Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5 - Palmtop ; In article , Richard Smol wrote: > I have a palmOne Tungsten T5 and wonder if it could be used as > a MIDI controller, e.g. connect it to my PC through USB (or > possibly Bluetooth) and have it ...

  1. Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5

    In article <1109328504.329735.37190@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    Richard Smol wrote:
    > I have a palmOne Tungsten T5 and wonder if it could be used as
    > a MIDI controller, e.g. connect it to my PC through USB (or
    > possibly Bluetooth) and have it communicate with a program, which
    > in turn sends data to MIDI ports on that PC.

    http://www.minimusic.com/hardware2.html

    "However, USB does not currently allow the handheld to act as a
    'host' to other devices, so USB cannot be used to talk to MIDI
    hardware (The MIDI hardware can't act as a host either!)."

    There might be an IR- or Bluetooth-to-MIDI converter, but you'd
    have to Google for that. There are music programs that run *on* the
    Palm, though; the above site has some.

    (Too bad USB seems to have outstripped Firewire. Firewire's peer-
    to-peer, you don't *have* to have a 'host' (i.e. PC) somewhere with
    Firewire.)

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "It is interesting that [the administration] presents Iraq as
    (a) a terrible threat to the world with unlimited capacity for
    raining down death and (b) a nation with a demoralized and
    scattered army that we can take over in a matter of weeks using
    our fine new weapons systems and maybe a soldier or two."
    - Jon Carroll

  2. Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5

    Ray Ingles wrote:
    > In article <1109328504.329735.37190@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    > Richard Smol wrote:
    > > I have a palmOne Tungsten T5 and wonder if it could be used as
    > > a MIDI controller, e.g. connect it to my PC through USB (or
    > > possibly Bluetooth) and have it communicate with a program, which
    > > in turn sends data to MIDI ports on that PC.

    > http://www.minimusic.com/hardware2.html
    >
    > "However, USB does not currently allow the handheld to act as a
    > 'host' to other devices, so USB cannot be used to talk to MIDI
    > hardware (The MIDI hardware can't act as a host either!)."
    >
    > There might be an IR- or Bluetooth-to-MIDI converter, but you'd
    > have to Google for that. There are music programs that run *on* the
    > Palm, though; the above site has some.
    >
    > (Too bad USB seems to have outstripped Firewire. Firewire's peer-
    > to-peer, you don't *have* to have a 'host' (i.e. PC) somewhere with
    > Firewire.)

    Since I want to use the Tungsten to control software
    synths on my PC, I don't mind if it can't be used with other
    hardware. I am thinking in line of a TCP/IP connection
    from the handheld to a server on the PC, which in turn handles
    all the MIDI related functionality. I gathered it can be done
    through Bluetooth... could it also be done over USB? It doesn't
    have to be TCP/IP per se, but I know how to program for
    that protocol.

    RS

    RS

  3. Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5

    In article <1109358546.517178.220340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    Richard Smol wrote:

    > Since I want to use the Tungsten to control software
    > synths on my PC, I don't mind if it can't be used with other
    > hardware. I am thinking in line of a TCP/IP connection
    > from the handheld to a server on the PC, which in turn handles
    > all the MIDI related functionality.

    If you can get an IP connection between the Palm and the PC (e.g.
    via PPP over USB) it should work, yes. If you're willing to program
    some stuff yourself, it should be doable.

    --

    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
    a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln

  4. Re: MIDI controllers for PalmOs 5

    Ray Ingles wrote:
    > In article <1109358546.517178.220340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    > Richard Smol wrote:
    >
    > > Since I want to use the Tungsten to control software
    > > synths on my PC, I don't mind if it can't be used with other
    > > hardware. I am thinking in line of a TCP/IP connection
    > > from the handheld to a server on the PC, which in turn handles
    > > all the MIDI related functionality.

    > If you can get an IP connection between the Palm and the PC (e.g.
    > via PPP over USB) it should work, yes. If you're willing to program
    > some stuff yourself, it should be doable.

    I got me Softick PPP over USB, which has the advantage that it works
    with Bluetooth just as well. Now I am in the process of making a
    simple client and server.. but so far the Java API only seems to
    support the HTTP protocol. But, it's a start...

    Thanks for the input.

    RS

+ Reply to Thread