autoscroll uses more power than manual scroll? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on autoscroll uses more power than manual scroll? - Palmtop ; Assume a typhoon hit and power is down, so we want to save power as we don't know when the next recharge will be feasible. Shall I change my (plucker) autoscroll habit to manual paging down? I.e., does paging down ...

  1. autoscroll uses more power than manual scroll?

    Assume a typhoon hit and power is down, so we want to save power as we
    don't know when the next recharge will be feasible.

    Shall I change my (plucker) autoscroll habit to manual paging down?
    I.e., does paging down one page at a time use less power than that one
    pixel jerking up of the whole screen every 1/10 of a second?
    I suppose autoscroll involves repainting the whole screen. At least I
    remember that's what was revealed using a VT100 terminal on a 1200
    baud modem or something.

    Or is most of the power just used in keeping the characters on the
    screen? Palm m505.

  2. Re: autoscroll uses more power than manual scroll?

    In article <87ekeie1sl.fsf@jidanni.org>, Dan Jacobson wrote:
    > I.e., does paging down one page at a time use less power than that one
    > pixel jerking up of the whole screen every 1/10 of a second?

    The Palm is heavily oriented toward sleeping whenever possible. The
    CPU halts whenever it can (that is to say, no user input and no processing
    to be done). When the screen is static, no scrolling, the CPU will mostly
    be idled and in power-saving mode. When auto-scrolling, it has to keep
    waking up and mucking with the screen. Autoscroll will use more power.

    However, whether it will use *significantly* more power is hard to say.
    Usually the screen is the big power hog, especially color ones. The only
    way to know is to test on your model of Palm.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread