
    >>Unfortunately, Linux on a PDA is the same.

    Martin Brunner:

    > I guess that on linux half of the things don't work like they should.
    >
    > Another point for Palm is the synchronisation. I don't want to use
    > Outlook and so the Palm Desktop is a fine and quick Programm for editing
    > the data of my palm on the computer.
    >
    > But there are two systems left you did not mention: Symbian OS and
    > Blackberry. I only saw Symbian on a Motorola A925. Really horrible to
    > synchronize.

    X_HOBBES:

    > The Blackberry didn't really impress me that much. I like the device, but
    > not the software suite. I won't call it an OS because I don't know that
    > you can add apps the same way you could with Palm and WinCE.
    >
    > I'm still on a mission to find the right device and platform! =-)

    I suggest that you wait for the next 'wave' of Palm handhelds to come out.
    As for synchronising Outlook, you can do that perfectly well with Palm OS.
    In fact, Palm also supports other mail applications like Thunderbird. If
    you use Linux on a desktop machine, remember that the Palm will be
    compatible with it, whereas a PPC won't.

    Do not choose a PDA because of Flash. Choose what works, what is reliable,
    and what is open enough to allow you to migrate between platforms and
    applications. Don't get yourself in a data lock-in situation.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  6. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    What does the next wave of Palm have to offer? Will they be Linux-based? I
    thought I read that somewhere, but I might be wrong.

    X_HOBBES

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Ranma schrieb:
    >
    > >>WinCE is slow, power hungry and has poor PDA apps.
    > >>Unfortunately, Linux on a PDA is the same.

    > Martin Brunner:
    >
    > > I guess that on linux half of the things don't work like they should.
    > >
    > > Another point for Palm is the synchronisation. I don't want to use
    > > Outlook and so the Palm Desktop is a fine and quick Programm for editing
    > > the data of my palm on the computer.
    > >
    > > But there are two systems left you did not mention: Symbian OS and
    > > Blackberry. I only saw Symbian on a Motorola A925. Really horrible to
    > > synchronize.

    > X_HOBBES:
    >
    > > The Blackberry didn't really impress me that much. I like the device,

    but
    > > not the software suite. I won't call it an OS because I don't know that
    > > you can add apps the same way you could with Palm and WinCE.
    > >
    > > I'm still on a mission to find the right device and platform! =-)

    > I suggest that you wait for the next 'wave' of Palm handhelds to come out.
    > As for synchronising Outlook, you can do that perfectly well with Palm OS.
    > In fact, Palm also supports other mail applications like Thunderbird. If
    > you use Linux on a desktop machine, remember that the Palm will be
    > compatible with it, whereas a PPC won't.
    >
    > Do not choose a PDA because of Flash. Choose what works, what is reliable,
    > and what is open enough to allow you to migrate between platforms and
    > applications. Don't get yourself in a data lock-in situation.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Roy S. Schestowitz
    > http://Schestowitz.com

  7. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    X_HOBBES wrote:

    > What does the next wave of Palm have to offer? Will they be Linux-based?
    > I thought I read that somewhere, but I might be wrong.
    >
    > X_HOBBES

    Well, yes. It has been circulating around the Internet for a while so I
    wrote about it.

    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archiv...ded-for-linux/

    Roy

  8. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    X_HOBBES schrieb:

    >What does the next wave of Palm have to offer? Will they be Linux-based? I
    >thought I read that somewhere, but I might be wrong.

    I hope it's not getting slower then. I still like my Palm IIIe best an
    it runs Palm OS 3.3. :-)

    P.S.: In Newsgroups it is recommended to answer articles like shown
    at http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ant...s.html#quoting

  9. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:25:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Well, yes. It has been circulating around the Internet for a while so I
    > wrote about it.

    Its targeted to be PalmOS on top of Linux, not Linux on Palm.

    I hope they have the manpower to continue development internally,
    though.. I seriously hope they don't think that just because they're going
    to move their kernel to Linux, means that they're going to get
    dozens of people writing their software for them, for free.

    That isn't going to happen, and especially since they've done absolutely
    nothing to help the Free Software and Open Source community for almost a
    decade now, even though we've repeatedly asked politely for help with new
    hardware, devices, documentation and bugs we've found (and worked around)
    in PalmOS from the sync and conduit side of things.

    They've got a LOT of good will to make up with the Free Software
    and Linux communities before anyone trusts them.

  10. Re: PalmOS vs. WinCE vs. Linux?

    When will these versions of the Palm be available? Or are they already
    available?

    How can I get my hands on one?

    Thanks,
    X_HOBBES

    "David A. Desrosiers" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.04.10.20.27.11.86262@gnu-designs.com...
    > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:25:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > Well, yes. It has been circulating around the Internet for a while so I
    > > wrote about it.

    > Its targeted to be PalmOS on top of Linux, not Linux on Palm.
    >
    > I hope they have the manpower to continue development internally,
    > though.. I seriously hope they don't think that just because they're going
    > to move their kernel to Linux, means that they're going to get
    > dozens of people writing their software for them, for free.
    >
    > That isn't going to happen, and especially since they've done absolutely
    > nothing to help the Free Software and Open Source community for almost a
    > decade now, even though we've repeatedly asked politely for help with new
    > hardware, devices, documentation and bugs we've found (and worked around)
    > in PalmOS from the sync and conduit side of things.
    >
    > They've got a LOT of good will to make up with the Free Software
    > and Linux communities before anyone trusts them.

+ Reply to Thread