How can I shorten the Cancel operation when I cancel a sync? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How can I shorten the Cancel operation when I cancel a sync? - Palmtop ; Hi all, I have a Palm T3. Sometimes (quite often, at the moment) the sync gets stuck in the middle of sync'ing something and just hangs there forever. So I have to do a Cancel. Then the T3 takes ages ...

  1. How can I shorten the Cancel operation when I cancel a sync?

    Hi all,

    I have a Palm T3. Sometimes (quite often, at the moment) the sync gets stuck
    in the middle of sync'ing something and just hangs there forever. So I have
    to do a Cancel. Then the T3 takes ages to comlete the Cancel process.

    Why does my T3 hang? And how can I make the Cancel process shorter?

    Thanks.

    Avraham.

  2. Re: How can I shorten the Cancel operation when I cancel a sync?

    Avraham Makeler wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Palm T3. Sometimes (quite often, at the moment) the sync gets
    > stuck in the middle of sync'ing something and just hangs there forever.

    Try to identify the process and explain to yourself why it fails. Sometimes
    re-installation can help.

    > > So

    > I have to do a Cancel. Then the T3 takes ages to complete the Cancel
    > process.

    This has a reason so don't temper with it. To keep data integrity, there
    needs to be some cleanup. As for the reason why the button takes a while to
    blink, it is probably because HotSync takes a high priority in the
    scheduler and the interface becomes less responsive. I don't know exactly
    what process is involved when you hit "Cancel", but it might be similar to
    a process of shut-down in operating systems.

    > Why does my T3 hang? And how can I make the Cancel process shorter?

    Unless you find an option somewhere, you will need to find a hack. I also
    believe that the more you have installed on your Palm, the slower the
    process becomes.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  3. Re: How can I shorten the Cancel operation when I cancel a sync?

    I had the same problem. Do a soft reset - push the pin in at the rear of the
    palm. It simply tells the computer to stop what it is doing and restart. It
    is due, in my opinion, to the cpu entering a state the developer did not
    expect to exist, and it doesn't know how to handle it. Or it is waiting for
    something and there is no timeout and exit routine built in. Either way, the
    cause (IMHO) is due to crappy software that was not fault-tolerant tested
    well enough to ensure it gracefully exits any kind of situation it gets into
    so that manual intervention is not required.

    The soft reset makes the cance process very short. The palm will hang if
    there is insufficient memory, if there is an app that it doesn't like, or if
    the connection fails to the desktop or to the modem (if you're using one).
    If you think the palm T3 is bad, you should have dealt with the earlier
    models and OSs. There may be some cleanup going on, but since there's no
    hard drive, it should be quite fast (as it usually is). Are you using the
    cable to hotsync? I find that is the fastest, although I've used IR and BT.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Stephen P. Reimers
    Naval Salvage Officer
    "Avraham Makeler" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Palm T3. Sometimes (quite often, at the moment) the sync gets
    > stuck
    > in the middle of sync'ing something and just hangs there forever. So I
    > have
    > to do a Cancel. Then the T3 takes ages to comlete the Cancel process.
    >
    > Why does my T3 hang? And how can I make the Cancel process shorter?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Avraham.

+ Reply to Thread