OT: Robots - good or bad? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on OT: Robots - good or bad? - Palmtop ; First there was the Roomba robotic vacuum - www.iRobot.com - which I couldn't agree more with, a vacuum that does the work for you! Then a UK pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that chases ...

  1. OT: Robots - good or bad?

    First there was the Roomba robotic vacuum - www.iRobot.com - which I
    couldn't agree more with, a vacuum that does the work for you! Then a UK
    pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that chases
    burglars (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
    xml=/news/2005/02/14/wball14.xml), and now Bush wants to invest in robot
    troops -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4199935.stm.

    I am perfectly comfortable with a robot vacuum but I am not too sure about
    robot troops - I feel almost like we are becoming characters in a
    Terminator movie.

    JK

  2. Re: OT: Robots - good or bad?

    JK Riley wrote:

    > Then a UK
    > pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that chases
    > burglars (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

    Does it want... information?

    - Logan

  3. Re: OT: Robots - good or bad?

    JK Riley wrote:

    > First there was the Roomba robotic vacuum - www.iRobot.com - which I
    > couldn't agree more with, a vacuum that does the work for you! Then a UK
    > pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that chases
    > burglars (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
    > xml=/news/2005/02/14/wball14.xml),

    Somebody didn't think this through. I wonder just how far you can throw one
    of the things and just how useful it is once it's been worked over with a
    golf club or baseball bat.

    > and now Bush wants to invest in robot
    > troops -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4199935.stm.
    >
    > I am perfectly comfortable with a robot vacuum but I am not too sure about
    > robot troops - I feel almost like we are becoming characters in a
    > Terminator movie.

    It's just a drone, it doesn't have volition. And I wonder how long it's
    going to take for the folks they're sending it after to figure out how to
    jam it's signals, or even worse send it back home guns blazing. Doubt that
    it does a duck and cover very effectively, suspect an RPG will mess it up
    real good, and I wonder if its field of vision is such that it's not
    possible to sneak up on it and take the aforementioned golf club or
    baseball bat to its camera, after which it's just mobile tripping hazard.

    They also need to consider the adage that "He who radiates is lost."

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

  4. Re: OT: Robots - good or bad?

    Logan Shaw wrote:
    > JK Riley wrote:
    >

    >>Then a UK
    >>pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that chases
    >>burglars (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

    > Does it want... information?
    >
    > - Logan

    When you wrote that, I almost made
    Number Two
    in my shorts.

  5. Re: OT: Robots - good or bad?

    Giacomo Corleone wrote...
    > Logan Shaw wrote:
    > > JK Riley wrote:
    > >

    > >>Then a UK
    > >>pape reported that there is a company marketing a robotic ball that

    chases
    > >>burglars (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

    > > Does it want... information?
    > >
    > > - Logan

    > When you wrote that, I almost made
    > Number Two
    > in my shorts.

    If we did want information, that's -too much- !

    - Peter

  6. Re: OT: Robots - good or bad?

    Peter Smith wrote:
    > Giacomo Corleone wrote...
    >
    >>Logan Shaw wrote:

    > chases

    >>>Does it want... information?
    >>>
    >>> - Logan

    >>When you wrote that, I almost made
    >>Number Two
    >>in my shorts.

    > If we did want information, that's -too much- !
    >
    > - Peter

    Sorry, can't help it. I'm a Prisoner of my own impulses.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind
    word alone. -Al

+ Reply to Thread