Canceling a pending event - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Canceling a pending event - Palmtop ; I have a POPUPLIST that gets filled dynamically, and I'm trying to make its behaviour a little more user friendly. When the user taps I grab the screenX and screenY values from the pendown event to decide whether I need ...

  1. Canceling a pending event

    I have a POPUPLIST that gets filled dynamically, and I'm trying to make its
    behaviour a little more user friendly. When the user taps I grab the screenX
    and screenY values from the pendown event to decide whether I need to kill
    the event. If I do, I don't want the popSelectEvent to fire at the next
    pendown event. I tried dequeing it, but that didn't work. I also tried
    adding a pendown event to the queue in the popSelectEvent in an attempt to
    get the Palm to re-raise the POPUPLIST without a user tap. I'm new to PDA
    programing, and fooling the Palm OS seems like quite the chore. Does anybody
    have the syntax to kill a pending event?

  2. Re: Canceling a pending event

    In article <1M-dndqncq4KAKrfRVn-gA@wavecable.com>, looking@you.kid
    says...
    > I have a POPUPLIST that gets filled dynamically, and I'm trying to make its
    > behaviour a little more user friendly. When the user taps I grab the screenX
    > and screenY values from the pendown event to decide whether I need to kill
    > the event. If I do, I don't want the popSelectEvent to fire at the next
    > pendown event. I tried dequeing it, but that didn't work. I also tried
    > adding a pendown event to the queue in the popSelectEvent in an attempt to
    > get the Palm to re-raise the POPUPLIST without a user tap. I'm new to PDA
    > programing, and fooling the Palm OS seems like quite the chore. Does anybody
    > have the syntax to kill a pending event?

    It is right here;

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

  3. Re: Canceling a pending event

    Humphrey wrote:

    > I have a POPUPLIST that gets filled dynamically, and I'm trying to make its
    > behaviour a little more user friendly. When the user taps I grab the screenX
    > and screenY values from the pendown event to decide whether I need to kill
    > the event. If I do, I don't want the popSelectEvent to fire at the next
    > pendown event. I tried dequeing it, but that didn't work.

    I don't have any idea what you're trying to do and how it's more
    user-friendly. What event are you trying to kill, and why, and
    what are you trying to accomplish?

    > I also tried
    > adding a pendown event to the queue in the popSelectEvent in an attempt to
    > get the Palm to re-raise the POPUPLIST without a user tap. I'm new to PDA
    > programing, and fooling the Palm OS seems like quite the chore. Does anybody
    > have the syntax to kill a pending event?

    Look at your main event loop. You call EvtGetEvent(), right? Then
    what do you do after that? You probably pass that event to
    SysHandleEvent(). If you don't want the system to handle that
    event, one solution would be to not ever pass it to SysHandleEvent()
    or MenuHandleEvent() or AppHandleEvent() (if you have one) or
    FrmDispatchEvent().

    - Logan

  4. Re: Canceling a pending event

    "Logan Shaw" wrote in message
    > Humphrey wrote:
    >
    > > I have a POPUPLIST that gets filled dynamically, and I'm trying to make

    its
    > > behaviour a little more user friendly. When the user taps I grab the

    screenX
    > > and screenY values from the pendown event to decide whether I need to

    kill
    > > the event. If I do, I don't want the popSelectEvent to fire at the next
    > > pendown event. I tried dequeing it, but that didn't work.

    > I don't have any idea what you're trying to do and how it's more
    > user-friendly. What event are you trying to kill, and why, and
    > what are you trying to accomplish?

    The Palm scrollbar is just too narrow. Users often inadvertently tap in the
    list when they are trying to scroll, and they complain about it a great
    deal. I want to ignore the popSelectEvent if the Y coordinate is within 5-8
    of the right edge. I want to popuplist to remain up and able to respond to a
    valid scroll or a valid select, meaning not too close to the scroll bar.

    > > I also tried
    > > adding a pendown event to the queue in the popSelectEvent in an attempt

    > > get the Palm to re-raise the POPUPLIST without a user tap. I'm new to

    PDA
    > > programing, and fooling the Palm OS seems like quite the chore. Does

    anybody
    > > have the syntax to kill a pending event?

    > Look at your main event loop. You call EvtGetEvent(), right? Then
    > what do you do after that? You probably pass that event to
    > SysHandleEvent(). If you don't want the system to handle that
    > event, one solution would be to not ever pass it to SysHandleEvent()
    > or MenuHandleEvent() or AppHandleEvent() (if you have one) or
    > FrmDispatchEvent().
    >
    > - Logan

+ Reply to Thread