"Safely Remove Hardware" - Palmtop

This is a discussion on "Safely Remove Hardware" - Palmtop ; When I connect my Tungsten T5 to a USB on my computer (Windows XP Pro), am I supposed to the the Tungsten as one of the hardware items listed under "Safely Remove Hardware"? My hotsyncs work OK. The reason I ...

  1. "Safely Remove Hardware"

    When I connect my Tungsten T5 to a USB on my computer (Windows XP Pro), am I supposed to the the Tungsten as one of the hardware items listed under "Safely Remove Hardware"?

    My hotsyncs work OK.

    The reason I ask is that I have 2 printers that are connected to USB ports on my computer, and both are listed when I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in my taskbar.

    Thanks if anyone can offer me any info

  2. Re: "Safely Remove Hardware"

    I would imagine that you'd see this in the list if you have the USB flash storage enabled,but not if it's just a PDA using Hotsync. I should add that I haven't seen a T5, so I don't know if it's possible to disable the USB flash storage feature on it.

    Mike.

    "scooby" wrote in message news:yk7Vd.71333$3d1.1825655@weber.videotron.net.. .
    When I connect my Tungsten T5 to a USB on my computer (Windows XP Pro), am I supposed to the the Tungsten as one of the hardware items listed under "Safely Remove Hardware"?

    My hotsyncs work OK.

    The reason I ask is that I have 2 printers that are connected to USB ports on my computer, and both are listed when I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in my taskbar.

    Thanks if anyone can offer me any info

  3. Re: "Safely Remove Hardware"

    "Mike" wrote:

    >I would imagine that you'd see this in the list if you have the
    >USB flash storage enabled,

    My laptop's built-in SD card reader lists *each and every card* I insert in that
    infernal 'safely remove' box. Safely removing cards got to be a pain quickly. So
    now I just make sure that the card is not being accessed and unplug it, ignoring
    the Safely remove icon. Never had a problem.

    Interestingly, apparently due to the mysteries of my OEM Windows XP OS, if I
    plug an *external* card reader into that same laptop, the card reader itself
    shows up in the 'Safely remove' box, but not the separate cards as before. So
    now the OS doesn't seem to care if I plug in my cards willy nilly.

    Anyway, with your T5, if you don't find anther answer, do a little
    experimenting. Perhaps you can use my system: wait til everything seems quiet
    and then pull the plug quick. Another words, practice unsafe PDA removal...

  4. Re: "Safely Remove Hardware"

    On 2005-03-02, AaronJ wrote:
    > Anyway, with your T5, if you don't find anther answer, do a little
    > experimenting. Perhaps you can use my system: wait til everything seems quiet
    > and then pull the plug quick. Another words, practice unsafe PDA removal...

    Is that the withdrawl method?

    --
    Toby.
    FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars