Multiple hotsyncs - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Multiple hotsyncs - Palmtop ; I have a desktop, a laptop and two Sony Clie's and want them all hotsync'ed. The laptop is a recent addition. Before it's inclusion I was able to keep the computer and two Clie's successfully hotsync'd. Now I'm having trouble. ...

  1. Multiple hotsyncs

    I have a desktop, a laptop and two Sony Clie's and want them all hotsync'ed.

    The laptop is a recent addition. Before it's inclusion I was able to
    keep the computer and two Clie's
    successfully hotsync'd. Now I'm having trouble. One new Contact
    originally put into
    the laptop is now on one of the Clie's, no longer on the laptop and
    never did appear on the other Clie or the desktop.

    Is there a certain sequence of Hotsync'ing to make sure all 4 units are
    identical? Or another solution?

    RogerB

  2. Re: Multiple hotsyncs

    RogerB wrote:

    > I have a desktop, a laptop and two Sony Clie's and want them all
    > hotsync'ed.
    >
    > The laptop is a recent addition. Before it's inclusion I was able to
    > keep the computer and two Clie's
    > successfully hotsync'd. Now I'm having trouble. One new Contact
    > originally put into
    > the laptop is now on one of the Clie's, no longer on the laptop and
    > never did appear on the other Clie or the desktop.
    >
    > Is there a certain sequence of Hotsync'ing to make sure all 4 units are
    > identical? Or another solution?
    >
    > RogerB

    Roger,

    Something tells me (having thought about this) that you will need to
    synchronise any given PDA with both the desktop and the laptop before
    making any more synchronisations/changes, which can cause 'confusions'. The
    ideal solution would have probably been desktop-to-desktop(laptop)
    synchronisation.

    Here is my rationale:

    Let us say you had an appointment with Mr. Smith at 2PM. You recorded it in
    PDA1. You then synchronised it with the laptop. Desktop knows nothing about
    it. Synchronising PDA2 with the desktop would be fruitless. Things become
    even more complex if the meeting moves to 3PM. You then risk the
    possibility of many conflicts.

    My advice:

    Do it like the gunslingers from the Wild West. Put PDA1 in cradle1 and PDA2
    in cradle2. Synchronise both. Then switch the cradles (holsters) and
    synchronise both again. This takes the duration of the longer HotSync x 2.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com