Palm and Pascal - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm and Pascal - Palmtop ; Hello, I am wanting to buy a Palm but I don't know which. If somebody can help myself, I thank. I need Palm that allows programming in Basic and maybe in Pascal, photographic camera and great autonomy of batteries. It ...

  1. Palm and Pascal

    Hello,
    I am wanting to buy a Palm but I don't know which. If somebody can help
    myself, I thank.
    I need Palm that allows programming in Basic and maybe in Pascal,
    photographic camera and great autonomy of batteries. It will be used for
    complex calculations during autonomous flight.
    TIA
    Fernando Carvalho
    www.fernandocarvalho.cjb.net
    www.velhochico.cjb.net

  2. Re: Palm and Pascal

    "Fernando" wrote in

    > Hello,
    > I am wanting to buy a Palm but I don't know which. If somebody can
    > help myself, I thank.
    > I need Palm that allows programming in Basic and maybe in Pascal,
    > photographic camera and great autonomy of batteries. It will be used
    > for complex calculations during autonomous flight.

    Pick one. They all can do the calculations, and there is a Pascal compiler
    that runs on Palms. Search for Pocket Pascal.

    Any of the models with a universal connector can accept a camera, but only
    the Zire 71 & Zire 72 have built-in cameras, AFAIK. Battery life is a
    problem with all the newer models with faster processors and high-
    resolution color screens.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

  3. Re: Palm and Pascal

    Palm applications are traditionally developed with a cross-compiler
    run on a PC or Macintosh, and downloaded to the Palm device. While
    there are compilers that run on the Palm device itself, most
    developers find the PC or Macintosh hosted compilers to be much
    better.

    Usually, Palm applications are built in C or C++, as the compilers for
    these languages tend to be more mature than compilers for other
    languages, and as the Palm OS API is defined in terms of the C
    language. It is possible to develop Palm applications in other
    languages; see http://www.palmsource.com/developers/ and
    http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~winikoff/palm/dev.html (Google cache at
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...elopment&hl=en).

    Palm products extend their battery life by turning themselves off over
    99% of the time and by running the CPU at slow clock speeds. Most
    Palm devices will exhaust their batteries within a few hours if called
    on to perform continuous calculation.

    Palm devices can communicate with the world through either their
    infrared port or their serial port. Running the infrared port takes
    more power than running the serial port. Controlling a number of
    effectors, or receiving input from a number of sensors, would require
    designing and running a multiplexing protocol for the serial line;
    supporting the multiplexing protocol from the aircraft side would
    require a traditional microcontroller.

    You may find a microcontroller both more flexible and more effective
    than a Palm. Microcontrollers tend to need fewer support parts and
    tend to include a large number of both digital and analog I/O ports.
    Microcontrollers come in 4- to 32-bit widths, with CPU speeds from
    several 4-bit KIPS (Kilo Instructions Per Second) to several hundred
    32-bit MIPS. Popular microcontroller architectures are 8052 (8 bit),
    AVR (8 bit RISC), ARM (32 bit RISC), 68000 (16/32 bit CISC), and 80386
    (32 bit CISC).

  4. Re: Palm and Pascal

    In article , Brian Hetrick wrote:
    > Palm products extend their battery life by turning themselves off over
    > 99% of the time and by running the CPU at slow clock speeds. Most
    > Palm devices will exhaust their batteries within a few hours if called
    > on to perform continuous calculation.

    The 68k-based onese will last longer than the new ARM ones, though
    they will in general be slower. It depends on how much calculation
    you need. For such a project, though, you may be able to use external
    batteries to supplement the lifetime.

    > You may find a microcontroller both more flexible and more effective
    > than a Palm.

    I, too, would suggest investigating this route.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "Building demolition, while requiring some thinking to be done
    properly, tends to take much less time, thought and effort than
    building construction. There is strong similarity in other areas
    of human activity." - Eugene Zaikonnikov

+ Reply to Thread