Re: Unbiased comparison of PPC and Palm as an OS? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Unbiased comparison of PPC and Palm as an OS? - Palmtop ; On Friday, Tony Clark wrote: > The above information is a bit inaccurate. If you > want to play MP3s on your Palm you can simply copy > them over to an SD card on your PC with no conversion ...

  1. Re: Unbiased comparison of PPC and Palm as an OS?

    On Friday, Tony Clark wrote:

    > The above information is a bit inaccurate. If you
    > want to play MP3s on your Palm you can simply copy
    > them over to an SD card on your PC with no conversion
    > whatsoever. Palm uses a standed PC folder structure
    > for these files. Likewise you can move GIF and JPEG
    > files directly to the Palm. I belive that AVI files
    > can be accomodated with a third party video player
    > too.

    That may well be the case - to be honest, when I had
    PalmOS devices I didn't bother with mp3, photo or any
    video files at all. However, I think the point still
    holds that other file formats are not so easy to
    move from desktop to Palm. Word documents, spread-
    sheets, etc, all have to go through a conversion,
    unless you use third party applications. Again - not
    very many of my clients use Word and Excel documents
    on their handheld - I personally have a few but only
    for reference. But the whole FAT directory structure
    of PocketPC is just a lot easier to use and get your
    head around than the Palm system. At least for me!

    > No disrespect intended but do you really do photo
    > editing on a PDA?

    Yes - in a fairly basic way. Just last weekend I was
    at a family gathering. Took photo's on the digital
    camera, put the CF card into the Axim. Copied each of
    the 3MB files to my SD card and cropped and resized
    them to 800x600 and emailed them from my Axim using
    my wifi card and a wireless network. Needless to say,
    the rest of the family in Australia were delighted
    to be able to see the photo's just minutes after they
    were taken.

    > You must have some incredible eyes! LOL The Palm
    > displays photos quite nicely, but I can't imagine
    > editing them, expect maybe for a simple cropping
    > operation.

    With the VGA screen of the Axim, I am happy to edit
    by cropping, re-sizing, sharpening, etc. Of course,
    they are never going to be as good as when done on
    the desktop for printing, but for emailing out on
    the spot, it's great.

    > And what about movies? Personally I haven't seen a
    > PDA yet that I would want to watch a movie on, the
    > screen is just too small regardless of the resolution.

    The week before the above family fathering I and my
    three boys were staying with my in-laws for a saturday
    night. Of course, I didn't want to be up till the early
    hours discussing politics with my wife's parents, so I
    took myself to bed, plugged the charger into the wall
    and my headphones nto the Axim and quite happily watched
    Insomnia and the Dark Side Of The Wall classic album
    documentary. The screen was a perfect size for laying
    in bed with it propped up on your chest.

    > Of course if your company runs some other application
    > like Lotus Notes or Unix base SMTP mail instead of
    > Exchange/Outlook then you're kind of hosed with PPC,
    > you'll have to load Outlook to synch with the PDA. At
    > least Palm gives you an option to sync the data onto
    > a PC with Palm Desktop.

    Agreed - but then my clients don't work for companies
    with set-ups like that. My clients run small businesses
    and in general have MS Office and Outlook installed. I
    gave up trying to push alternatives like OpenOffice and
    have learned to accept that MS does own almost all the
    desktops out there. If I were advising a much larger
    organisation on handhelds, then I would have to look
    at alternatives if they were running anything other
    Exchange, etc.

    > Palm can do all that too, although some Palms do not
    > have wireless capability.

    Do any Palm devices have WiFi built in? One of the big
    reasons for my move away from PalmOS was the lack of
    built-in WiFi. Lots have bluetooth, some have the ability
    to use SD WiFi cards. Many do not. To my mind, WiFi is
    about the biggest area that Palm have ****ed up in.

    > While I do enjoy gaming quite a bit neither Palm nor
    > PPC is really the best gaming handheld.

    Bery, very true. I've not tried the Gameboy/PS emulators
    and am happy with Bejeweled, Monopoly and a couple of
    other nice simple, slow and quiet games!

    --
    Bryan Anderson

  2. Re: Unbiased comparison of PPC and Palm as an OS?

    "Bryan Anderson" wrote in message
    > On Friday, Tony Clark wrote:

    SNIP

    > That may well be the case - to be honest, when I had
    > PalmOS devices I didn't bother with mp3, photo or any
    > video files at all. However, I think the point still
    > holds that other file formats are not so easy to
    > move from desktop to Palm. Word documents, spread-
    > sheets, etc, all have to go through a conversion,
    > unless you use third party applications. Again - not
    > very many of my clients use Word and Excel documents
    > on their handheld - I personally have a few but only
    > for reference. But the whole FAT directory structure
    > of PocketPC is just a lot easier to use and get your
    > head around than the Palm system. At least for me!

    With Docs to Go you can support native Word and Excell formats on the T3
    without requiring any conversion. As I stated, the Palm uses a FAT format on
    the SD card and files can be copies to and from the card easily. If you want
    direct access to the SD card you can get a third party application that will
    do that (this comes standard on the T5).

    SNIP

    >> Palm can do all that too, although some Palms do not
    >> have wireless capability.

    > Do any Palm devices have WiFi built in? One of the big
    > reasons for my move away from PalmOS was the lack of
    > built-in WiFi. Lots have bluetooth, some have the ability
    > to use SD WiFi cards. Many do not. To my mind, WiFi is
    > about the biggest area that Palm have ****ed up in.

    The Tungsten C has WiFi. Why Palm did not include WiFi in the T5 is beyond
    me. I will say, however, that I am not missing WiFi so much since I have a
    BT enabled phone that is EDGE capable. While the performance is not
    broadband speed it does have the luxury of not being tied to a Hot Spot. I
    wouldn't mind having WiFi but I doubt I'd use it in the office and I am not
    so sure I want to pay an additional $20US per month for yet another way to
    access the Internet. I'd love it if someone like Earthlink, MSN or AOL would
    put together an all-in-one package, Broadband at home + WiFi Hotspots + GPRS
    data access.

    Cheers
    TC

+ Reply to Thread