Procedure for Backing up/Reinstalling Palm Desktop - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Procedure for Backing up/Reinstalling Palm Desktop - Palmtop ; I have a user running Palm software on win XP Home. He and his wife have separeate windows accounts but right now access his palm stuff only from his account. Basically the whole isntallation is a mess. When try to ...

  1. Procedure for Backing up/Reinstalling Palm Desktop

    I have a user running Palm software on win XP Home. He and his wife have
    separeate windows accounts but
    right now access his palm stuff only from his account.
    Basically the whole isntallation is a mess. When try to open the Palm
    Desktop get
    messages that contacts and calendar can't be accessed etc. At this point the
    easiest thing is to
    reinstall the whole thing from scratch in my opinion.

    So here is what im planning to do:
    1. Backup the JohnS and JaneS folders from Palm directory somewhere else on
    the drive.
    2. Uninstalling Palm completely and even deleting the palm folder form
    Program Files.
    3. Reinstalling Palm for JohnS account and then reinstalling Palm in JaneS
    account so that they now have separate
    installations.
    4. Now, how do I add the folder back to the palm folder? Do I just copy and
    paste them back? Or would it be better
    to resynch from Palm to the laptop?

    I'm pretty new to palmtops so please excuse my ingorance..

    Thank You

  2. Re: Procedure for Backing up/Reinstalling Palm Desktop

    It would be better to install the Palm Desktop under an Admin account,
    accessible for all accounts. Both would use the same software but would
    have different accounts within that software.

    Palm Desktop does not use the XP User Settings the way most programs do
    but maintains its own users in a sub-directory within the Program
    File/Palm directory.

    asdf wrote:
    > I have a user running Palm software on win XP Home. He and his wife have
    > separeate windows accounts but
    > right now access his palm stuff only from his account.
    > Basically the whole isntallation is a mess. When try to open the Palm
    > Desktop get
    > messages that contacts and calendar can't be accessed etc. At this point the
    > easiest thing is to
    > reinstall the whole thing from scratch in my opinion.
    >
    > So here is what im planning to do:
    > 1. Backup the JohnS and JaneS folders from Palm directory somewhere else on
    > the drive.
    > 2. Uninstalling Palm completely and even deleting the palm folder form
    > Program Files.
    > 3. Reinstalling Palm for JohnS account and then reinstalling Palm in JaneS
    > account so that they now have separate
    > installations.
    > 4. Now, how do I add the folder back to the palm folder? Do I just copy and
    > paste them back? Or would it be better
    > to resynch from Palm to the laptop?
    >
    > I'm pretty new to palmtops so please excuse my ingorance..
    >
    > Thank You

+ Reply to Thread