turn off color to save power? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on turn off color to save power? - Palmtop ; Will my Palm (m505) start using more power the moment a non-black pixel is displayed? If I want to save power should I pick an application's black and white mode, or must I specify 1 bit color system wide, etc....

  1. turn off color to save power?

    Will my Palm (m505) start using more power the moment a non-black
    pixel is displayed? If I want to save power should I pick an
    application's black and white mode, or must I specify 1 bit color
    system wide, etc.

  2. Re: turn off color to save power?

    In article <874qfcv6mk.fsf@jidanni.org>, Dan Jacobson wrote:
    > Will my Palm (m505) start using more power the moment a non-black
    > pixel is displayed? If I want to save power should I pick an
    > application's black and white mode, or must I specify 1 bit color
    > system wide, etc.

    PDA screens don't have a 'b&w mode' and a 'color mode'. The software
    driving them might, but as far as the screen is concerned it's just
    displaying pixels. I think power consumption will be the same no
    matter how many colors are on the screen.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "Sure, it's easy to achieve partial obfuscation through pure
    stupidity, but for complete, systematic retardation, you need
    hard working great thinkers that put their best effort into
    it." - Fredrik Johansson, on Windows NT

  3. Re: turn off color to save power?

    Dan Jacobson wrote:
    > Will my Palm (m505) start using more power the moment a non-black
    > pixel is displayed? If I want to save power should I pick an
    > application's black and white mode, or must I specify 1 bit color
    > system wide, etc.

    LCDs whether in a PDA or laptop computer or wristwatch, etc. actually
    use more power when turning a pixel black although the amount of power
    to turn pixels on and off is extremely small. The vast majority of
    power used by a color LCD is that which is used to power the light
    source.

    As a test, take the battery out of your wristwatch. Notice that the
    black numbers are no longer black without any power. It requires an
    electric current to flow through a pixel in an LCD to straighten out
    the liquid crystals thus causing light passing thru the crystal to
    remain polarized in a single direction, therefore dissallowing it to
    pass through the two cross polarized glass sandwiching outer surfaces.

    Your color LCD only has colored pixels just as a color CRT only has
    colored phosphor dots. There are no white pixels and there are no black
    pixels. White is caused by all three colors red, green and blue
    transmitting light to your eye. Black is caused by no light getting to
    your eye.

    If you want to reduce power consumption, turn off the backlight or at
    least turn it down as far as you can.

+ Reply to Thread