Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems - OS2 ; On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:40:15 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote: > Does anyone have a list of vendors offering new systems that will be > compatible with eCS? I am now considering purchase of a new system and > would prefer ...

  1. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:40:15 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Does anyone have a list of vendors offering new systems that will be
    > compatible with eCS? I am now considering purchase of a new system and
    > would prefer eCS compatibility to maximize my options. I need a hardware
    > RAID for speed and reliability. I need SMP for processing power.

    No comment for RAID because I have no need for.

    eComStation 2.0 will released with SMP on board. For eComStation 1.2R
    there is an addition packet available. Try a look at

    > The machine may ultimately wind up running Windows or Linux, but I am sure
    > if it will run eCS well that these will also operate and keep my options
    > open. I would prefer to stick with eCS, but this machine will need to run
    > the Hercules IBM mainframe emulator and there is no binary available for
    > eCS at present. Perhaps it can be ported, but I don't know if I have
    > either the resources or the time to do so.

    If it runs under OS/2 it will run under eComStation without any
    modification.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  2. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:43:23 +0000, Herbert Rosenau wrote:

    > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:40:15 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have a list of vendors offering new systems that will be
    >> compatible with eCS? I am now considering purchase of a new system and
    >> would prefer eCS compatibility to maximize my options. I need a
    >> hardware RAID for speed and reliability. I need SMP for processing
    >> power.

    > No comment for RAID because I have no need for.
    >
    > eComStation 2.0 will released with SMP on board. For eComStation 1.2R
    > there is an addition packet available. Try a look at

    Both SMP and RAID are doable on eCS. One can still get SCSI IBM
    ServeRAID-6M controllers that have OS/2 drivers. Although these are
    becoming scarce at PC wholesale distributors. My company has yet to
    actually build a hardware SCSI RAID box to run eCS but we do offer them
    (so far we've only done Linux and Unix server boxes).

    >> The machine may ultimately wind up running Windows or Linux, but I am
    >> sure if it will run eCS well that these will also operate and keep my
    >> options open. I would prefer to stick with eCS, but this machine will
    >> need to run the Hercules IBM mainframe emulator and there is no binary
    >> available for eCS at present. Perhaps it can be ported, but I don't
    >> know if I have either the resources or the time to do so.

    > If it runs under OS/2 it will run under eComStation without any
    > modification.

    It does not run on OS/2 (I checked). The Op sent my company a message
    looking for the solution to this. For now I suggest Linux for his needs
    unless someone at Netlabs wants to pick up the ball on Hercules. It is an
    open source project: http://www.hercules-390.org/

    Gene Alexander (e-mail: os2sales \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  3. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    In , on 10/04/2007
    at 05:41 PM, ERACC said:

    >On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:43:23 +0000, Herbert Rosenau wrote:

    >> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:40:15 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have a list of vendors offering new systems that will be
    >>> compatible with eCS? I am now considering purchase of a new system and
    >>> would prefer eCS compatibility to maximize my options. I need a
    >>> hardware RAID for speed and reliability. I need SMP for processing
    >>> power.

    >> No comment for RAID because I have no need for.
    >>
    >> eComStation 2.0 will released with SMP on board. For eComStation 1.2R
    >> there is an addition packet available. Try a look at
    >>

    >Both SMP and RAID are doable on eCS. One can still get SCSI IBM
    >ServeRAID-6M controllers that have OS/2 drivers. Although these are
    >becoming scarce at PC wholesale distributors. My company has yet to
    >actually build a hardware SCSI RAID box to run eCS but we do offer them
    >(so far we've only done Linux and Unix server boxes).

    >>> The machine may ultimately wind up running Windows or Linux, but I am
    >>> sure if it will run eCS well that these will also operate and keep my
    >>> options open. I would prefer to stick with eCS, but this machine will
    >>> need to run the Hercules IBM mainframe emulator and there is no binary
    >>> available for eCS at present. Perhaps it can be ported, but I don't
    >>> know if I have either the resources or the time to do so.

    >> If it runs under OS/2 it will run under eComStation without any
    >> modification.

    >It does not run on OS/2 (I checked). The Op sent my company a message
    >looking for the solution to this. For now I suggest Linux for his needs
    >unless someone at Netlabs wants to pick up the ball on Hercules. It is an
    > open source project: http://www.hercules-390.org/

    That may soon change! Paul Smedley is trying to port it at this time and
    as of this morning he has made reasonable progress in compiling Hercules.
    He noted he is down to a single undefined reference, but as a
    non-programmer that doesn't mean much to me. Once he gets this to a point
    where it can be tested I will do so on an existing system simply to see if
    it works correctly.

    I have also figured out a way to get at least some information from
    ecomstation.ru about SMP boards that work with eCS 1.2R, where they list
    4: ASUS A8N-SLI, A8N-E and P5WD2 premium and Intel D945GNT as working with
    that release. I also tried a search on IBM for Warp Server SMP and got
    results on five servers: x220(8645), x230(8658), x240(8664), x340(8656)
    and Netfinity 7000 M10(8680) as supported.

    Now for a related question. Has SMP support been included in the new 1.2R
    release as well? Looking on the CD I see a directory that seems to apply
    to SMP(:\os2image\debug\smp) and while the "Multi Processor Pack" is still
    referred to in the description of the product there is no order number or
    price on either ecomstation.biz or mensys.nl that I can find.

    If SMP support is included and thus installable from the 1.2R CD then I
    might be able to find a local dealer willing to allow me to try to install
    it to verify function before I purchase a system that is not known to work
    with the package. Otherwise I might have to purchase a system that I
    suspect will work without testing, but in that case I will want an
    understanding that I will be able to return it within a reasonable period
    if it does not suit my purposes.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  4. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:41:00 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    > Perhaps someone can clarify for me about ACPI and RAID
    > drivers. When I sent queries to the listed vendors, some which appear to
    > be gone at this point, one of them responded that there is a issue with
    > ACPI and mass storage device drivers. He indicated that while Dani could
    > address this for PATA/SATA drives that there was no expectation that RAID
    > vendors could be expected to revise theirs.

    I do not know of many, if any, RAID drivers that work with current cards that
    you can buy new now. I have an LSiLogic MegaRAID Express 500 card in one of my
    machines but that is not using ACPI, just OS2APIC.PSD. At some point I should
    probably try it with acpi.psd and see if it works since I suspect that I will
    need to replace that motherboard before very long (I've been having some
    slightly odd problems like a reboot that went into power down mode and never
    came out - but being left overnight fixed it - which sort of looks like a
    hardware issue). I don't think you can still get an Express 500 and nothing
    newer has OS/2 drivers from LSiLogic I think. The IBM you've been mentioning
    sounds like it might be the last remaining hope but I've never used one so don't
    know how good they are nor whether they'll work with acpi.psd.

    In my Core 2 Duo machine I have a SATA RAID card by Netcell but they've gone
    titsup.com since I bought it and you can only find those in retailers who still
    have stock. It's been OK but it's not as rock solid as a decent SCSI RAID card -
    a drive failed the other day and the whole array would not rebuild - it got
    stuck at 97.4% and stayed there for days. I ended up having to copy all 450GB of
    data off it, rebuild it from scratch and copy it all back to get it back to
    'optimal' status and since then I no longer have the same degree of trust in it
    that I once did. However that one works nicely with Dani's driver and ACPI.

    Your other option would be to find a RAID cabinet and use it to give you
    hardware redundancy then find a SCSI driver that works with ACPI and just use
    that.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On 10/04/07 05:21 pm Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> Perhaps someone can clarify for me about ACPI and RAID
    >> drivers. When I sent queries to the listed vendors, some which appear to
    >> be gone at this point, one of them responded that there is a issue with
    >> ACPI and mass storage device drivers. He indicated that while Dani could
    >> address this for PATA/SATA drives that there was no expectation that RAID
    >> vendors could be expected to revise theirs.

    > I do not know of many, if any, RAID drivers that work with current cards that
    > you can buy new now. I have an LSiLogic MegaRAID Express 500 card in one of my
    > machines but that is not using ACPI, just OS2APIC.PSD. At some point I should
    > probably try it with acpi.psd and see if it works since I suspect that I will
    > need to replace that motherboard before very long (I've been having some
    > slightly odd problems like a reboot that went into power down mode and never
    > came out - but being left overnight fixed it - which sort of looks like a
    > hardware issue). I don't think you can still get an Express 500 and nothing
    > newer has OS/2 drivers from LSiLogic I think.

    Some of the later LSI Logic boards use the MPTFusion driver (I think I
    have the name right), LSIMPT.ADD.

    Perce

  6. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    In , on 10/04/2007
    at 04:21 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >I do not know of many, if any, RAID drivers that work with current cards
    >that you can buy new now. I have an LSiLogic MegaRAID Express 500 card
    >in one of my machines but that is not using ACPI, just OS2APIC.PSD. At
    >some point I should probably try it with acpi.psd and see if it works
    >since I suspect that I will need to replace that motherboard before very
    >long (I've been having some slightly odd problems like a reboot that
    >went into power down mode and never came out - but being left overnight
    >fixed it - which sort of looks like a hardware issue). I don't think you
    >can still get an Express 500 and nothing newer has OS/2 drivers from
    >LSiLogic I think. The IBM you've been mentioning sounds like it might be
    >the last remaining hope but I've never used one so don't know how good
    >they are nor whether they'll work with acpi.psd.

    I would be interested in the results of you testing the Express 500 in a
    system with the ACPI.PSD, as if your Express 500 works properly in that
    environment I would suspect another card with OS/2 drivers is likely to
    behave as well.

    >In my Core 2 Duo machine I have a SATA RAID card by Netcell but they've
    >gone titsup.com since I bought it and you can only find those in
    >retailers who still have stock. It's been OK but it's not as rock solid
    >as a decent SCSI RAID card -
    >a drive failed the other day and the whole array would not rebuild - it
    >got stuck at 97.4% and stayed there for days. I ended up having to copy
    >all 450GB of data off it, rebuild it from scratch and copy it all back to
    >get it back to 'optimal' status and since then I no longer have the same
    >degree of trust in it that I once did. However that one works nicely
    >with Dani's driver and ACPI.

    Sorry to hear that Netcell is gone, that was one option I thought of as a
    possibiliy as well. Since it is gone I will have to go with one of the
    cards that is still out there with OS/2 drivers. They are all older cards
    of course, but they are available.

    >Your other option would be to find a RAID cabinet and use it to give you
    >hardware redundancy then find a SCSI driver that works with ACPI and just
    >use that.

    Do you have an example of one of these in case I need to look into it
    later? I know at least one SCSI card that works with eCS 2.0 RC2 and ACPI
    as that is one of the systems I am testing with it. That is why I am
    interested in seeing the results of you testing your MegaRAID in a eCS 2.0
    RC2 environment with ACPI.PSD enabled. That would open up many new
    systems as options for me to consider.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  7. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:41:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    > In , on 10/04/2007
    > at 04:21 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > said:
    >
    > I would be interested in the results of you testing the Express 500 in a
    > system with the ACPI.PSD, as if your Express 500 works properly in that
    > environment I would suspect another card with OS/2 drivers is likely to
    > behave as well.

    Given the stress I had to make this particular system work in the first place,
    I'm very reluctant to touch it unless it's necessary!

    > Sorry to hear that Netcell is gone, that was one option I thought of as a
    > possibiliy as well. Since it is gone I will have to go with one of the
    > cards that is still out there with OS/2 drivers. They are all older cards
    > of course, but they are available.

    You could still buy their cards (rebadged as XFX Revo 64's) until very recently.
    I bought a 3 port card when they were on clearance at a UK retailer and it's
    sitting in a bag waiting for me to find a use for it.

    > >Your other option would be to find a RAID cabinet and use it to give you
    > >hardware redundancy then find a SCSI driver that works with ACPI and just
    > >use that.

    > Do you have an example of one of these in case I need to look into it
    > later? I know at least one SCSI card that works with eCS 2.0 RC2 and ACPI
    > as that is one of the systems I am testing with it. That is why I am
    > interested in seeing the results of you testing your MegaRAID in a eCS 2.0
    > RC2 environment with ACPI.PSD enabled. That would open up many new
    > systems as options for me to consider.

    The only experience of them that I have is with an Infortrend EonStore box at
    work. It's an 8 bay SATA enclosure with a pair of U320 SCSI ports on the back.
    Ours is attached to an Adaptec ASC39320R in a Linux box. Their products seem
    fairly good, certainly had few problems so far at work.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    In , on 10/05/2007
    at 12:20 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:41:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation,
    >me@privacy.net wrote:

    >> In , on 10/04/2007
    >> at 04:21 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    >> said:
    >>
    >> I would be interested in the results of you testing the Express 500 in a
    >> system with the ACPI.PSD, as if your Express 500 works properly in that
    >> environment I would suspect another card with OS/2 drivers is likely to
    >> behave as well.

    >Given the stress I had to make this particular system work in the first
    >place, I'm very reluctant to touch it unless it's necessary!

    Understandable. I also took a look at the eCS 2.0 RC2 CD a bit more and I
    see the following in ACPI_SMP_DRV.DOC:

    * MRAID.SYS v2e.03 (MegaRAID 475 Express 500 RAID works on IRQ 18), use
    parameter /IRQ 18.

    So it appears that at least one RAID card is working with ACPI on the RC2
    systems. Is the above driver the one you are using?

    >> Sorry to hear that Netcell is gone, that was one option I thought of as a
    >> possibiliy as well. Since it is gone I will have to go with one of the
    >> cards that is still out there with OS/2 drivers. They are all older cards
    >> of course, but they are available.

    >You could still buy their cards (rebadged as XFX Revo 64's) until very
    >recently. I bought a 3 port card when they were on clearance at a UK
    >retailer and it's sitting in a bag waiting for me to find a use for it.

    Given your documented experience in the prior post I think I will let this
    wait until I see what else I can find.

    >> >Your other option would be to find a RAID cabinet and use it to give you
    >> >hardware redundancy then find a SCSI driver that works with ACPI and just
    >> >use that.

    >> Do you have an example of one of these in case I need to look into it
    >> later? I know at least one SCSI card that works with eCS 2.0 RC2 and ACPI
    >> as that is one of the systems I am testing with it. That is why I am
    >> interested in seeing the results of you testing your MegaRAID in a eCS 2.0
    >> RC2 environment with ACPI.PSD enabled. That would open up many new
    >> systems as options for me to consider.

    >The only experience of them that I have is with an Infortrend EonStore
    >box at work. It's an 8 bay SATA enclosure with a pair of U320 SCSI ports
    >on the back. Ours is attached to an Adaptec ASC39320R in a Linux box.
    >Their products seem fairly good, certainly had few problems so far at
    >work.

    Taking a quick look at the Infortrend EonStor line the prices might be a
    bit out of my range, but I will do a bit more research before I write them
    off entirely. It does sound like a possible way to get around a lack of
    RAID support under eCS 2.0, which may not be as big an issue as I think at
    present given the above documented RAID driver.

    If the above driver is the one you are using could you tell me how happy
    you are with the driver and the product? I know just a bit on the IBM
    ServeRAID systems, as I had to reconfigure one on a server a customer was
    using last year. I was interested in particular to see an enhanced RAID 5
    that used one more drive but then could cope with a single drive failure
    without losing RAID 5 performance.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  9. Re: System vendors for eCS compatible systems

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:52:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    > If the above driver is the one you are using could you tell me how happy
    > you are with the driver and the product?

    It is the driver and I've had 0 problems with either it or the card. But I doubt
    if you can buy one now as it's got to be 5 years old or more.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

+ Reply to Thread