DateBk - Palmtop

This is a discussion on DateBk - Palmtop ; Help! I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one bit of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos, todo lists with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought ...

  1. DateBk

    Help!

    I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one bit
    of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos, todo lists
    with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought across any birthdays
    (that I can see)

    I have a fairly standard setup on my T|E with no hacks or anything. The
    birthdays show up in my regular calender, but they are entered in an
    individual's record in the contact database. However, DateBk doesn't seem to
    see that field.

    I don't really want to have to re-enter them all, as it was rather a chore
    in the first place. Am i doing something wrong, or is it the one thing
    DateBk doesn't do?! (seems surprising)

    Any help gratefully received!

    Dave

  2. Re: DateBk

    "David Gerrie" wrote in

    > I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one
    > bit of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos,
    > todo lists with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought
    > across any birthdays (that I can see)
    >
    > I have a fairly standard setup on my T|E with no hacks or anything.
    > The birthdays show up in my regular calender, but they are entered in
    > an individual's record in the contact database. However, DateBk
    > doesn't seem to see that field.

    Datebk5 replaces the datebook, not the addressbook. If you want the
    birthdays to show up in the calendar, there are a number of ways to do it.
    Happy Days is one of the most common, and it's freeware.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  3. Re: DateBk

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:49:30 -0000, "David Gerrie"
    wrote:

    >Help!
    >
    >I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one bit
    >of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos, todo lists
    >with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought across any birthdays
    >(that I can see)
    >
    >I have a fairly standard setup on my T|E with no hacks or anything. The
    >birthdays show up in my regular calender, but they are entered in an
    >individual's record in the contact database. However, DateBk doesn't seem to
    >see that field.
    >
    >I don't really want to have to re-enter them all, as it was rather a chore
    >in the first place. Am i doing something wrong, or is it the one thing
    >DateBk doesn't do?! (seems surprising)
    >
    >Any help gratefully received!
    >
    >Dave

    Try in this dedicated Yahoo Group for the Pimlico DateBk Products:

  4. Re: DateBk

    Cheers! That was a huge help - answered my question just by trawling through
    the archive.

    Should anyone be interested, it appears that they don't sync between the new
    addressbook and DateBk as the fields in addressbook have been changed and
    dateBk won't read them. I'm trying to find a solution!

    Dave

    "krewl" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:49:30 -0000, "David Gerrie"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Help!
    > >
    > >I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one

    bit
    > >of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos, todo

    lists
    > >with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought across any

    birthdays
    > >(that I can see)
    > >
    > >I have a fairly standard setup on my T|E with no hacks or anything. The
    > >birthdays show up in my regular calender, but they are entered in an
    > >individual's record in the contact database. However, DateBk doesn't seem

    > >see that field.
    > >
    > >I don't really want to have to re-enter them all, as it was rather a

    chore
    > >in the first place. Am i doing something wrong, or is it the one thing
    > >DateBk doesn't do?! (seems surprising)
    > >
    > >Any help gratefully received!
    > >
    > >Dave

    > Try in this dedicated Yahoo Group for the Pimlico DateBk Products:

  5. Re: DateBk

    It is alleged that David Gerrie claimed:

    ; Help!
    ;
    ; I have got DateBk 5 (v 5.4 I think it is) and I am struggling with one bit
    ; of it. In particular, although it happily imports all my memos, todo lists
    ; with categories, and appointments, etc it hasn't bought across any birthdays
    ; (that I can see)
    ;
    ; I have a fairly standard setup on my T|E with no hacks or anything. The
    ; birthdays show up in my regular calender, but they are entered in an
    ; individual's record in the contact database. However, DateBk doesn't seem to
    ; see that field.
    ;
    ; I don't really want to have to re-enter them all, as it was rather a chore
    ; in the first place. Am i doing something wrong, or is it the one thing
    ; DateBk doesn't do?! (seems surprising)

    The T|E, and accompanying desktop, does not use the traditional
    Datebook database. PalmOne "upgraded" it to use a different database.
    DateBk5 does not support the new proprietary database used by PalmOne
    on their new devices. It therefore does not support the new fields.

    If you want the birthdays to show up in the calendar, you will have to
    get the data entered into the standard Datebook database. One way, of
    course, is to manually enter them into DateBk5. There may be tools
    available that can read the info from where it is now and copy it over
    for you.

    You will probably want to have them entered in this format:

    Bob's Birthday (1975)

    all on the appointment line. DateBk5 will recognize the number in
    parenthesis as a starting year. When you tap and hold on it, the popup
    description will tell you how many years have elapsed since. I
    believe, but I'm not positive, that DateBk5 will also recognize curly,
    square and angle brackets for this.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: AVUNCULAR: In
    the manner of an uncle. An interestingly ambiguous - indeed multiguous
    - word, since there is no fixed or universal pattern of behavior for
    uncles.

+ Reply to Thread