How does cable internet with pop3 mail work with Treos - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How does cable internet with pop3 mail work with Treos - Palmtop ; Hello I'm thinking of getting a Treos 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox. When I have a Treos, how does it ...

  1. How does cable internet with pop3 mail work with Treos

    Hello

    I'm thinking of getting a Treos 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I
    connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox.

    When I have a Treos, how does it connect to Roger's server. Does Bell Canada connect me to the internet and give me an
    SMTP outbound path for my mail, and connect me to my Rogers pop3 server? Do I just use my normal pop3 and smtp server
    names and passwords?

    Thanks

    Harry

  2. Re: How does cable internet with pop3 mail work with Treos

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm thinking of getting a Treos 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My
    > pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I
    > connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox.
    >
    > When I have a Treos, how does it connect to Roger's server. Does Bell
    > Canada connect me to the internet and give me an
    > SMTP outbound path for my mail, and connect me to my Rogers pop3 server?
    > Do I just use my normal pop3 and smtp server
    > names and passwords?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Harry

    For receiving email you should be able to point to your phne to the pop3
    server from your normal ISP. For sending you may have an issue. I use
    Earthlink and they will not allow me to send email through their SMTP
    servers unless I am connected to the Earthlink domain (ie from my home or
    dial-up connection). I have to send email through the phone company's mail
    server which is no big deal really.

    Another way to do this is to get the phone provisioned for CSD if Bell
    supports it. This is sort of a "virtual" modem connection which would allow
    you to dial up your ISP directly, assuming that Rogers provides dial-up
    access when you're not at home.

    Hope this clears things up a bit.

    Cheers
    TC

  3. Re: How does cable internet with pop3 mail work with Treos

    >"Harry" wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of getting a Treo 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My
    >> pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I
    >> connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox.

    The Treo 650 from Rogers, just started selling, is _much_ nicer. Spenier,
    but nicer.

    >> When I have a Treo, how does it connect to Rogers' servers? Does Bell
    >> Canada connect me to the internet and give me an
    >> SMTP outbound path for my mail, and connect me to my Rogers pop3 server?

    Best way to go.

    >> Do I just use my normal pop3 and smtp server names and passwords?

    Never set that up on Bell Mobility. Some carriers (T-Mobile, forex)
    require you to route your outbound mail traffic through a special SMTP
    server, so they can make soure you're not spamming, as well as possibly
    other reasons I don't yet grok. But, they do, so a special setup may be
    requires.

    There's no newsgroup for Bell Mobility, so your best bet to find a Bell
    Mobility PDA user would be alt.cellular.cdma. Looking in web boards like
    those hosted by www.pdaphonehomes.com for Bell Mobility user ifo could be
    useful, as would calling Bell Mobility Tech Support and asking them for the
    e-mail configuration settings so you could see what's involved.

    >For receiving email you should be able to point to your phne to the pop3
    >server from your normal ISP. For sending you may have an issue. I use
    >Earthlink and they will not allow me to send email through their SMTP
    >servers unless I am connected to the Earthlink domain (ie from my home or
    >dial-up connection). I have to send email through the phone company's mail
    >server which is no big deal really.
    >
    >Another way to do this is to get the phone provisioned for CSD if Bell
    >supports it. This is sort of a "virtual" modem connection which would allow
    >you to dial up your ISP directly, assuming that Rogers provides dial-up
    >access when you're not at home.

    *Groan* 14.4kbps maximum, huuuuuge latency. You'll be sorrrr-rrrrrry!

    --
    The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
    "Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.

+ Reply to Thread